Mike's 17gal tank

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

Tank is looking really good. Looks like the gov will be back open tomorrow

Finally...

Anyways, put in some frag orders and tank will be fully stocked with corals/frags by the end of the month.

Placed a group buy order with Adam Derickson of www.battlecorals.com

Also, reserved a few things from DaveS and Copps.  Can't wait to go into grow out mode.

I am beginning my two part dosing regimen this weekend with the B-Ionic (I like this two part a lot).  I will dillute the 1gal containers into 2 or 4 gallons a piece (mixed in a clean bucket and stored in distilled water jugs).  This way the starting dose will change from 1ml per every 4 gallons to either 1ml per every 1 or 2 gallons per day.  This way I can split up my dosing throughout the day more evenly on a small tank and maintain very stable parameters.  This method is what I believe contributed to the success on my old biocube.

In addition to the Bionic two part I will use Kent for Mag.  I don't plan to dose ANYTHING else in this tank, other than fish food.

Edited by BowieReefer84

(edited)

I said I like Kent ERIC!  Seriously though, no reason.  I know the Kent is more $, but on a small tank its negligable.

It's one of those things I just dose at a little less than recommended and honestly don't test for hardly ever.

Edited by BowieReefer84

• 2 weeks later...

Added a few more frags.  I have 5 more frags to add.  3 acros and 2 monti's.  There are three peaks left for the acros, and two areas for the monti down low.  That will do it for adding coral to this tank.

10519521916_58bbdebc60.jpg
20131026_161349 by mteske1, on Flickr
10519521446_61e70f4627.jpg
20131026_161412 by mteske1, on Flickr
10519503955_f22a003c62.jpg
20131026_161430 by mteske1, on Flickr
10519719543_f7cf131795.jpg
20131026_161447 by mteske1, on Flickr
10519536264_97ebda9091.jpg
fts 10.26.13 by mteske1, on Flickr

Tanks looking good Mike. Looks like good placement for them to grow in. Whats the next fish on the list.?

Thanks Travis.  I am trying to do the opposite of Ryan. HAHA (sorry Ryan).

I have no plans to add another fish anytime soon.  I would like a royal gramma or purple firefish as the final fish, but no hurry.  Once the clown and cardinal grow they will likely fill the tank.

Looks great, I agree, good luck with everything, although it's small enough that you should be alright. I am very impressed with your patience if you can keep it at just this and wait!

Since I've been with WAMAS, i've always admired your work Mike.  Your set up does look really is clean!  I'll get my tank as cleans as yours one day lol.  I can only imagine how seet it will look once everything grows out!  Good luck with keeping your hands out of the tank... that is sooo hard for me! 

its almost too clean haha, looks very nice man

Too clean...  That was my goal!

Looks great! Good luck with the keeping your hands out!

No room to add anymore corals so it shouldn't be too bad.

Looks great, I agree, good luck with everything, although it's small enough that you should be alright. I am very impressed with your patience if you can keep it at just this and wait!

Thank you.  I know the monti will grow quickly, and I am just hoping the acro will grow well for me as well.

Since I've been with WAMAS, i've always admired your work Mike.  Your set up does look really is clean!  I'll get my tank as cleans as yours one day lol.  I can only imagine how seet it will look once everything grows out!  Good luck with keeping your hands out of the tank... that is sooo hard for me! 

Thanks Tony.  The best thing to do is pick a theme before you ever add a coral, and STICK TO IT!  There are some sweet LPS out there, but I told myself NO.  Sticking with one set of corals that like the same water parameters/flow/lighting/nutrient level make things a LOT easier in the long run.

Redbugs...  NOT from Adam (battle corals), but in the tank prior to the group buy shipment noticed by a fellow reefer.  Could have come from anywhere I guess.

Luckily I was able to get some original interceptor, and just did the first dose tonight.  Will do a follow up next week to knock them out quick and keep moving forward.  No shrimp or crabs in the tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, two doses of interceptor over two weeks and there is ZERO sign of any red bugs or pods in the tank now.  No more corals going in the tank now.  

Now for a comparison on the psammocora I picked up from Emoney.  Nothing like comparing pictures.

10/3/13

10078592654_111eea5f36_c.jpg
20131003_213907-1 by mteske1, on Flickr

Today
10953444703_c8feb5850f_c.jpg
20131119_191548 by mteske1, on Flickr
10953281336_de0c430442_c.jpg
20131119_191830 by mteske1, on Flickr

wow great job! thats an amazing difference is just a month...I am looking forward to watching this grow....

glad to hear the red bugs are gone...

Thank you.

Still like the Maxspect?

Yes.  I am running both channels for 6 hours a day at 45% white and 50% blue.  No ramping up or down.