monkiboy's 265g build thread

I love d2mini's setup that you posted the pics of. I aspire to do that on my RO/DI and SW systems. I think he used these, right?

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=25328

Moniiboy, since you're the group-buy master, I wonder if a group buy from US plastics would net any cheaper shipping. Maybe not because they drop ship?

I think I'd like a couple of those 40 gallon applicator tanks, and maybe one of these stock tanks:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23947&catid=957

and a few space saver jugs for dosing chemicals:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=25129&catid=611

and maybe some acrylic sheet to make an overflow box:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23901&catid=442

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is like reading a Star Trek script. Keep up the good work CDR Data! Tagging along.

Got to see this project in person today. That tank is a MONSTER. Good luck with the build man and let me know if you ever need any help. I'll get you some info on those containers shortly.

(edited)

trying to get a lot done today. running an additional 12-3 line to add some GCFIs on separate breakers. looking to have at least three of four 15-20A quad boxes in the fish room and under the tank.

20130402_141653_zps3440e775.jpg

did a final skim coat, sanded, and primed:

20130402_114058_zps01576bc5.jpg

then started breaking down the existing fish room to be able to demo the wall to allow access behind the 265.

20130402_102358_zpsade1eb5e.jpg

20130402_102402_zpsa80060bc.jpg

20130402_110512_zpsfb6e811d.jpg

20130402_110458_zpsb150ed58.jpg

20130402_110504_zps158cb83d.jpg

20130402_114113_zps60912235.jpg

20130402_114121_zps4ff2bd49.jpg

with the sump removed and fish filtration goodies out of there, time to knock down some wall!

20130402_120411_zps4b5c8c03.jpg

20130402_120401_zps64c47dff.jpg

IMG_0015_zpsbe2ecfe7.jpg

IMG_8680_zpsb7dc12f4.jpg

Edited by monkiboy

(edited)

do i need to kilz/waterproof my stand? about to get the existing sump for the upstairs back up and running temporarily and the 265 on the stand.

also, can i use this stuff on top of the stand. about .5" thick and perfect size or should i go get some foam insulation sheet at HD and in what measurement?

quick answers appreciated!

20130402_141903_zps44faff62.jpg

20130402_141908_zps0f62f9ea.jpg

how thick is required or needed for a tank this size?

the whole point is just to eat up some, if any, of the unlevel-ness over time, yes?

also, should i remove the lower trim from the tank. it is not structurally doing anything. it does not have any bracing crossing the bottom pane. it is just a square frame trim. didn't know if having no trim and an edge to sit on would be better to allow the entire lower pane to absorb the force/pressure vs just having the edge/border of the trim taking it all as it lifts the tank by about .5"

immediate thoughts appreciated. thanks!

Edited by monkiboy

DO NOT use any foam under the tank. Ensure the stand is level (1/16" tolerance). 1/4" pink foam is sometimes used to compensate for irregularities in the top wood panel, not for leveling.

Gee, when you are ready to go, you go.

I would think removing the bottom trim is a bad idea, but dont know exactly why. The weight is engineered to be held up by that trim, though, not by the bottom pane of glass.

I would think removing the bottom trim is a bad idea, but dont know exactly why. The weight is engineered to be held up by that trim, though, not by the bottom pane of glass.

+1. I forgot to address the other question. I recommend not removing the bottom trim.

i can't believe how fast you are moving along...this is amazing!!! are you doing this by yourself or do elves come out at night? LOL

looks fantastic...I can't wait until this tank is set up...have a feeling it is going to be spectacular

thanks tony and alan, ok so definitely nothing but the stand under the tank - no foam or insulation sheething. the bottom trim intact. about to move this thing and don't want to have to do it twice.

stand is absolutely perfectly level but thought folks used the insulation, like you mentioned, for stand/wood settling with DIY stands and that i might benefit since i have seen a lot of builds on here with it. but i trust your judgement completely, so i'll go without.

20130402_154621_zps562c3514.jpg

thanks for the quick replies.

