DuffyGeos 300g DT & 8 TANK FISH ROOM

I don't have killer pressure, I have a 175GPD unit, but it seems like it is only pushing out about 110.

For my own recorded knowledge, looks like the RO/DI puts out about 130 GPD.

Where is the best place to buy pipes and fittings?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

FISH LIST:

Don't freak out, I am not trying to put all 54 fish (I think :rolleyes:) into the 300g, but here is the wish list.

I would like your input on which fish I should just cross off the list right away (I already did that with a few). The * means I already have it. The "Pick 3" means I know I can't have them all, which ones would go best. They are not in any order. I plan on having a SPS tank, maybe some LPS, but I want to know which fish IYO are just not going to be good in this system. Or if I have two of the fish in the tank- one is not going to make it. I plan of feeding heavily, and will have 300g DT+ 102g Frag tank + 126g sump = 528g on one system, with a Reef Genesis System for automatic water changes helping to keep the water clean.

Let me know what you think

-Spotted Drum (Equetus punctatus)

All 4
-
Bicolor Angelfish (Centropyge bicolor)
-
Coral Beauty Angelfish (Centropyge bispinosa)
2-
Flame Angelfish (Centropyge loricula)
2-
Potter's Angelfish (Centropyge potteri)

Pick 3
-
Scribbled Angelfish (Chaetodontoplus duboulayi)
-
Blue Girdled Angelfish (Pomacanthus navarchus)
-
Blueface Angelfish (Pomacanthus xanthometopon)
2-
Regal Angelfish (Pygoplites diacanthus)

All 3
5-
Indian Ocean Lyretail Anthias (Pseudanthias squamipinnis)* one male
3-
Resplendent Anthias (Pseudanthias pulcherrimus)
3-
Fathead Sunburst Anthias (Serranocirrhitus latus)

-
Royal Gramma Basslet (Gramma loreto)*

-
Copperband Butterflyfish (Chelmon rostratus)
-
Saddleback Butterflyfish (Chaetodon ephippium)

-
Spotted Cardinalfish  (Sphaeramia nematoptera)*

5-Blue Reef Chromis (Chromis cyaneus)

-Snowflake Ocellaris Clownfish, Captive-Bred (Amphiprion ocellaris)*
-
True Percula Clownfish (Amphiprion percula)*
2-
Black & White Ocellaris Clownfish - Captive-Bred (Amphiprion ocellaris var.)*

3-
Yellowtail Damselfish (Chrysiptera parasema)

Pick 1
-
Blue Spotted Puffer (Canthigaster solandri)
-
Saddle Valentini Puffer (Canthigaster valentini)

Pick 4 or 5
-
Yellow Tang - Hawaii (Zebrasoma flavescens)
-
Blue Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus)
-
Sailfin Tang, Desjardini (Zebrasoma desjardini)
-
Purple Tang (Zebrasoma xanthurum)
-
Powder Blue Tang (Acanthurus leucosternon)
-
Achilles Tang (Acanthurus achilles)

-Moorish Idol (Zanclus cornutus)

Pick 3 or 4

-Vrolik's Wrasse, Male (Halichoeres chrysotaenia)
-
Richmond's Wrasse (Halichoeres richmondi)
-
Hoeven's Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus)
-
Grey Head Wrasse (Halichoeres leucurus)
-
Dusky Wrasse (Halichoeres annularis)
-
Christmas Wrasse (Halichoeres claudia )

-Red Velvet Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rubrisquamis)
-
Lineatus Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus lineatus)

-
Mystery Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus ocellatus)
-
Six Line Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus hexataenia)
-Four line Wrasse
(Pseudocheilinus tetretaenia)

54 (total with high numbers)

Edited by DuffyGeos

Jesus, Mary, Joseph! That's a lot of fish! I'm trying to scale my brain to your tank and it's not working. That said, I love you have a potters pair and a flame pair in mind. You thinking red sea or Pacific regals? Pair em all up I say....or at least wherever you can.

Duff all I care about is coral :) is it full yet. Need to borrow my 700GPD unit ?

Should be full by the end of the day....never really thought of it, I never see any fish in your tanks!, that Black Rubbermaid one had a few...I think? :laugh:

Jesus, Mary, Joseph! That's a lot of fish! I'm trying to scale my brain to your tank and it's not working. That said, I love you have a potters pair and a flame pair in mind. You thinking red sea or Pacific regals? Pair em all up I say....or at least wherever you can.

