monkiboy's 265g build thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stop drawing and start cutting and screwing it together! You wont regret making a 39" tall stand, more room underneath!!!

you really shouldn't discourage me from the little planning, design, thinking ahead i do, haha! thankfully, i've done this a few times but i'm always doing things on the fly and sometimes it bites me in the rear. "what? oh, that wall? yeah i guess it kind of is in the way, huh? well, i guess let's knock it down!"

Love you're drawings. Looks similar to mine from a couple of years ago. I still have that little yellow pad somewhere.... :laugh:

great to hear! any photos of the stand build? did you have any vertical supports in the rear for your 6' span? or just the four legs and a microlam front and rear i imagine? just one front and rear? what size legs? i'm thinking of sistering two 2x4"s for each leg and one microlam/lvl front and rear with vertical supports in the rear of the stand up against the wall and none in the front facing the empty room. thanks for your input!

Photos of stand build are in my build thread. There are only 4 vertical supports- one on each corner. 3 of them are 4x4s, the other is 2x4's sistered together because the other 4x4 was too warped for my comfort. The back side and top of the stand has a plywood faces screwed against it to keep it all together. The other 3 faces just have corner brackets and toe nails/screws. One small wierd thing is that the 2x8 LVL is actually 2"x8", not like a 2x8 piece of lumber. I only had 2 LVLs for the long lengths so for the sides 24"depth, I used 2x8 on the sides. They are flush against the top but come 1/4" shy along the bottom where they meet the vertical posts. Had to put some shims in there. Stand has held up not problems so I guess it's good...

Photos of stand build are in my build thread. There are only 4 vertical supports- one on each corner. 3 of them are 4x4s, the other is 2x4's sistered together because the other 4x4 was too warped for my comfort. The back side and top of the stand has a plywood faces screwed against it to keep it all together. The other 3 faces just have corner brackets and toe nails/screws. One small wierd thing is that the 2x8 LVL is actually 2"x8", not like a 2x8 piece of lumber. I only had 2 LVLs for the long lengths so for the sides 24"depth, I used 2x8 on the sides. They are flush against the top but come 1/4" shy along the bottom where they meet the vertical posts. Had to put some shims in there. Stand has held up not problems so I guess it's good...

excellent, thanks for the information. i'm going to have to have some studs for the drywall on the outside facing so there will be vertical supports there anyway so no microlam/LVL on that side but will likely use the two 2x9 1/4" i have on the 7' span that will be completely devoid of interior vertical supports. way over built but i have two ten footers laying around so i might as well use them and feel 200% about a seven foot span from a 265 being very well supported without any vertical supports other than the legs.

e4163c1b-cb5d-464f-8060-0a1db3d30e8d_zpsd3af1f27.jpg

20130322_130306_zpsa60f4b2a.jpg

PVC rollers:

20130322_130423_zpsfdaf64d2.jpg

used some webbing and made a simple harness around the tank and clipped in!

20130322_131635_zpsa9a5ea6e.jpg

20130322_132350_zpsaa708345.jpg

nice and easy and before you knew it, we have it downstairs!

20130322_133432_zps00032435.jpg

railing back up and clean up a bit -

20130322_134943_zpsaaa1de9d.jpg

able to get it done pretty easily and without a smudge on a wall or on the stairs - score ;)

(edited)

With such a small wall you should use a double layer of drywall. It will stop any sound from coming through the wall since there won't be any insulation.

good idea, thanks.

i decided that i did want it pretty quiet so i actually am using acoustic insulation and i'm going to be using 5/8" drywall instead of doubling up on 1/2". then we'll install a vapor barrier and should be tomb-like silence.

Edited by monkiboy

Are you planning to drill the tank? How much of a sump?

yes, sir. i wanted to be sure to get a non reef-ready so that i wouldn't have to deal with removing overflows and could build it out the way i want. adam of AA is building me a coast to coast and i'll the herbie or bean animal overflow design.

adam is also converting a 150g acrylic tank i picked up for cheap into my sump. it will be 90g when we cut its 30" height down to 18". this is what it looked like before:

20130123_182203_zpsf3ae1ff0.jpg

20130123_182245_zps4fc75764.jpg

outside of that, i plan to run a 40B filled with LR and a 20L with macro as a fuge. i was going to put my new breeder setup in line with this but for ideal conditions that it requires that do not match that of my reef, they will be run independent on the other side of my basement.

the 46g bow front i have now upstairs that has it's fish/maintenance room next to this 265g's area will be run in line with the 265 as well and filtration will be handled by one system instead of two independent. that way i can utilize my existing automatic water change, top off, and top off for my fresh water setup on the entire shebang. still need to figure out water storage and space limitations, though.

BTW

That street looks very similar. Near Mont. Blair HS? I used to live in SS!

no, about ten minutes away but all the burbs around here look the same :)

Thumbs up, loving it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Are you going to have access from the other side or your're crawl under the stand :happy:

haha, yeah i posted a photo in the beginning of the thread:

20130318_131154_zpsfdd1e903.jpg

the wall to the left of the stand is getting knock down to allow access from the existing door to the fish/maintenance room. then hopefully get a tankless water heater to free up a bit more room for water storage.