Here we go! Chuck's new build

flooddc

My first aquarium related flood basement :(

Last night I calculated that I have about 25 gallons of RODI to go and should be done by 8am. so I went to bed. Woke up around 6 and decided to go down and look. Walk down the basement and onto puddle of water. The darn rodi hose slipped off and dump around 10 gallons on the floor. Fortunate for me my basement is unfinished and clean up was easier. Now just need to dry off the wood framing under the stair.

Been there....Now is the time to cut that floor open and add a strip drain in your fish room. Then seal all the bottom plates with layers of liquid nails and silicone. This was the biggest fear I had when I built my fish room, water getting out. Now I just casually throw around gallons of water and could care less if I spill. I can even hose down the floor.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After running through your pics, it doesn't look like you have any drain lines in the area. You have the sump in the back left corner if you are facing the tank....So not an easy option. One thing you still could do is to build up a threshold to the fish room and use granite. If you make it 1" high it could hold maybe 60g of water on the floor, if you area is approx 16'x 6' x 1" deep (just guessing based on what I see. Then still seal the room.

Been there....Now is the time to cut that floor open and add a strip drain in your fish room. Then seal all the bottom plates with layers of liquid nails and silicone. This was the biggest fear I had when I built my fish room, water getting out. Now I just casually throw around gallons of water and could care less if I spill. I can even hose down the floor.

After running through your pics, it doesn't look like you have any drain lines in the area. You have the sump in the back left corner if you are facing the tank....So not an easy option. One thing you still could do is to build up a threshold to the fish room and use granite. If you make it 1" high it could hold maybe 60g of water on the floor, if you area is approx 16'x 6' x 1" deep (just guessing based on what I see. Then still seal the room.

Thanks,

When I framed the fish room, I sealed the inside floor along the treated 2x4 that I nailed to the floor. I also left the 2x4 as threshold by the future fish room door. So any water spilled or leak (inside the fish room) will not get out. Unfortunately, I hooked up the rodi temporary on the outside of the fish room. Gota be more careful from now on. Wife not too happy. 

I volunteer to do the jackhammer if you open the floor for a trench drain! I like opening up basement floors.

haha! not ready to cut the basement floor.

Thanks,

When I framed the fish room, I sealed the inside floor along the treated 2x4 that I nailed to the floor. I also left the 2x4 as threshold by the future fish room door. So any water spilled or leak (inside the fish room) will not get out. Unfortunately, I hooked up the rodi temporary on the outside of the fish room. Gota be more careful from now on. Wife not too happy. 

LOL, yea the purpose of sealing the room is to keep the water in that room...not to keep it out and flood the rest of the basement........But of course you have your screen name which is  a bad omen :laugh:

Good Luck, remind her it is fresh water and you planned this to actually clean the floor! :tongue:

(edited)

LOL, yea the purpose of sealing the room is to keep the water in that room...not to keep it out and flood the rest of the basement........But of course you have your screen name which is  a bad omen :laugh:

Good Luck, remind her it is fresh water and you planned this to actually clean the floor! :tongue:

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: my screen name is a constant reminder not to flood. but still flooded it anyway. maybe it a good thing, just testing out the boundary! If she don't mind a little wet floor now and then, maybe I can get me an indoor mini swimming pool.

Edited by flooddc

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: my screen name is a constant reminder not to flood. but still flooded it anyway. maybe it a good thing, just testing out the boundary! If she don't mind a little wet floor now and then, maybe I can get me an indoor mini swimming pool.

Better to flood with fresh then salt....

That would be a shallow pool. You could always hang 400W MH for some sun :tongue:

That would be a shallow pool. You could always hang 400W MH for some sun :tongue:

That would work! I'll put it on my Christmas wish list.

Flood the floor with salt water and buy some stingrays for a touch tank.

I don't make water without a float valve these days. Saved my hiney more times than I can count already.

I don't make water without a float valve these days. Saved my hiney more times than I can count already.

I bet your new neighbors below you are happy. Was not a big deal if you flood the place being on the first floor :laugh:

Yeah! I don't have a choice. My rodi water container is still @ the old place. So I had to make the water right into the 210. Dump 4 bags of saltmix into it and turn on the wp60.

Busy day today! My buddy came down and help me cut down 2 trees in my back yard and then moved some LR from old tanks to new tanks.

I managed to shift the corals around and got the majority of the LR out of my tanks. 

08358BC3-47E8-4CB8-B567-EBBF1E6E805C_zps

B8B86769-0E60-4E64-BB95-E8C62221126C_zps

Wow and no broken glass!  That is quite the feat to move the rock and then keep the coral in the tank.

It's passed 2 am, just finished placing my fish and corals into the new system.

Yet another very long day today. Thank you Cliff Puckstables and Greenhornet for helping.

Everything looks great! All live stock are accounted for except the male sixline. I left the powerhead and heater on in the old tank, hopefully will find him. Oh! Almost forgot the purple lobster, it got between the 2 rocks that a toadstool attached to and I was pinned between the rocks when I picked up the rocks. Poor thing didn't make it!

Temporary hang my lights until I get a chance to buy the proper hanging material to make it neater. Right now I am running 5 led modules. Although, its seem to be adequate but I will be adding 2 more from old tanks when I found my male 6-lines wrasse and completely transfer my nem tank.

IMG_1328_zpsfzyvtvli.jpg

IMG_1329_zpsgt2ji5ce.jpg

IMG_1330_zpsraxl0qvj.jpg

Temporary hang my lights until I get a chance to buy the proper hanging material to make it neater. Right now I am running 5 led modules. Although, its seem to be adequate but I will be adding 2 more from old tanks when I found my male 6-lines wrasse and completely transfer my nem tank.

IMG_1328_zpsfzyvtvli.jpg

IMG_1329_zpsgt2ji5ce.jpg

IMG_1330_zpsraxl0qvj.jpg

That looks amazing! What a beautiful set up

aquarium7043.png

What material are you going to face the front side with?  Drywall, wainscoting, plywood?

Bottom: I am thinking drywall on top of plywood. I wanted to make it removable in case I need to access it.

Top: I live pine so will do pine paneling that I can flip up to access the front of the tank.

Pictures!? let the man sleep!!!!!!!! :laugh:

a few hours will do. Need to get this done before spring break vacation.

That looks amazing! What a beautiful set up

aquarium7043.png

Thank you! Not as I pictured, but good enough. Ran out of real estate! should had went with 2 long tanks  :laugh:

Haha! Found the male six-line and caught him.

His wife gave him a hard time when I released him into the new tank. But he fought back.

35E2642A-71F4-4913-901B-D79435840E5A_zps