DuffyGeos 300g DT & 8 TANK FISH ROOM

Also the anthias will figure themselves out into a roughly 5:1 female:male ratio.  I've observed that ratio in both of my groups of bartletts and dispar, roughly 12 of the former and 16 of the latter.  I have 2 super male bartletts and 3 dispars.  All started as female.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also the anthias will figure themselves out into a roughly 5:1 female:male ratio.  I've observed that ratio in both of my groups of bartletts and dispar, roughly 12 of the former and 16 of the latter.  I have 2 super male bartletts and 3 dispars.  All started as female.

Might have to revisit the list for some flame wrasses........

At the moment here is my Anthias list. I hear the Ventralis are hard to take care of, but are beautiful. Should I substitute the Bartlett's for the Resplendent?

3-Ventralis Anthias (Pseudanthias ventralis)

5-Resplendent Anthias (Pseudanthias pulcherrimus)

5-Fathead Sunburst Anthias (Serranocirrhitus latus)

4-Indian Ocean Lyretail Anthias (Pseudanthias squamipinnis)

Now if I just had a way to automatically feed them so they would be well fed.....any ideas? ;)

Honestly, the one fish I can't keep alive is most anthias, sunburst in particular. I believe it's my feeding, and I feed a lot(which I believe is not enough. I think you will have to find a really tight balance in between all the fish you want to keep, the amount (and what) you will have to feed, and an awesome skimmer and probably additional nutrient export. I don't see any way around uncontrollable algae with that list and feeding schedule, until you get some serious maturity to the system. By that I mean a few years, then again, this is all speculation, opinion, and you're on track for that time frame anyways ;)

Honestly, the one fish I can't keep alive is most anthias, sunburst in particular. I believe it's my feeding, and I feed a lot(which I believe is not enough. I think you will have to find a really tight balance in between all the fish you want to keep, the amount (and what) you will have to feed, and an awesome skimmer and probably additional nutrient export. I don't see any way around uncontrollable algae with that list and feeding schedule, until you get some serious maturity to the system. By that I mean a few years, then again, this is all speculation, opinion, and you're on track for that time frame anyways ;)

Thanks for your input.

I work from home so the lyretail I have right now gets fed 4-6 times a day in small amounts. I am not planning on adding them all at once, over about a year. I have a large skimmer and have options on another if I need it. Planning on exporting nutrients with a fuge of cheato, going to be running a 114w UV sterilizer, will be running a bio pellet reactor later, (3) 7" x 16" filter socks, and I have a Reef Genesis system for constant water changes. Obviously it will all depend on how the parameters are going before I add more fish at each phase. I will just have to see how it goes

Thanks for your input.

I work from home so the lyretail I have right now gets fed 4-6 times a day in small amounts. I am not planning on adding them all at once, over about a year. I have a large skimmer and have options on another if I need it. Planning on exporting nutrients with a fuge of cheato, going to be running a 114w UV sterilizer, will be running a bio pellet reactor later, (3) 7" x 16" filter socks, and I have a Reef Genesis system for constant water changes. Obviously it will all depend on how the parameters are going before I add more fish at each phase. I will just have to see how it goes

Cool! Working from home is great, I hope it can continue for the span of the tank! Like I mentioned, it's just thoughts, so take it FWIW. I really look forward to the sucess you will have, which is clearly coming from all the time and effort you've thoughtfully put into the build. I don't have much to add, except for sentiments!

Cool! Working from home is great, I hope it can continue for the span of the tank! Like I mentioned, it's just thoughts, so take it FWIW. I really look forward to the sucess you will have, which is clearly coming from all the time and effort you've thoughtfully put into the build. I don't have much to add, except for sentiments!

I have been self employed for 26 years so I hope it does continue! :)

I really do want, and like the input. Positive or negative, I have learned so much from everyone that has already done this and is willing to put their two cents in. I really appreciate it! If someone thinks I am doing something wrong, or am going to have a problem I would love to hear it before I do something wrong and have to learn the hard way.

Edited by DuffyGeos

So......Rob- zygote2k ( the aquarium plumbing master) and I were at it again for about 4 hours of plumbing and we got the QT frag tank full of water and it is running. Main frag tank is being filled, and we have most of the plumbing for the main tank done. We are just figuring out all the details for the plumbing off the manifold for the: UV filter, Biopellet reactor, calcium reactor, skimmer intake, and chiller.

