DuffyGeos 300g DT & 8 TANK FISH ROOM

So my next question is plumbing?

I have some ideas of how I think this should be set up, but I think I may need some help. Don't want to have to do think over 2-3 times.

Looking to use dark grey SCH 40 pipe. I was going to use sch 80, but have been told the ID is smaller. I know I really don't need it for the pressure rating, but I like the color (no white pipes). Now that I know SCH 40 grey pipe existing I will use that.

So where is the best place to buy it, and all the fittings, valves, disconnects,...etc?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

I saw that, I would have see see what the price is vs. the grey stuff....and yes I know grey is one of the colors.

Edited by DuffyGeos

Yea, only comes in 5' sections which may not be the best either.

Yea, 8' or 10' would be better. I am going to have a some long runs and don't need couplers everywhere.

Ok I am ready for almost anything....Paly's ....bring it on!!! 

Maybe I had some of this stuff in case something happened...(work)....maybe I didn't :ph34r:

Mustard gas is not a problem. :laugh:

gallery_2633915_1398_81897.jpg

I am obviously not afraid of child labor laws. They both built everything, and need to do the final clean-up of dust to get the water flowing...or to make sure they don't get dirty. :ohmy:

gallery_2633915_1398_110580.jpg

Well maybe they really enjoyed it helping out to get this thing wet. Some incentive is always good.

gallery_2633915_1398_52861.jpg

Yao Ming could fit in this tank with room to spare...he was not available, so I had to use under age children...It is ok, I made them.

gallery_2633915_1398_52861.jpg

Those poor kids! :)

What are you doing for the back of your tank? Will we see right through (fish room lighting aside)?

Those poor kids! :)

What are you doing for the back of your tank? Will we see right through (fish room lighting aside)?

They will survive, and it they don't...they did not work hard enough!!

One of the goals was to be able to see the tank from the fish room, and the gym without pipes in the way. I figure I will in both rooms just as much....lately probably more the fish room then the gym!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I have also look at the option of adding black panels to either side to add a backdrop if needed, not sure yet if I care, just like a peninsula tank- you can see through both sides.

Water!!!!! Are you filling it with ssltwater? Or just doing water test?

It is a water test, but I am using RO/DI water, in case I want to keep it in there!

Going to take 2 days!

Oh yea that part takes forever. I filled mine with saltwater right away since I placed the rock and send before... Also had to repair those scratches from my rock slide. Took me about a week to get all the water mixed and filled...

They will survive, and it they don't...they did not work hard enough!!

One of the goals was to be able to see the tank from the fish room, and the gym without pipes in the way. I figure I will in both rooms just as much....lately probably more the fish room then the gym!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I have also look at the option of adding black panels to either side to add a backdrop if needed, not sure yet if I care, just like a peninsula tank- you can see through both sides.

I see. Now it makes more sense why you wanted to finish your fish room as opposed to keeping it unfinished, like most others. Very excited for you!

Oh yea that part takes forever. I filled mine with saltwater right away since I placed the rock and send before... Also had to repair those scratches from my rock slide. Took me about a week to get all the water mixed and filled...

I think I will keep the RO/DI water in there, and add salt to see what it takes. If it does not work, I will lower it and add the rock work, then make some more.

I see. Now it makes more sense why you wanted to finish your fish room as opposed to keeping it unfinished, like most others. Very excited for you!

I have looked at a lot of large systems that all seem to have overflows and pipes centered in the middle of their system. One of the questions I have asked everyone that I have visited is "What would you have done differently?" Almost all of them would have moved their overflow systems and not painted or put a plastic cover on the back of the tank in the fish room, so they could see the tank from the fish room. Makes sense to me since most of the time is spent in the fish room working on the tank, why not enjoy it while you are working on it?

I wanted to make the fish room a nice space to be in. A "Laboratory feel"  to it, but with the details that make it feel like a space you want to be in. I have built projects that I have gone back to years later and I still get a "good feeling" being in the space. I want to be in the fish room, not just to work on the tanks, but because I want to be in the space.

Besides....there is cold beer in that there room!!!! :cheers:

****Pulling up a chair (in the fish room) now!*****

Not much room for a chair, but it almost looks like a bar. :cool: At least good leaning height.

Water is 8" deep so it is about 100g right now.

Mannnnnnn!!!! Speed it up!

I don't have killer pressure, I have a 175GPD unit, but it seems like it is only pushing out about 110.

(edited)

Anyone interested in helping me figure out the plumbing? :blink:

Does anyone know where to get strut channels? I need to build a rack system on the ceiling so I can move my lighting out of the way.

Edited by DuffyGeos