monkiboy's 265g build thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Awesome progress...I also like the tank repelling down the stairs,lol

And gotta love tankless water heaters...though you may have to put in extra ventilation depending on the model...

Awesome progress...I also like the tank repelling down the stairs,lol

And gotta love tankless water heaters...though you may have to put in extra ventilation depending on the model...

do you have one you would suggest or opinion about them?

Will your coast to coast be internal or external?

internal. thanks for asking.

I don't have one... My friends I WA state do and the ended up moving it to the garage because the BTU's they needed to run 3 showers at once would have needed an exhaust fan where the old tanked heater was in the closet....so they just backed the gas line in to the garage and stuck it on the wall in there...

I don't have one... My friends I WA state do and the ended up moving it to the garage because the BTU's they needed to run 3 showers at once would have needed an exhaust fan where the old tanked heater was in the closet....so they just backed the gas line in to the garage and stuck it on the wall in there...

ok, thanks for the information.

Update !!!! Sleep is a waste of time tagging along.

nothing new. will finish the stand, start moving the existing fish maintenance gear and sump from the old fish room to the new, put drywall up, and maybe get the tank in all next week. i got a lot of projects going on, all the items from the GBs will be trickling in this coming week and don't know how much time i'll have for my own build but i'll update as soon as there's something! thanks for following along, sir!

(edited)

wow you are moseying right along...and neat as a pin which I assume was the wife's condition for this build? LOL

looks awesome!

no wife; i'm just very meticulous and diligent in most things i set out to do. thanks for following! Edited by monkiboy

(edited)

got some taping and mudding to do but no material.

helped move a friend from a five bedroom single family yesterday for six hours and today a 200g+ tank out of the 7th floor of a commercial building, my body is asking for a bit of a break so we will see what else gets done. well make a run to HD and see what else i can get done today and post up with updates...if any.

Edited by monkiboy

I don't know how I missed this thread. Amazing stuff going on. That's a big tank. I can't believe after moving yesterday and today you still have energy to mud drywall.

got some taping and mudding to do but no material.

helped move a friend from a five bedroom single family yesterday for six hours and today a 200g+ tank out of the 7th floor of a commercial building, my body is asking for a bit of a break so we will see what else gets done. well make a run to HD and see what else i can get done today and post up with updates...if any.

He's strong like a bull. He held up one end of that tank while we all picked our nose and wondered how we'd get it around the corners. I highly recommend him for all your large tank moves.

I don't know how I missed this thread. Amazing stuff going on. That's a big tank. I can't believe after moving yesterday and today you still have energy to mud drywall.

He's strong like a bull. He held up one end of that tank while we all picked our nose and wondered how we'd get it around the corners. I highly recommend him for all your large tank moves.

thanks, yeah but i wish the tank was a bit bigger but decided on bigger for the next house. i'm pretty excited about it so it's easy to get motivated, haha.

and on the moving today, thanks for bringing your brain as i apparently did not with all the geometry going on!

i'm struggling to figure out the most efficient and well-designed way to go about incorporating my 46g nem/clown tank upstairs with this 265 build downstairs. i think it would be best to combine the two to minimize equipment, maintenance and have one fish room and system aside from the breeding system which will be on the other side of the basement. the only think i was thinking of is that if the upstairs overflow ever clogs, i'll have 265g+ of water pumping up overflowing upstairs and that worries me.

i have a glass-holes overflow on the tank upstairs. i was thinking of taking my return (3/4") from the tank upstairs via bulkhead in the tank and removing it. then using that as a back up with a 1" reduced street 90° in the tank facing up. and use a sea swirl to the existing braided pvc line for the return. problem is the glass holes overflow is a 1.5" opening/bulkhead and the drilled return being 3/4". if tune the water flow for the uptake of the 3/4" then my flow decreases dramatically and i'm a firm believe in not having powerheads in a nem tank. then again, how likely is it that something will block the overflow? if i ran it without it's cover plate then worse case it gets sucked down into the overflow, right?

i also don't know how to design the pump arrangement downstairs. i imagine i'll have a separate pump downstairs from the main sump for both tanks to pump upstairs to this one externally run from the sump through a bulkhead in the return section, then another pump externally run to a manifold for return to the 265 and peripherals?