Yea, it is about time, but it is a ton of work.

Um.. how does the quote go... "One small step for mankind?" Keep it up, you're closer than before.

Um.. how does the quote go... "One small step for mankind?" Keep it up, you're closer than before.

Ummmmmm........it is just a tank (or a couple) in a room..............I have never done this before, but mankind has been there.

But, thanks for the vote of confidence!

what i have learned, when the biofilters are running the skimmers produce nothing, lat week i did  not do a water change and the skimmers produced waste for the first time in a month. so if skimmers are producing waste something is wrong, Britttney from reef escape wanted me to double up on U.V. and add carbon filter now my water is more clear then air and green water is in my food. also i got greenwater in my brothers tank it went green so I added my biggest U.V. and a carbon filter, result water clear, so Duffy gett big U.V. and carbon, consider biofilters, we use wetdry and bio pellets but want to build K1 soon thats what the P.H.D. are doing K1 fluid whatever

what i have learned, when the biofilters are running the skimmers produce nothing, lat week i did  not do a water change and the skimmers produced waste for the first time in a month. so if skimmers are producing waste something is wrong, Britttney from reef escape wanted me to double up on U.V. and add carbon filter now my water is more clear then air and green water is in my food. also i got greenwater in my brothers tank it went green so I added my biggest U.V. and a carbon filter, result water clear, so Duffy gett big U.V. and carbon, consider biofilters, we use wetdry and bio pellets but want to build K1 soon thats what the P.H.D. are doing K1 fluid whatever

Thanks Walt.

I have been a little delayed in finishing the plumbing since I ran into an issue with my pullout sump platform. It was a 3/4" piece of plywood which was supported with 8 rollers that I figured would give it enough support....... :mad:  I am not one to under build anything, and when I do I am not very happy. The 3/4" plywood with the rollers and the guide rails on the sides has warped. I figured with the weight on it and the rollers on 4" x 4" plates that were about 22" O.C. would have done it. The load rating was125 lbs per roller for a total of 1000 lbs of movable load.

Tomorrow we are going to add another 3/4" sheet of plywood, screw them together, add 4-  2" x4" x7' to the bottom and see what happens.

I also have 3/8" acrylic rods on order to use to secure the rock to sheets of acrylic and to dowel the rocks together so that I can take out the top layer for any type of maintenance.( I think that was a Ridetheducati idea).

gallery_2633915_1398_32314.jpg

what about the pump? my hamerhead pumb is so loud I cant stand it anymore I complained to the company and they never got back to me, what does rob want you to get? if you get the hamerhead get ear plugs

Going with the Hammerhead/Barracuda Gold. It should give us the flow we need to run everything including the flow for the UV. I also already have one backup which helps.

(edited)

If you need to find some beefier ball casters, here is a good site for them:

http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Material-Handling-Storage/Material-Transport/Casters-Glides/Spherical-Ball-Casters-Ball-Transfers/Ball-Transfers?navid=12105667

I would suggest steel balls in lieu of the nylon balls you appear to have.

Edited by Reefer_Madness

(edited)

Forever! !!!!! ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

If you need to find some beefier ball casters, here is a good site for them:

You are telling Me! Man this thing is taking forever.

http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Material-Handling-Storage/Material-Transport/Casters-Glides/Spherical-Ball-Casters-Ball-Transfers/Ball-Transfers?navid=12105667

I would suggest steel balls in lieu of the nylon balls you appear to have.

The casters are fine, the issue was the plywood. 3/4" thick, but still warped. Added another sheet of plywood, screwed the two sheets together, primed and painted. Then attached ( 4)2" x 4" 's to the bottom. Works well, the nylon balls don't scratch my stained floor, and they will not rust down the road with the saltwater. I then remembered that I have 2 sheets of solid rubber mats that are a second layer on my gym floor (in some areas) and were left over from my old house. I cut one up and added that to the pullout sump platform. I will probably sell the other since it worked so well. Edited by DuffyGeos

Dang Duffy you passed these up. One 250/400 watt Sifilglio covering a 4ft tank. Will post par tomorrow.