I know, I know...This is the wish list, but I will have to get rid of some of them. Everything I have been reading says that there is no set formula, it will depend on how large they get. I am not trying to keep too many large fish, mostly smaller ones that top out around 5" so I think that gives me some wiggle room. Also the tank is 8' x 30" x 24" so there is plenty of swimming space, and area to stake out as a home. So if I have 9 or ten larger fish (Tangs and Angels), can I get away with a few schools of 4"-5" fish and another 10 or so of individual fish? I read about one guy that had 35+/- but he did not have the 500 g+ system I have. I also plan of having open rock work, and 3 islands so they can swim down both sides. So it is not like have the thing will be covered with a rock wall on one side.

I've not stocked a tank this size, or even dreamed about it yet....so I won't say what I think you can and can't do. But, I will say that you should make sure to consider your aquascape plans and where you intend all these fish to sleep at night depending on their normal behaviors. I don't think you'll have any problem with swimming space, but the ability to eat (graze rock for herbs) and find hidey holes are what fish may fight about. If your're going to have a bunch of islands you could count them out and how many fish you think each could stake out and lay claim to....dunno....one approach.

I've not stocked a tank this size, or even dreamed about it yet....so I won't say what I think you can and can't do. But, I will say that you should make sure to consider your aquascape plans and where you intend all these fish to sleep at night depending on their normal behaviors. I don't think you'll have any problem with swimming space, but the ability to eat (graze rock for herbs) and find hidey holes are what fish may fight about. If your're going to have a bunch of islands you could count them out and how many fish you think each could stake out and lay claim to....dunno....one approach.

Thanks Matt.  Yea it might be that I need to build it out, and then look at the space. I also may need to have the fish in a stocking order with the last few as a "maybe" if things go Ok. Thank you for your thoughts.

Good luck with the stocking list Ken, I am still trying to figure out mine... Just have 2 fish in the frag tank and one of them is 6 line wrasse

Good luck with the stocking list Ken, I am still trying to figure out mine... Just have 2 fish in the frag tank and one of them is 6 line wrasse

It is not like it is going to be stocked by next week :laugh: :laugh:

I would like to just plan ahead, and put the fish in the right order (if there is one), and not have to remove any of them for bad behavior, since I think that will be next to impossible.

I would add all your tangs last and together if you go that route. JMO.

I would add all your tangs last and together if you go that route. JMO.

I figure they need to be near the end. Along with the large Angelfish.

Time to cook some rock. Not sure how much is there, it did fill up 23' of stairs that are 18' wide. Then I also have a box of Marco Mortar shelf rock that should be good to go. Bought some Muriatic Acid and a bag of lime to help when I am done. I guess it is going to be Costco for bleach tomorrow.

gallery_2633915_1398_80925.jpg

All pressure washed and ready for the trashcans, tubs or what ever I come up with.

gallery_2633915_1398_86978.jpg

I had to post this. I am very happy that my Milli is so very Happy! look at the PE!

gallery_2633915_1398_33782.jpg

As the tank fills it has produced all of these bubbles. I thought this was a kinda cool pic.

gallery_2633915_1398_43204.jpg

And we are almost there.

gallery_2633915_1398_119138.jpg

Status

Full, going to bleach some rock tomorrow. Still have to figure out plumbing.

First off, where is the best place to buy pipe and fittings? Either grey pipe, and/or sch 80 fittings. I don't want any white parts.

Very nice Ken, what color is that Milli?

Thanks, one of my favorites ,I like the movement. Purple with a little blue. Can't tell you the name of it, not because I would have to kill you....but because I don't know :blink:

Full, going to bleach some rock tomorrow. Still have to figure out plumbing.

First off, where is the best place to buy pipe and fittings? Either grey pipe, and/or sch 80 fittings. I don't want any white parts.

Thanks, one of my favorites ,I like the movement. Purple with a little blue. Can't tell you the name of it, not because I would have to kill you....but because I don't know :blink:

Very nice, and Lowes has the best plumbing supplies.

Very nice, and Lowes has the best plumbing supplies.

I have never looked for sch 80 parts, so did not know Lowe's had them. I will have to take a look.

I have never looked for sch 80 parts, so did not know Lowe's had them. I will have to take a look.

BRS, but then you gotta plan and wait on shipping.

I know that fergesons also has SCH80, just don't know if there is a premium. They do have most fittings (at least at the one in Alexandria) and they do carry the 10' sections on hand.

(edited)

BRS, but then you gotta plan and wait on shipping.

