Mike's 17gal tank

On its way to a second TOTM.

Send me your address again. Got you new plugs for the screen

Edit...I'm worried about how low you tilted the return. Have you tested a power outage? I had it pretty close to the top for the back siphon.

Edited by brad908

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On its way to a second TOTM.

Send me your address again. Got you new plugs for the screen

Edit...I'm worried about how low you tilted the return. Have you tested a power outage? I had it pretty close to the top for the back siphon.

I got the plugs from PicO for free.  I just asked them.  Thanks though.

I drilled two small holes in lockline return very very close to waterline to instantly stop the siphon.  I like the return lower to keep the shimmer down.  Thanks for checking though.

I really like this tank a lot.  The clarity of the glass is unreal.

Ohh so cute!

Is it eating pellets or frozen? After a year mine still only nips at mysis...but eats the heck out of my pod population...

He didn't show interest in the nls pellets yet.  Eating frozen mysis and bloodworms though.

He didn't show interest in the nls pellets yet.  Eating frozen mysis and bloodworms though.

My Bangaii, which is about 5 years old now, wont touch pellets or flake. Meaty foods only, always been this way. Didnt realize how big it was til I put it in the 24.. He looks massive in there..

My Bangaii, which is about 5 years old now, wont touch pellets or flake. Meaty foods only, always been this way. Didnt realize how big it was til I put it in the 24.. He looks massive in there..

That's strange.  I was trying pellets for a couple days, before running to the store for mysis.  He gulped the mysis right down.  Hope to get him on pellets.  He is about an inch long, so still trainable hopefully.

Well, I took the plunge and added 1ml of vinegar tonight.  I always had good results dosing vinegar in my old tank keeping nutrients down.  I plan to maintain a 1ml/day dose for now and monitor tank.

If I can avoid burning through gfo that would be nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered a "BRS Universal air filter" with CO2 scrubbing media to hook up to skimmer.  Tank is in basement, so it should help keep PH up.

Also, added a few frags.  Jedi Mind Trick, Chili Pepper, Setosa, and a Psammocora (not a monti, but almost).

10078592834_f41429d471.jpg
20131003_213903-1 by mteske1, on Flickr
10078592864_c361a589b2.jpg
20131003_213849-1 by mteske1, on Flickr
10078592734_b5313518b8.jpg
20131003_213858-1 by mteske1, on Flickr
10078592654_111eea5f36.jpg
20131003_213907-1 by mteske1, on Flickr

(edited)

I absolutely love the JMT. Easily my favorite monti.

Yea, mine as well.  The guy I got it from has a colony the size of two dinner plates... It's nuts.

I'm curious to see your air filter hooked up to the skimmer... Can you throw a photo up please.

Here ya go:

10147108626_54f646f35b.jpg

I tested Alk tonight at 8.8 and nitrates are undetectable.  Going to scale back on vinegar dosing, and add another fish in the next week or two hopefully.  Thinking a basic clown or firefish.  Something cheap.

Also, added carbon and replaced gfo.  Did a 3 gal (15%) waterchange this past Saturday.
Edited by BowieReefer84

looks good, I would cut those legs and hang it from the roof with some thin metal wire from HD. It would look more sleek, remember ADA are all about the rimless look (personal prefference though).

Looking good Mike... Do you still have the cheato in the DT.? If so hows it doing in there.? I wouldn't think its to invasive. 

Yea, it's doing just fine in there for now.  Trying to decide if I should move it to the sump, or get rid of it.  For now the DT is a fine place.

looks good, I would cut those legs and hang it from the roof with some thin metal wire from HD. It would look more sleek, remember ADA are all about the rimless look (personal prefference though).

Yea, I would but it's just easier using the legs.  Plus the stand is low, and the wires would hang pretty far.  Not sure that would look any less obtrusive.

Updated FTS?

5 tiny frags, and next to no coraline...  I'll wait to post more fts.

Added a Percula Clown to the tank yesterday from CTE Aquatics up in Timonium. It's small at about 1" or so.

Nice. How is CTE? Haven't been there since they opened.

I like it.  Everything looked healthy, and they had a good setup.  It's kind of a bare bones place, but I will definitely go back again.  I kind of have a soft spot for them since the one gentleman used to work at Exotic Aquatics, which is the store that got me started.

Nothing beats using two 5 gal bucket's to do a 20% weekly water change...  I'm thinking about using 1 gal jugs to do water changes a few times a week.  Like 1 gal every other day.  I don't think I would need to worry about temp, since it's such a small amount.  I could just put the salt in the jug and shake it up for a few minutes.

Thoughts on not letting it mix overnight?

Nothing beats using two 5 gal bucket's to do a 20% weekly water change...  I'm thinking about using 1 gal jugs to do water changes a few times a week.  Like 1 gal every other day.  I don't think I would need to worry about temp, since it's such a small amount.  I could just put the salt in the jug and shake it up for a few minutes.

Thoughts on not letting it mix overnight?

Not a problem if it's done in small amounts in my opinion. I confess to having done it this way before without seeing any ill effect whatsoever.