i plan to have a 20L or so for macro and don't know where would be ideal in terms of plumbing for it's placement nor idea placement in the filtering process, perhaps fed off one of the manifold's outlets and then overflow via bulkhead back to the skimmer section of my sump?

how many outlets you think i need to have under the stand? i was thinking with two quad-outlet GCFI, i should be fine, right? i have an apex now from the GB i just put together and have two EB8s i'll probably put to use and then one of those dj strips perhaps so i dont think i'll need too many, right?

then lastly are water containers. at the moment,i have two ~30g brute cans i use for my 46 upstairs and they work well. i was thinking of upgrading to a 125g fresh water and around 100g salt water so that i have a nice supply of salt water always ready for the AWC system and any emergencies. thoughts? i prefer to have a separate fresh water bin and run my ATO off of that vs refilling a saltwater bin with RO/DI for a day and then adding salt. that would also leave more room under the stand without a ATO container there. do you think i should larger or smaller on these sizes? with the removal of the water heater in favor of a tankless water heater, that will clear up quite a bit of floor space for storage containers so thought i'd take advantage.

i really need to sit down with a designer or get my hands on sketchup and draw this out i think.

any input on the above would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

I have always been fond of the pepsi drums for storing water. They hold 55 gallons. Outlets, I would always add more than you think you will need. I have a 6 outlet for most of my equipment and I added 2 dj switches for convenient. I have another 4 outlet on the other side of my setup on a separate circuit. As for pumps, I like having a manifold and having less pumps. I have my main return pump plumbed to provide water to all my tanks and chiller and then another pump to provide water to my filters (GFO,Carbon, CA reactor, etc).

What ever yo decide make sure it is easy to do and KIS. The more complicated you make it the less likely you will do that chore. I push a button to fill up my saltwater drum and push another pump to turn on the circulation pump (this also turns on once an hour to circulate it). I also push a button to fill my top off. Everything is backed up with float valves.

I have always been fond of the pepsi drums for storing water. They hold 55 gallons. Outlets, I would always add more than you think you will need. I have a 6 outlet for most of my equipment and I added 2 dj switches for convenient. I have another 4 outlet on the other side of my setup on a separate circuit. As for pumps, I like having a manifold and having less pumps. I have my main return pump plumbed to provide water to all my tanks and chiller and then another pump to provide water to my filters (GFO,Carbon, CA reactor, etc).

What ever yo decide make sure it is easy to do and KIS. The more complicated you make it the less likely you will do that chore. I push a button to fill up my saltwater drum and push another pump to turn on the circulation pump (this also turns on once an hour to circulate it). I also push a button to fill my top off. Everything is backed up with float valves.

+1

thanks scott!

pepsi drums are cheap and easy to get but i think i need more capacity. i feed heavy (about six-eight times a day of small meals) and keep up with an excellent skimmer and a diligent water change schedule. i like not having to mix salt water ever time i do a change.

on a ~400g system i guess i could do 40g (10%) a week change and likely be fine so maybe they will work and would likely take up very little space. can you measure the height on one of your pepsi drums and report back? i was thinking of setting something like this:

7170152177_4b14de8b29_o.jpg

7355364750_bce415dbf4_o.jpg

and was curious if i'll have the height with my <8' basement ceilings.

i am amidst wiring now but only had 14-3 and 12-2 in the garage. of course the 12-2 i had that i was planning on making two runs of from the electrical panel was too short for even one run. so i'm going to pick up a 100' spool of 12-3 and have two more quad GCFI 20A circuits added to the two individual already there.

i think i might need to come over once more and take some photos for an idea on how to have things flow with my frag tank, macro tank, etc.

i agree on maintenance and designing to keep things simple. that's why i invested in the genesis reef system and why i want to integrate both systems (upstairs and downstairs) so i can utilize it one one system instead of buying another. the automatic recurring water changes, ATO replenishment, ATO, and triple redundancy makes things very easy.

thanks, again.

any more specific input and suggestions, please!

if Overflow Is Clogged you won't get all 265g on the floor. you'll get however much untIl Return Runs Dry.

you're right. and i guess i can use the apex and some float valves, so that if the return section falls below a certain level it shuts the return pumps off to save them from "starvation".