DuffyGeos 300g DT & 8 TANK FISH ROOM

more fish, just kidding, youre tank will be great fish, i have had a copper banded for a year a sweet fish and my mom loves him, the fish is in fantastic health but sometimes i want 2 spotfins instead so its more like my childhood at long island when we collected spotfin butterflies and sold them in the fall , no charge of course, ill ask mom, can you take more photos? reading is no fun 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My fish list: 11/16/14

Here is what I am going to try. I have spend some time putting them in order of stocking. Let me know if you see anything wrong.

-I am not sure if all the different types of Anthias will get along- Yes they will after seeing Justin's tank

-The Dwarf Angelfish is where I might have problems, we will see-

-The Tangs will probably be the last in, or at least near the last.- Removed the Desjardini Tang because of it's ultimate size, the Hippo (blue) Tang may be the only other one I drop because of it's size. Love both of them, but I don't want to have to deal with removal when they get too large. Looking to stock it once, and not deal with a 16" fish 3 years from now.

Behavior: PEACE= Peaceful, WC= With Caution

Reef safe: YES, or NO

Size: i.e. 5"

7-Blue Reef Chromis (Chromis cyaneus) PEACE, YES, 5"

2-Snowflake Ocellaris Clownfish, Captive-Bred (Amphiprion ocellaris) PEACE, YES, 3"

1-Spotted Drum (Equetus punctatus) PEACE, YES, 6"

1-Red Velvet Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rubrisquamis) PEACE, YES, 4"
1-
Lineatus Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus lineatus)
PEACE, YES, 5"
3-Hooded Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus bathyphilus) PEACE, YES. 3.5"

1-Vrolik's Wrasse, Male (Halichoeres chrysotaenia) PEACE, WC, 5"
1-Hoeven's Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus) PEACE, WC, 5"
1-Dusky Wrasse (Halichoeres annularis)
PEACE, YES, 6"

3-Ventralis Anthias (Pseudanthias ventralis) PEACE, YES, 3"
5-
Resplendent Anthias (Pseudanthias pulcherrimus) PEACE, YES, 3"
5-
Fathead Sunburst Anthias (Serranocirrhitus latus) PEACE, YES, 5"
4-Indian Ocean Lyretail Anthias (Pseudanthias squamipinnis) SA, YES, 5"

1-Copperband Butterflyfish (Chelmon rostratus) PEACE, WC, 8"

1-Mystery Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus ocellatus) SA, YES, 5"
1-Six Line Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus hexataenia) SA, YES, 3"
1-Four line Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus tetretaenia) SA, YES, 4"

2-Moorish Idol (Zanclus cornutus) PEACE, WC, 7"

3-Yellowtail Damselfish (Chrysiptera parasema) SA, YES, 3"
3-Starcki Damsel (Chrysiptera starcki) SA, YES, 3"

2-Potter's Angelfish (Centropyge potteri) SA, WC 5"
1-Coral Beauty Angelfish (Centropyge bispinosa) SA, WC, 4"
1-Bicolor Angelfish (Centropyge bicolor)  SA, WC, 6"
1-Flame Angelfish (Centropyge loricula) SA, WC 4"

2-Regal Angelfish (Pygoplites diacanthus) SA, WC, 10"

1-Yellow Tang - Hawaii (Zebrasoma flavescens) SA, YES, 8"
1-
Blue Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus) SA, YES, 12"
1-Achilles Tang (Acanthurus achilles) SA, YES, 8"

Total 57 fish

Ken, I am interested to know which inverts are you planning to acquire. Loving your fish list, might copy few things from it. 

I wonder how will it work with all the angels + corals. aren't those a little risky?

I would definitely nix the P.hexataenia. way too aggressive for those anthias. I don't know much about P.tetrataenia but suspect it may be similar.

Ahhhhh... :mad:  I like the sixline....but I will take you advice. Thanks. I will try and find more about the fourline, but you may be right.

Ken, I am interested to know which inverts are you planning to acquire. Loving your fish list, might copy few things from it. 

I wonder how will it work with all the angels + corals. aren't those a little risky?

From what I have seen (Copps, Ridetheducati, Taiscici, and Christran come to mind) where there are angelfish and coral it can work, you just need to keep the fish well fed and they don't tend to nip. I also believe starting them small and training them on frozen food might help. I have opted to try the dwarf angels (except for the Regal angelfish) to see if they will have a better shot since they are smaller (maybe a smaller appetite :tongue: ).  With 300g  (and possibly 60+/- corals) I am hoping that I can get enough coral growth where a little nipping, or if they tend to nip on one coral, will not show on the entire tank. I may add a couple larger SPS corals that seem to get eaten all the time as "feeding stations" for them and not worry what they look like.

As far as inverts, not sure yet. Will probably start out with hermits and snails, but I assume they will all get eaten over time. I would not have a problem of restocking them as needed over time since I assume they will also be fish food based on some of the fish I have on the list.

Edited by DuffyGeos

Ahhhhh... :mad:  I like the sixline....but I will take you advice. Thanks. I will try and find more about the fourline, but you may be right.

From what I have seen (Copps, Ridetheducati, Taiscici, and Christran come to mind) where there are angelfish and coral it can work, you just need to keep the fish well fed and they don't tend to nip. I also believe starting them small and training them on frozen food might help. I have opted to try the dwarf angels (except for the Regal angelfish) to see if they will have a better shot since they are smaller (maybe a smaller appetite :tongue: ).  With 300g  (and possibly 60+/- corals) I am hoping that I can get enough coral growth where a little nipping, or if they tend to nip on one coral, will not show on the entire tank. I may add a couple larger SPS corals that seem to get eaten all the time as "feeding stations" for them and not worry what they look like.

Nice! I am really considering few now. beautiful colors.