I know that fergesons also has SCH80, just don't know if there is a premium. They do have most fittings (at least at the one in Alexandria) and they do carry the 10' sections on hand.

Thomas Somerville is another plumbing supplier I will have to look at , just have not checked. Fergeson's is not the cheapest in the world.

Edited by DuffyGeos

Thomas Somerville is another plumbing supplier I will have to look at , just have not checked. Fergeson's is not the cheapest in the world.

That's why I mentioned said "premium." Their reputation precedes them.

FISH LIST:

Don't freak out, I am not trying to put all 54 fish (I think :rolleyes:) into the 300g, but here is the wish list.

I would like your input on which fish I should just cross off the list right away (I already did that with a few). The * means I already have it. The "Pick 3" means I know I can't have them all, which ones would go best. They are not in any order. I plan on having a SPS tank, maybe some LPS, but I want to know which fish IYO are just not going to be good in this system. Or if I have two of the fish in the tank- one is not going to make it. I plan of feeding heavily, and will have 300g DT+ 102g Frag tank + 126g sump = 528g on one system, with a Reef Genesis System for automatic water changes helping to keep the water clean.

Let me know what you think

-Spotted Drum (Equetus punctatus)

All 4

-Bicolor Angelfish (Centropyge bicolor)

-Coral Beauty Angelfish (Centropyge bispinosa)

2-Flame Angelfish (Centropyge loricula)

2-Potter's Angelfish (Centropyge potteri)

Pick 3

-Scribbled Angelfish (Chaetodontoplus duboulayi)

-Blue Girdled Angelfish (Pomacanthus navarchus)

-Blueface Angelfish (Pomacanthus xanthometopon)

2-Regal Angelfish (Pygoplites diacanthus)

All 3

5-Indian Ocean Lyretail Anthias (Pseudanthias squamipinnis)* one male

3-Resplendent Anthias (Pseudanthias pulcherrimus)

3-Fathead Sunburst Anthias (Serranocirrhitus latus)

-Royal Gramma Basslet (Gramma loreto)*

-Copperband Butterflyfish (Chelmon rostratus)

-Saddleback Butterflyfish (Chaetodon ephippium)

-Spotted Cardinalfish  (Sphaeramia nematoptera)*

5-Blue Reef Chromis (Chromis cyaneus)

-Snowflake Ocellaris Clownfish, Captive-Bred (Amphiprion ocellaris)*

-True Percula Clownfish (Amphiprion percula)*

2-Black & White Ocellaris Clownfish - Captive-Bred (Amphiprion ocellaris var.)*

3-Yellowtail Damselfish (Chrysiptera parasema)

Pick 1

-Blue Spotted Puffer (Canthigaster solandri)

-Saddle Valentini Puffer (Canthigaster valentini)

Pick 4 or 5

-Yellow Tang - Hawaii (Zebrasoma flavescens)

-Blue Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus)

-Sailfin Tang, Desjardini (Zebrasoma desjardini)

-Purple Tang (Zebrasoma xanthurum)

-Powder Blue Tang (Acanthurus leucosternon)

-Achilles Tang (Acanthurus achilles)

-Moorish Idol (Zanclus cornutus)

Pick 3 or 4

-Vrolik's Wrasse, Male (Halichoeres chrysotaenia)

-Richmond's Wrasse (Halichoeres richmondi)

-Hoeven's Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus)

-Grey Head Wrasse (Halichoeres leucurus)

-Dusky Wrasse (Halichoeres annularis)

-Christmas Wrasse (Halichoeres claudia )

-Red Velvet Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rubrisquamis)

-Lineatus Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus lineatus)

-Mystery Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus ocellatus)

-Six Line Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus hexataenia)

-Four line Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus tetretaenia)

54 (total with high numbers)

1. You're missing Mr. Lightning on that list

2. I LOVE LOVE LOVE sunbursts!

3. +1 on Isaac's advice

4. I can't wait to see the mini-ocean!

I'm interested in the reef genesis system. But is it worth $650? When the day comes that I get my 300g DD up and running, I want an automatic water change system in place. I am thinking something like 4g per day. I'll have to see yours when it's up and running and see how it works and how happy you are with it. I can't help but wonder if a cheaper alternative could be created with some dosing pumps (run 5 hours/day), and a 55g barrel with fresh saltwater. One pump would pump the fresh in, the other would pump tank water down a drain. Wouldn't that work just as well? Perhaps using a new Neptune pump instead of the BRS peralistic pumps?