DuffyGeos 300g DT & 8 TANK FISH ROOM

It was for emphasis! I mean, not that I've uploaded any pictures either, lol.

JK....good seeing you and meeting Kevin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Made all the alterations this past week we needed to continue with plumbing. Rob was over today and we knocked out some work. Needed to buy another 60' of pipe for today, and another 20-30 fittings. After 5 hours of work and we made a fair bit of progress. One more day like today of plumbing and I think we will be moving water!

I can't wait!!

Tighten up!

Looking forward to some more pictures

I will get some up tomorrow. Thanks.

Now some of the details of the plumbing. Planning took a couple hours of Rob and I going over the options, how I wanted the system to function, easy of maintenance, clean set up, and ways to add or modify it in the future.  A plumbing item list was made, and then modified as we designed as we dry fit the lines.

gallery_2633915_1398_104806.jpg

Valves and unions, unions and valves..........I am starting to learn all the pieces. Since I have never done a tank with a union (or a bulkhead), it has taken a little to learn all the different pieces and what they are called. Valves, no problem.... 1" 90 degree slip x thread female fitting....took a little more time.

gallery_2633915_1398_6388.jpg

(edited)

After the first day of actual plumbing I decided I needed a board to mount the four pipe runs that would be mounted to this back wall. Then the wall to the right had to be built built out for the board so it could pass the leg of the stand smoothly. This also created a small shelf. This also entailed moving an outlet that was at the board level.

gallery_2633915_1398_102719.jpg

Edited by DuffyGeos

1.5" gate valves on the right side of the tank. We set them sideways to gain another 6" of working room between the right side of the tank, and the counter with the sink on the right (not in the picture).

gallery_2633915_1398_15177.jpg

i really enjoy plumbing photos and design, thanks for posting up some photos of the process. you're in great hands with rob's guidance, too, given his years of experience and know-how. keep us updated as you have time. I appreciate the deliberate and diligent effort - if anything, it just build the suspense ;)

Loving it !!!!! Man I could imagine the all the sweet smelling PVC primer and glue in the Air.  :wub:  :wub:  :laugh:

i really enjoy plumbing photos and design, thanks for posting up some photos of the process. you're in great hands with rob's guidance, too, given his years of experience and know-how. keep us updated as you have time. I appreciate the deliberate and diligent effort - if anything, it just build the suspense ;)

Rob is the man when it comes to plumbing tanks. I even commented to him this past weekend " Boy you must have been great playing with Legos as a kid!" The way he throws multiply fitting together. We have some tough angles to work around and so far it looks pretty clean.

Loving it !!!!! Man I could imagine the all the sweet smelling PVC primer and glue in the Air.  :wub:  :wub:  :laugh:

Thank you!

Yea, I think we were getting a little buzzed after 5 hours, lucky the room exhaust fan was on and I had the register fully opened. But when I would go up stairs and come back down you could really smell it as you walked into the room.

Here is the left side of the tank with the external overflow. It was suppose to be two overflows, but since the other side already has two overflows we decided to use one for the holes for a return line. I had originally wanted to run the return up the wall and over the too, but once the tank was installed and we started laying things out the MH lights would have been in the way, or it would not have looked very clean to make the return run which will dump into the tank in two different locations about a third and two thirds down the tank. This also allow me to undo the union in the overflow box and remove the entire return line above the tank in one piece.

gallery_2633915_1398_96140.jpg

Here is the manifold being built. We will use PVC cleaner to remove any of the red or black writing after everything is installed.

gallery_2633915_1398_49341.jpg

I don't know why I enjoy looking at plumbing pictures so much. Nice work. Glad your taking the writing off. I have used acetone before. Works well.

I don't know why I enjoy looking at plumbing pictures so much. Nice work. Glad your taking the writing off. I have used acetone before. Works well.

I was thinking of cleaning all the pipes before, but Rob spends some time trying to line the pipes up so the writing does not show, so no need clean all 100' l.f. of pipe.

Here is how the manifold will look installed, still just dry fit right now.  This is the left side of the tank. The pipe running to the left is the drain line for the main frag tank on the other side of the room. There will be three more lines that will go that direction. One which is T-ed off from the unfinished pipe which is the return The other two will be the return and the drain line for the QT frag tank on their own system.

gallery_2633915_1398_39838.jpg

A couple other changes were suggestions by Rob that I did not think about. One was to separate the two frag tanks so that 1- No water could be splashed between them, since they were on different systems. 2- Any salt creep that does show up (which it will no matter how careful I am) will not be able to be cleaned if the tanks are right next to each other and both sides are clear. This would probably drive me nuts. So the tanks are not separated by about an inch so they can be cleaned on the outside. This took some cutting of supports and the top of the frag table so that the tanks could shift and we could still tighten the bulkheads. Two was to cover the back of the frag tanks with window tint so I could put them next to the wall and would not see any salt creep between the wall and the frag tanks. So the frag tanks got a limo black tint on their backs. :cool:

gallery_2633915_1398_102156.jpg

I hope you mean that the QT, Frag,and Main tank are on their own systems correct ?

All drain lines go to my hot tub. Then they get run through a sand filter where little Scrubbing Bubbles are added by a DIY drip line off of an old rusty oil can. This mixture is then heated to 365 degrees as it runs through my dishwasher in the "special program". I then add Gerogia Clay which I import (that is the real secret) to filter out any remaining oil. I let it settle out and then run it through a few old shop rags and back into the reef tank, the QT tanks, and both frag tanks....so they are divided again to their own systems after the shop rags. ;)

QT Frag tank - own system

Grow out frag tank and main DT own system

1st QT fish tank - own system

2nd QT fish tank- own system

3rd QT fish tank- own system

Wow you are so creative. Keep the juices flowing. :)

Got to keep it fresh and light or the length of this project is going to kill me. :laugh:

I really hope we are having a wamas social here once it's running