Here we go! Chuck's new build

flooddc

We finally settled down a bit. So, it's time to get it running.

My (wishful) plan is to get it done and get my livestock transferred by this Christmas/New year.

here are the tanks:

tanks

Things to do:

-resealed the large tank since my plan is id keep it long term.

-drill the cube and add overflow.

-insulate and build a wall and stand for both tanks.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tank looks too small for the space. Need to go bigger.

+1, looks like a 300 would fit nice.

You go Chuck :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Tank looks too small for the space. Need to go bigger.

+1, looks like a 300 would fit nice.

gotta down grade! budget totally blown.

Where is all your livestock?  Looks like you have a nice spot for the new setup.

At my old place! I have been running back and forth to feed the fish and do maintenance.

chuck, sorry if I missed it but where did you move to?

we all would love to see another DD but I'm glad you have your head on straight and will build according to your time and budget. That sure is a lot more room than the closet you had before and hope it makes things more convenient and efficient for you! keep us posted!

chuck, sorry if I missed it but where did you move to?

we all would love to see another DD but I'm glad you have your head on straight and will build according to your time and budget. That sure is a lot more room than the closet you had before and hope it makes things more convenient and efficient for you! keep us posted!

Darnestown...I was originally going to get the 300DD from you guy, but had to changed course and go smaller.

Nice chuck! I just went through the same thing. I feel for you it was stressful moving my tank. I even blew my budget for my upgrade.

• 4 weeks later...

Hasn't move an inch!!! at this rate...I think it will take years.

Just did some maintenance and water chance on old tanks over Christmas break.

A few colonies died. massive colony of heliopora died as I am clueless since it's one of the easiest coral to keep. Small colony purple bonsai also gone completely. Had this for 3+ years from a tiny frag.

IMG 2757

Overall, everything else doing well. Some sps are growing nicely, some barely. 

Hopefully, motivate enough to get this build going...

• 1 month later...

How much longer? I have some nems for you.

:laugh:  hopefully before the next water changes.

man! I wish I have a pneumatic nailer. My hammering skill in not as good as it used to. Keep missing the nails.

pickup some more lumber today and got a bit more progress.

installed carpet on the basement stairs. No more cold feet coming down the basement  :happy:

IMG 2839

Tanks stand constructions:

IMG 2840

IMG 2841

IMG 2842

IMG 2843

IMG 2846

IMG 2848

I built many tank stands before, but none for this size tanks. Anyone with structural knowledge on here, please advise. Thank you

This stand is 120" x 30" constructed with 2x4's and 4 back legs are 4x4"s. Will add 3/4" plywood on top.

left side will hold a 93 cube (30"x30")

right side will hold 210 long (84"x24")

IMG 2845

Chuck, I've been busy, but it looks like you have me topped! Can't wait to see what happens when all this is up and running!

Chuck, I've been busy, but it looks like you have me topped! Can't wait to see what happens when all this is up and running!

Yeah! moving is a pain! we still have ton of stuffs at the old place. Now we really need to get everything moved out and put the house in the market for rent. Paying utilities for 2 houses is getting to us big time! 

As for the build, I am running into a snag. Realized the openings under the tanks are too narrow to fit a larger sumps. So now going to removed the center support and redo it a bit.

IMG_2846a_zps6645e947.jpg

Got to figure out how to do this safely. Started another thread on the stand and got some ideas, but still undecided. 

Perhaps incorporate a steel bar in the span area....!!!!

Can you notch the posts, remove the outer 2x4 and replace with a larger joist?

I could replaced with larger joist (2x8's or 2x10's) but i will either lose 3-5 inches under neath or raised my tank up 3-5". Since I am not as tall as average American, I preferred not to raised it too high. For these reasons, I am looking into ways to maintain the tank height. Between 38-40". But looks like I might have to sacrifice a few inches.