DuffyGeos 300g DT & 8 TANK FISH ROOM

5 days without an update?

Sorry,

Needed a real fix, just got back last night from diving Cozumel since Nov 22.....boy do I love fish and reefs :laugh:

Now I want to add some green turtles, time for an upgrade! :tongue:

I will try and post a dive video if I can figure that out, I need to get one of my sons involved in that since they are in all of my dive videos.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry,

Needed a real fix, just got back last night from diving Cozumel since Nov 22.....boy do I love fish and reefs :laugh:

I will try and post a dive video if I can figure that out, I need to get one of my sons involved in that since they are in all of my dive videos.

Would you recommend Cozumel? Any good diving shops down there?

I am trying to plan a dive trip in February or March

Would you recommend Cozumel? Any good diving shops down there?

I am trying to plan a dive trip in February or March

I like Cozumel, been diving there for 20 years. It used to be better....but all the reefs in the world used to be better. :mad:

Dressel Divers is a company we tend to follow around the Caribbean. They are a Spanish company and are located at the Iberostar resorts around the world. We actually stayed at the Iberostar Paraiso in Playa Paraiso which is north of Playa del Carmen across from Cozumel. It was a 35 min boat ride each way to get to the same dive spots between Cozumel and Playa del Carmen, but that Iberostar is nicer then the one on Cozumel. Dressel always has good equipment, and really nice boats. They don't drop more then 6+/- divers on one diver spot at a time per divemaster which I really like. 20% discount if you book your dives online before you get there, and if you don't use them you can get a voucher for 5 years at any of their dive locations around the world which is a bonus.

Sorry,

Wow! How nice! YouTube and a link works

Wow! How nice! YouTube and a link works

That would imply that I would know how to get an image or video off my dive video camera and put it on the internet or Youtube........come on.....not my strong suit. :blink:

I may be the first person to be happy with a 4 gal flood...... This morning I decided to clean out a tube that is attached as an overflow for the skimmer on my 16g IM that then goes down a 2" PVC sleeve that I plumbed in the wall to the closet below the stairs in the fishroom. I had decided to waterproof the closet like I did the fish room and extend the floor drain into that room. Well my mistake this morning showed me that was a smart room. I figured I would pump hot water from a 5 gal plastic jug down the vinyl tubing to clean the algae out, which worked really well, totally clear again.

What I didn't plan on was when I pulled the tubing up to attach it to the 5gal jug, that was on the stairs, that the plastic tubing that was in the bucket would come out of the bucket and aim to the wall...... I thought I had pulled it up enough that it was in the 2" PVC sleeve and would just drip down the PVC into the bucket.....that is what I get for not checking and assuming. So after I cleaned the tube with 4 gals of water I went down stairs to empty the bucket...which was dry.

My instant shock turned to instant joy as I watched almost all the water go down the drain. I grabbed the squeegee and proceeded to pull the rest of the water to the drain, which also cleaned the floor. A quick wipe down of the wall and floor left a washcloth size towel partially damp, and I am good to go after 5 min.

Flood proofing the walls, PVC base board, 3 levels of sealant and silicone caulk along the baseboard and floor joint has paid off in spades. I will try to post pics of the water and the wave I made clearing it with the squeegee.

Nice to have well thought out backup systems!

You've designed a great system with many failovers. I'm glad to hear it worked when needed

Glad to hear in your success by planning for failure.

Thanks guys. I built it with the knowledge I would screw up again at some point and how do I save my basement carpet, drywall and electrical system. So all the work has paid off, since I am sure this will not be the last time I dump gallons of water on the floor. This happened when I was just messing with my 16g. I imagine it will be 10 times the amount of water at least when I mess up with the 300 g tank and a room full of 900+/- gallons of water.

Thanks guys. I built it with the knowledge I would screw up again at some point and how do I save my basement carpet, drywall and electrical system. So all the work has paid off, since I am sure this will not be the last time I dump gallons of water on the floor. This happened when I was just messing with my 16g. I imagine it will be 10 times the amount of water at least when I mess up with the 300 g tank and a room full of 900+/- gallons of water.

Well if you screw up and flood the place, buy some UV lamps that look like a sun and some giant pool floats and we'll have a party before it all goes down the drain.

Well if you screw up and flood the place, buy some UV lamps that look like a sun and some giant pool floats and we'll have a party before it all goes down the drain.

Max. flood is only 1'+/- before it goes down the drain.......not much to float in, but nothing was damaged and it worked the way it was suppose to . Would not use UV, only MH! :tongue:

Max. flood is only 1'+/- before it goes down the drain.......not much to float in, but nothing was damaged and it worked the way it was suppose to . Would not use UV, only MH! :tongue:

Have a little imagination!