DuffyGeos.. i just saw someone mention how epic your build was so i went to check out this thread. epic-build confirmed! i can't wait to see more

DuffyGeos.. i just saw someone mention how epic your build was so i went to check out this thread. epic-build confirmed! i can't wait to see more

Thank you very much!  I have been think about doing something like this for about 20 years, so it is nice when the time feels right to do it.

i want to see the sculpture when when you glue the rocks and fill them at the base, are you going to push and texture surface like they do at the zoo?

Walt- I am planning on fitting the pieces of rock together, grinding them so they fit snuggly, then drilling a hole to run a 2"-3" piece of 1/4"+/- grey PVC pipe that I found at Home Depot as a rod between them. I bought some fiberglass rods to use but returned them. My hands started itching as soon as I left the store, so I don't want a big fiberglass mess. I plan on cutting the bases flush so they will have a good base and then filling in all the holes for the depth of my sandbed, and create a sloping base with Marco Mortar like I saw Copps do with his. This should keep detritus out of any holes in the rock below the sandbed. Then I will fill any joints between pieces to make it look like one structure. DCReefer1964 & Ridetheducati mentioned that it would not be a bad idea to leave the top layer of rock unmortared so that when it comes time to prune the corals that I could remove the top pieces that would only be secured with the pvc pipe that is fitted in two holes drilled in the rock. Kinda like the dowels in an Erector Set. I am also planning on drilling holes in the coral that will be able to fit frag plugs so they have a good base. The rock would then be secured to sheets of acrylic or plastic so they are not attached to the bottom of the tank.

looking good!!

thanks!

Any input to what I said above? Or anything you would do differently?

Walt- I am planning on fitting the pieces of rock together, grinding them so they fit snuggly, then drilling a hole to run a 2"-3" piece of 1/4"+/- grey PVC pipe that I found at Home Depot as a rod between them. I bought some fiberglass rods to use but returned them. My hands started itching as soon as I left the store, so I don't want a big fiberglass mess. I plan on cutting the bases flush so they will have a good base and then filling in all the holes for the depth of my sandbed, and create a sloping base with Marco Mortar like I saw Copps do with his. This should keep detritus out of any holes in the rock below the sandbed. Then I will fill any joints between pieces to make it look like one structure. DCReefer1964 & Ridetheducati mentioned that it would not be a bad idea to leave the top layer of rock unmortared so that when it comes time to prune the corals that I could remove the top pieces that would only be secured with the pvc pipe that is fitted in two holes drilled in the rock. Kinda like the dowels in an Erector Set. I am also planning on drilling holes in the coral that will be able to fit frag plugs so they have a good base. The rock would then be secured to sheets of acrylic or plastic so they are not attached to the bottom of the tank.

Blink. Blink.

I have found a new way to cook rock..Leave it out in a trashcan in a water bleach mixture with powerheads in 24 degree weather for a week........That should kill everything! :blast:

sounds solid (the freezing part.)

Also, drill your rock for the plugs, that's what I would do, and still plan to do if I ever get to it. 

sounds solid (the freezing part.)

Also, drill your rock for the plugs, that's what I would do, and still plan to do if I ever get to it. 

Yup, that is on the list above. The water/ bleach mixture has a little frozen ice on top, but the movement is keeping it from freezing solid.

Yup, that is on the list above. The water/ bleach mixture has a little frozen ice on top, but the movement is keeping it from freezing solid.

Ok....ummmmm.....that 17 degrees last night has changed the consistence of the water in the trashcans.......it is a little thicker, but I can still hear the powerheads. We may soon find out what happens to rock when it freezes solid. At this point I think I need to stop messing with it and let it thaw naturally next week so I don't crack anything. :blink: :unsure:

Ok....ummmmm.....that 17 degrees last night has changed the consistence of the water in the trashcans.......it is a little thicker, but I can still hear the powerheads. We may soon find out what happens to rock when it freezes solid. At this point I think I need to stop messing with it and let it thaw naturally next week so I don't crack anything. :blink: :unsure:

What will happenis if the temp gets to low. The water in the pores of the rock will expand and cause the rock to become brittle. That is what I have experienced.

What will happenis if the temp gets to low. The water in the pores of the rock will expand and cause the rock to become brittle. That is what I have experienced.

That is what I am afraid of........S^#*!!!!!!

BTW I need more pics. I may not be able to pay the cable bill :blink: . Cost of reefing catching up with me :laugh: . May have to go old school and read from paper :laugh:  :laugh: . Come on man more details lights, Camera, Action!!!!!!

Edited by DCReefer1964

I had left some rock in bleach for a week inside at normal temp and it started to turn grey, still dont know what that was all about. Switched over to vinager and it cleared up- Hopefully its ok!

I have found a new way to cook rock..Leave it out in a trashcan in a water bleach mixture with powerheads in 24 degree weather for a week........That should kill everything! :blast:

BTW I need more pics. I may not be able to pay the cable bill :blink: . Cost of reefing catching up with me :laugh: . May have to go old school and read from paper :laugh:  :laugh: . Come on man more details lights, Camera, Action!!!!!!

Got a lot going ( besides picking up your water tank today). As soon as I get something new going I will post it.

Since it is taking you Soooooo long . :laugh:   I had to settle for this :wub:

Cool video!

I had left some rock in bleach for a week inside at normal temp and it started to turn grey, still dont know what that was all about. Switched over to vinager and it cleared up- Hopefully its ok!

Have not seen the grey.....after I got the ice out of the trash can today! Added hot water, heater, and salt to try and keep it from freezing.

First batch of rock is done with the bleach / water soak. Second set of trashcans are filled. I am going to let the first batch dry out, rinse them, and then after the second set of trashcans are empty it is time for the muriatic acid bath.