Be aware, the stand may appear level now, but with adequate weight applied it may not be level. Can you further level the stand when the tank is half full? Forgive me for asking the next question, because I know the answer, but you are using at least a four foot level?

Be aware, the stand may appear level now, but with adequate weight applied it may not be level. Can you further level the stand when the tank is half full? Forgive me for asking the next question, because I know the answer, but you are using at least a four foot level?

of course not. i'm using a torpedo - 12".

:tongue:

I used the same foam under my tank. Actually it wasn't the cool manly steel grey but the blue, green, red one for kids. Not sure it does anything but doesn't hurt either. I would agree that the stand can settle over time. I don't think it started out that way but at some point my tank leaned back from the wall and needed to be lifted about 3/8" of an inch. Coral Hind and I drained about 20% and then used a car jack with some shims. I was sweating bullets but it worked just fine.

Rght. If you want help lifting that tank up during the day some day let me know. Evenings are harder when on kid duty, but the taxpayers can pay for a drive to silver spring some day.

Got to see this project in person today. That tank is a MONSTER. Good luck with the build man and let me know if you ever need any help. I'll get you some info on those containers shortly.

looking good...great progress!

Very nice.......loving the progress. Keep the pics coming!!

nvm not sure why but it was a few posts behind and already anwsered

very nice progress

Lookin great! If you need a hand don't hesitate to give me a ring

Rght. If you want help lifting that tank up during the day some day let me know. Evenings are harder when on kid duty, but the taxpayers can pay for a drive to silver spring some day.

thanks for the offers of help and comments - i appreciate the support and enthusiasm. keeps me going!

DO NOT use any foam under the tank. Ensure the stand is level (1/16" tolerance). 1/4" pink foam is sometimes used to compensate for irregularities in the top wood panel, not for leveling.

thank you, i ditched the idea.

+1. I forgot to address the other question. I recommend not removing the bottom trim.

thank you - left it in place.

haha, i can't sit around and see my basement a mess like that and with such an exciting project - i'm all go-go-go! thanks for the advice - i left the bottom trim in place.

i can't believe how fast you are moving along...this is amazing!!! are you doing this by yourself or do elves come out at night? LOL

looks fantastic...I can't wait until this tank is set up...have a feeling it is going to be spectacular

thank you - i'm excited to get her wet, ready, and cycled for sure! no, i'm not a lone ranger on this project - my dad helps. we conquer a lot of projects together. he's owns a design/build firm and is a general contractor so i learned a lot growing up working with/for him, which helps a ton in these kinds of endeavors as one would imagine.

thanks for the heads up and call. i'm planning on filling up halfway for a few days, let things settle and reassess how things are. good input.

I used the same foam under my tank. Actually it wasn't the cool manly steel grey but the blue, green, red one for kids. Not sure it does anything but doesn't hurt either. I would agree that the stand can settle over time. I don't think it started out that way but at some point my tank leaned back from the wall and needed to be lifted about 3/8" of an inch. Coral Hind and I drained about 20% and then used a car jack with some shims. I was sweating bullets but it worked just fine.

yes, i saw that in your build thread which is where i got the idea to use my garage matting instead of the insulation sheet. good to hear about another experience with settling. glad you were able to get it rectified!

sliding her from her resting spot to the opening with some 3" and 4" PVC pipe i had laying around...

20130402_160253_zps4e8e8cae.jpg

getting ready to put her in place. thankfully i had another strong soul visiting and between the three of us we got her up and in her final destination. don't know if just me and my dad could of done it without the extra muscle so that was a swell surprise.

3117393e-15c0-46b0-a1c1-ce33b8ca1a61_zps6d04ef55.jpg

tank is in, trim work done, baseboard and bullnose, just needs some mud tonight and i'll skim tomorrow.

20130402_213506_zps6fdba8a8.jpg

20130402_213517_zpsc5532317.jpg

got the existing sump running temporarily while i figure out design of the layout in the room, figure out the water storage, etc.

20130402_213624_zps7d5b06f3.jpg

20130402_213558_zps075d1bce.jpg