Have a little imagination!

Did you not see my list of options for Isaac to "Cover his Stand" ....come on, that is a creative list :cool:

hoping you have the ultra violet and ozone thing planned so i can just do what you do, i have ultraviolet hooked up but what about ozone? Red Sea aquazone delux? whats youre first choice? its not easy getting good info on this

hoping you have the ultra violet and ozone thing planned so i can just do what you do, i have ultraviolet hooked up but what about ozone? Red Sea aquazone delux? whats youre first choice? its not easy getting good info on this

Not planning on doing ozone, not convinced that it is worth the time, money, and effort. I am sure someone will say I am wrong, and I have no problem listen to their reasons, just have not heard or seen it run on many systems. I do plan on UV since I believe it will help fight any health problems with the fish.

that is sort of what i wanted to hear, I will keep adding more ultraviolets and bio filters, im feeding 16 cubes of shrimp a day soon double that so i watch you fish guys and how you solve problems, 50 fish most of them big you may also hit 20 cubes a day, 

Ozone works. I recommend a controller that said a large huge full of macro could keep up. If you decide to use Ozone LMK. I think GWeber has a Apex listed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Ozone works. I recommend a controller that said a large huge full of macro could keep up. If you decide to use Ozone LMK. I think GWeber has a Apex listed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Ok, I will if I decide to run it, but that would be an add on down the road. Right now just trying to keep things moving forward.

Looked like a nice day to cook some rock, eats some brats, and drink beer.......well at least cook the rock, can't drink with the respirator and full face make on :tongue:.

Rock has already been soaked in a bleach water solution ( for weeks), rinsed, and now it is time for a short muriatic acid bath.  I decided to set this up as different dipping stations to try and clean the rock, neutralize the muriatic acid, and have double rinse (while also washing my shoulder length gloves at the same time). First trash can is water, then I added the acid at about 10 to 1+/- . Second trash can is water with about 15 lbs or pelletized lime, which I have learned will stop the muriatic acid reaction. The next two 5 gal buckets are for a double dip in fresh water to rinse them off. So far I have done 3 batches and it seems to be a good production line. I am not leaving the rocks in the acid more then about 15-20 min, so they are not pure white, which I don't think matters. One problem I have heard is if you soak them too long they become brittle so I did not want that to happen, I was looking at killing all the living stuff on the rock and trying to reduce any phosphates that are on them.

Got to go, timer went off, time for another batch.

Here are the things I notice as I am doing this:

It looks like the muriatic acid gets used up as I dip each 1/4 to 1/2 trash can full of rock, so I have been adding a cup or two to the trashcan after each batch.  After about 20 min there are no more bubbles, which either means it is used up or the rock is clean, not sure which one. I am only filling the trashcan up about half way so I can easily take the rocks out with out having to get my face a few inches away from the top of the acid mix. By doing this I can keep my head at least 2 feet away from the mix.

Well that was one long afternoon.

So in the end I have a whole bunch of clean rock, and a very sore back from bending over putting rock in and out of 2 trashcans and 2 buckets.  I think it actually went very well. I had my old hot tub drained since it is going to get removed, so this was the perfect vessel for the leftover water. I dumped some pellitized lime in it, poured the muriatic acid trashcan in the hot tub, then poured the trashcan with the water and lime that I was using in the hot tub along with the two dip buckets and made a big soup. The bottom of the muriatic acid trashcan had a slurry of what I assume was burned off the rock, along with and fine particles. The trashcan with the pellitized lime had a slurry of 15lbs of lime that did not dissolve so that was also scrapped into the hot tub. I assume the acid had been neutralized and the soup can be drained later, or in the Spring when the hot tub gets ripped out. Now I need to move the rock indoors into the basement so I can start to play with shapes to build the outcroppings.

I cant wait to see what you sculpt , you are the king of landscape so i expect a masterpiece, yes a masterpiece, the best sculpt that any member of wamas has ever done, no pressure, we all want you to be # 1 of the top 10 in USA, 5 star the best, do it for the east coast make those tank guys on T.V. hang there heads in shame   

I cant wait to see what you sculpt , you are the king of landscape so i expect a masterpiece, yes a masterpiece, the best sculpt that any member of wamas has ever done, no pressure, we all want you to be # 1 of the top 10 in USA, 5 star the best, do it for the east coast make those tank guys on T.V. hang there heads in shame   

Walt have you already started drinking? :laugh:

Thanks for the over the top, now I am going to fail to meet your expectations, praise.