Two tanks, One room

YHSublime

Used the snow day to make 55 gallons of RO and start clearing the frag racks! Oh, and sleep. Used a lot of epoxy, and I didn't even overflow my skimmer! Everything is coming up Milhouse! I've had my powerheads on full for about a week now, and I've noticed a nice improvement with my SPS. Still getting some red slime, but I believe this is because of me feeding so much food. I am trying to feed less 2x a day instead of broadcast feeding 2x a day. It's tough, but my phosphates are getting up there, and this will be a nice slow/gradual change I can make.

Over feed and over skim. Fat happy corals and fish = happy tank!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How often do they molt? How is his new home coming along?

From what I've read, nobody really knows, speculations are it's based on the lunar cycle. I don't replicate much of that in my tank, but maybe nature just knows? I've also heard every 4-6 months. His new home is coming along just dandy, pictures on the way.

Over feed and over skim. Fat happy corals and fish = happy tank!

So that's the theory, right? Heavy in heavy out. Unfortunately, I don't think my output matches the input, hence the problems. I'm going to turn Ruperts current home into a "fuge." By that I mean I will blast it with light and load it with cheato. Perhaps this will help me with the "out" aspect.

Your picture taking is amazing man! Great stuff!!!

Thanks so much, Jason, still learning!

Wtg Rupert, and Isaac!  They are the neatest creatures!

I didn't have much to do with it! He just grabs food and looks at me funny, although he has been awfully curious about this new enclosure that's coming in.

great pics. sorry about the coral banded

Thank you, sir! The coral banded is fine. I just thought that is what happened, in order to describe the way it looks. Hopefully they will co-exist until next weekend when I should have Rupert in his new digs.

So being in an apartment, my space is lacking. The kitchen and two upside down buckets turned into my workstation. All things considered, I think it came out fine. My next step is a piece of light plywood to strap to the front with magnets, and a nice finished piece to attach to the top.

DSC_0397_zps3bd56f6f.jpg

DSC_0399_zpsa96ddb73.jpg

DSC_0400_zps84efd6f7.jpg

And yes, I am using the baseboard as load bearing, I sat on it with success.

I am not much of a carpenter, engineering, or careful, so if anybody has suggestions, my ears are open. I can't move the sump over, as it's drilled for a dart motor on the other end, and the plumbing butts right up into my tank stand. The sump (which I never thought I was going to cover) is pressed up against the baseboard. It was a perfect fit when setting up the tank, and designed to squeeze everything up against that wall. The height is enough to do any maintenance in the sump comfortably, and allows for me to pull the skimmer cup off no problem.

It looks great but that side resting on the baseboard makes me very nervous! 

Why not just cut the top a half inch smaller and rest the side on the floor like a sane person? 

like a sane person? 

That was your first mistake! I'm insane in the membrane!

Ok, so i read it better and you can't move the sump. Still crazy. 

If it can hold me, it should definitely be able to hold a 20 gallon. It has nowhere to go, it's wedged up between the wall and the sump, and that sump is not moving. It was a really hard place to troubleshoot a stand/cover, but I think this will work. For some strange reason putting all the tanks in one place is starting to make me feel like I should start charging admission to the Ballston Aquarium. :wacko:

i'm just laughing over here at how more ridiculous and involved the set ups get and how sanely we like to justify what we're doing to our systems.

i just set up a large coral and fish qt system in another part of my basement. to me it seemed like a perfectly normal and natural evolution and expansion of my system. but now reading about yours and as an outsider, i see how even the small additions of tanks and space along the way seem over the top - i dig how crazy, or should i say how passionate, we aquarists are at times :happy:

ps - i'd like to see that stand secured either to the back wall or existing stand both of which look easy to do before you get too far along. i think you may have already done that but can't see the whole thing. g'luck!

I'm just laughing over here at how more ridiculous and involved the set ups get and how sanely we like to justify what we're doing to our systems.

