DuffyGeos 300g DT & 8 TANK FISH ROOM

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the pleasure of touring this amazing set-up this weekend. I predict that the rock structure will be every bit as nice as the rest of this build.

Thank you plumbing wizard. I am going to start moving things in tomorrow. I will let you know when I am squared away. Thanks again for your input and stopping by.

I thought I was the Jedi knight when it came to creating scapes using the force.

I think I've had to many rolling liverocks. 

I thought I was the Jedi knight when it came to creating scapes using the force.

I think I've had to many rolling liverocks.

I just hope I can grow corals on what ever rock scape I install that look like yours!

OMW guys. Duffel back to work

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Rocks are in the gym, and we are working on getting the water storage tank set up. Along with moving the 180g glass saltwater storage tank in place. Priming the plywood for the pull out platform where the sump goes. I bought 8 of these monster Hudson 1-1/2" Nylon Main Ball 4 Hole Flange Carbon Steel Housings to be able to roll the platform out. We are working on a guide system right now so it comes out straight.

Rocks are in the gym, and we are working on getting the water storage tank set up. Along with moving the 180g glass saltwater storage tank in place. Priming the plywood for the pull out platform where the sump goes. I bought 8 of these monster Hudson 1-1/2" Nylon Main Ball 4 Hole Flange Carbon Steel Housings to be able to roll the platform out. We are working on a guide system right now so it comes out straight.

SOunds good. Dont forget to fill out your time sheet.  :clap:

SOunds good. Dont forget to fill out your time sheet.  :clap:

Yea.....I really don't want to know how much time or money I already have into this.......

Can't wait to see the rock work. Feel free to come over and practice on mine!

I think I will get enough practice trying to get mine together! I doubt I will get it right the first time. I think it will be a lot of placing together, rotating it in different directions, then standing back and looking at it from different angles. Taking it apart, and changing some of it, and doing it again.

you said that you were going to build up from the bottom like the angel guru, but with what product? epoxy? grey? white? purple? texture?

Still have not decided which base I want to use. Part of it will be cost. Any suggestions? I think I need about 4 that are 20 x 20.

break out some flex pvc and a heat gun. make coral trees and cover in aragocrete.

Going to try and keep the rock somewhat low, I plan on letting the corals fill in the space over many years.

i guess a nice concrete made with a sandy tile grout for color mixed with  busted up coral rock to make chips for strength and texture,  

I plan on using Marco Mortar. Just not sure of the base I will mount them on. One suggestion was a website that sells cutting boards which was interesting.

I plan on using Marco Mortar. Just not sure of the base I will mount them on. One suggestion was a website that sells cutting boards which was interesting.

I used pavers which are cheap and durable. Drill (3/4" masonry bit) and pound in a section of 1/2" pvc, makes a great backbone to start a rock structure.

I used pavers which are cheap and durable. Drill (3/4" masonry bit) and pound in a section of 1/2" pvc, makes a great backbone to start a rock structure.

Justin- pavers like concrete pavers for your front walk? Would there be any chance of anything leaching off? I know concrete pavers will sometimes have "efflorescence". That is salt leaching out of the concrete mix. I was thinking of pvc or acrylic rods.

Yes home Depot pavers. I soaked them for about a month before i used them, but i doubt it matters that much. You'll have about as much water volume as i started with. Pvc is less brittle than acrylic.

Yes home Depot pavers. I soaked them for about a month before i used them, but i doubt it matters that much. You'll have about as much water volume as i started with. Pvc is less brittle than acrylic.

Thanks for the input. I will look into pavers, but I am worried about the weight, I am going to have to put the structures in through 17" squares, and try not to bang them around too much. Will probably get some assistance when I pout them in. I was leaning to the PVC. I have used some of the (I think) 1/4" grey PVC and that works well.

i hope its not my fault that we are over thinking this bit, but if you want perfection get some clay make shapes go to a local do it ceramic shop rent time fire the clay , its all labor the kids will love helping and you can make something fantastic, build it on a P.V.C. frame wait for it to dry then fire it up, hows that for over the top?

i hope its not my fault that we are over thinking this bit, but if you want perfection get some clay make shapes go to a local do it ceramic shop rent time fire the clay , its all labor the kids will love helping and you can make something fantastic, build it on a P.V.C. frame wait for it to dry then fire it up, hows that for over the top?

Walt- that is a great idea for the shape, part of the problem is the fired clay would not have the porosity that you would get with live rock.

Walt- that is a great idea for the shape, part of the problem is the fired clay would not have the porosity that you would get with live rock.

Is porosity a major issue?  I would think you would have some "regular" rocks to handle the biological needs.  The cerameco stuff we did a GB buy on a while back looked a lot like the stuff my 10 year old daughter comes home with from birthday parties at Color Me Mine...

Is porosity a major issue?  I would think you would have some "regular" rocks to handle the biological needs.  The cerameco stuff we did a GB buy on a while back looked a lot like the stuff my 10 year old daughter comes home with from birthday parties at Color Me Mine...

I think it would be, the higher the the better. Now I think of it, I am thinking of glazed pottery! So my comments are probably irrelevant! :laugh: So Walt and DaveS may be right.  By the way, great seeing your system last week DaveS, love it!

Here is a picture of the flood I had in the closet. Notice the wet wall on the right, the 1/2" of water on the floor and the, trashcan it missed and was suppose to go into. You can see the hose as it was curved up as it popped out of the can and sprayed water across to the opposite wall.

gallery_2633915_1398_3901.jpg

I used my new squeegee to pull the water (and chunks of algae) to the drain that was on the closet side. Took under 5 min to clean up - and take pics!

gallery_2633915_1398_45595.jpg