Mike's 17gal tank

Using my old 29gal Biocube as the inspiration behind this new tank.

17gal (12"x24"x14") ADA w/ overflow&sump

JBJ Rimless Tank Stand 

Skimmer

MP10

Maxspect 20" razor

Tunze ato

Hoping to get it wet late August.  Going to be bare bottom high flow with mainly montipora corals.

9406548746_e7f8cbf39d.jpg
tank 7.30.13 by mteske1, on Flickr

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying to think of a good return pump, and leaning towards the Eheim Compact Series.

Thinking the 2000 would be good as it is adjustable from 265-528gph.  I think I want 5x turnover through sump.  17x5 = 85gph.  On the lowest setting I would think the 2000 would be good.  Maybe even the 1000.  Need to find head loss charts.

Very nice

Lets see this tank win a second TOTM!

That would be something else... haha

Just order a Tunze Silence Pump 1073.020.  Controllable from 50gph to 600+gph.  Will work perfectly to dial in the overflow.  I will prob be around 100gph, so the wattage is only like 15.

Read about it here: http://reefbuilders.com/2009/08/24/tunze-hydrofoamer-silence-pump-really-delivers-reliable-quiet-performance/

Looking good Mike.

Can't wait to see it in person when it's up and running.

Its sooooo small.  

Honestly, I love the size.  I can add the exact corals I want and have a nice little tank, that consumes almost no electricity or time.

Looking good Mike.

Can't wait to see it in person when it's up and running.

Yea, def.  I plan to get water in it the end of the month after vacation!  Just waiting on a couple items to have it all ready to go.

With such a little tank, if you're running high flow from the MP10 you might end up needing one of these to prevent the MP10 from sucking down a vortex from the surface.

http://www.picoaquariums.com/pico-accessories/29-pico-mp10-shallow-shield.html

I had 2 mp10's on this tank with no shields, it was perfectly fine.

Wow two mp10s on a 17 gallon? I keep wondering if I should add another on my 30 gallon for a little more flow.

• 3 weeks later...

What are your fav montiporas? I have seen a bunch of tiny frags of em but never mature.

Sunset, Mike Paletta Blue, Grinch, Jedi Mind Trick, Tyree Rainbow, Pink Cadillac, superman, anything bright and colorful with contrasting polyps...

Shot from my old tank:

6183045121_6924933966.jpg

P1010895 by mteske1, on Flickr

I just love the encrusting growth patterns.

Are you gonna hang your lights?

Not planning on it.  I like the design of the tank mount, and it's so simple.  The tank is low, so they would hang really far, and the cables would prob look odd.