The lady has gone to bed. And she is the one demanding the "cover." I told her I was putting this tank on top, she's more than happy to have it off the office desk. Something tells me she wont be so excited when she actually sees it...

ps - i'd like to see that stand secured either to the back wall or existing stand both of which look easy to do before you get too far along. i think you may have already done that but can't see the whole thing. g'luck!

So it doesn't cover back to the back wall, because of the drain and return pipes from the overflows. Unless you're talking about the wall with the piece of plywood against it. I could definitely secure it to that wall no problems, and it's not done yet. Do you think that would be enough to put minds and ease?

It looks like the board on top is not on top of the sides but is attached to the side of them?  If so, it seems like it would be better to have the board on top go all the way to the edge of the side supports rather than inset so that the sides are in compression rather than hanging off them.  Maybe I'm seeing it wrong, though.

You are engaged or married?  Careful how far you push this...

he is engaged...so she doesn't have the power of veto yet...he is smart to do it now....this time next year he will be lucky if she allows him even one tank LOL

Love it man looks sick everything grew so much since I last saw it!

Thanks! It's hard to see all the growth when you stare at it every day, that's nice to hear.

That looks scary. Is the baseboard made of real wood?

Why does it look scary?! It's a rock! Yes, real wood.

I'm actually more concerned about the right side....it doesn't look like the right side is supported correctly.  Someone who works with wood tell me I'm wrong please.

I used the right side like a pogo stick before I hooked it up, trust me, it's solid.

Can you remove the baseboard?

In theory, we've lost our deposit a long time ago, but the short answer is no, I don't think I'll be doing that.

I think you need a brace across the back to prevent racking and putting pressure on the sump or some disaster smashing into the DT. Securing to the wall would also be great.

I think that would be helpful, I will throw that in ASAP.

You are engaged or married?  Careful how far you push this...

Hilarious. She actually wanted this, and I did give her a heads up of what was coming down the pipe. I've found it's better to beg for forgiveness then ask for permission.

It looks like the board on top is not on top of the sides but is attached to the side of them?  If so, it seems like it would be better to have the board on top go all the way to the edge of the side supports rather than inset so that the sides are in compression rather than hanging off them.  Maybe I'm seeing it wrong, though.

That is correct. The board on top is NOT on top of the sides. This part is not yet complete, I plan on getting a piece of plywood to cover the entire top (over the edges.) I also will be getting a thin sheet of plywood to magnet over the front as well. You are not seeing it wrong at all.

he is engaged...so she doesn't have the power of veto yet...he is smart to do it now....this time next year he will be lucky if she allows him even one tank LOL

Don't I know it.

I would add 2 long pieces of wood (front and back) which will prevent the stand from moving side to side. I would secure the wood with heavy duty corner brackets.

something similar to this.

http://mobile.dlawlesshardware.com/corner-bracket-2--heavy-duty.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=19600381160&utm_content=pla&gclid=CMvkkNvs17wCFZRsfgodNUUApw

I would add 2 long pieces of wood (front and back) which will prevent the stand from moving side to side. I would secure the wood with heavy duty corner brackets.

I got some wood to brace the front and back, but I don't think I need to overdo it with corner brackets, to be honest with you.

I have spent more on this stand than I would have liked to already, and I still don't have the front cover on it yet. I do have the magnets though. The good news is, once it's all together, I think it's going to look really nice. I am thinking about staining the outside to get a closer match with my tanks stand and hood.

I am going to make a nice panel board on the inside that will mount all my dosers and JB controls, ATO box, etc. I am also going to paint the PVC that comes in above the stand black, will keep the underneath white. I just need to find a bushing to take the 1.5" PVC down to whatever my mag 5 has on it, I've not looked. I also need to exchange one of the bulkheads from threaded to threaded to slip to threaded, I got a mix match. I hope to have it all put together by march 1st.

looks good!

Thanks much, getting there!