Two tanks, One room

YHSublime

bwahahaha. the power of the wrasse. good work getting them in qt. keep us updated!

Thanks man, learned my lesson the hard way!

Very pretty! I got the wrasse addiction with my flasher wrasse...wanting many many more wrasses!

Yeah, they are pretty awesome. I love getting them accustomed to their new digs, watching them feel safer and exploring more! Only downside is they just want to jump!

Very nice!!

Thanks!

Very nice fish! They look better in person. Forgot to take a quick look at Rupert though..next time!

I agree, Rupert will hopefully be in his new house by the next time I see ya!

That's some good growth. Keep it up. Flames are pretty sweet, eh?

Thanks man, no idea what I'm doing here, but it seems to be working! Love the flames!

I'm currently battling red cyano. Not a lot, but a few dime sized patches. I believe the issue is a combination of high nutrients, long photo periods, and lack of flow. Based on the areas I'm getting it in, I think the issue is most likely flow, like the back wall around the frag racks where flow is restricted, or behind rocks on the bottom of the tank that don't see much movement. I've resorted to manually blowing off the rocks every day, and the frag racks as well, but I might have to re adjust my powerheads. I have also taken my JB's into W2 mode, and run the MP smack dab in the center back wall on 60%

After writing this all out, I wonder if the placement of the MP40 on the back wall is creating an awkward flow from my JB 40's on either end. From observation, I started having issues after I started using it. Perhaps I will try turning it of again, and seeing if I get a better motion around the tank?

Another issue is bubble algae, which manual removal is taking it's toll. Maybe I'll take up a less stressful hobby, like skydiving.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turn that MP up...cmon man...

i have the wp40 on high constant and the MP on full, wp25 on high as well on back pane soon to be replaced with an mp40.

Roger that. Will try it out tonight. Might affect the "mixed" portion of my reef. Maybe it's time to go dedicated sps :)

Isaac I do the mixed reef also as you know. I have 2 Mp40's on a 36x36 running at about 75% and just make the lps deal with it. I have a ton of sps. I also turn on a small koralia every other day for about 6 hours to blow around the back of the tank.

OOOO yeh, forget about the mixed reef thing.....so used to having just under the amount of flow that moves the rocks

Well, rocks not moved, but my cynarina made it about a foot over since the flow was brought up.

I call dibs on your zoas if you do! Lol

You know I would setup another tank before I got rid of my zoas! ;)

Isaac I do the mixed reef also as you know. I have 2 Mp40's on a 36x36 running at about 75% and just make the lps deal with it. I have a ton of sps. I also turn on a small koralia every other day for about 6 hours to blow around the back of the tank.

Thanks for the information. I figured that's what I was going to do, is just see how the LPS handles it. So far so good! Just did a 40 gallon water change last night, and before I did it blew off all the rocks and turned the flow up almost 100%. I should have tried this a long time ago, but let's see if it solves any problems.

Isaac. I actually had to stop looking at your pictures because I was so jealous. 

No way! You've been a great help to me, when you're ready, I only hope I can return the favor!

How are they doing...and I assuming you mean that one is already turning male?

Yeah, so like 5 days ago I guessed it. I think that's what is happening, I've not had Flame Wrasse before! It's colors are definitely brighter, and it's developed VERY distinct color markings on it, VS. the other two, who still look the same as they did in the video. They are doing well, they all come to the edge of the tank when I come into the room, and have quickly learned where their food comes from. They also eat from my fingers now, although still skittish, as most wrasse are.

I speculate that one will become male, but that is just based on mild dominance behavior that I'm seeing already on the other two. Again, just an observation on my part, not fact. It's only their second day in the QT tank (and in Virginia,) and they are much nicer than I thought. The wrasse addiction is in effect.

that's awesome and being able to witness the process is lots of fun and interesting as behavior changes as well. thanks for the share sir.

It's pretty cool, although now I'm seeing a bit of aggression. Hopefully it will pass, or maybe it's an indicator I should put more PVC in the tank for hiding?

DSC_0422_zps536b41e0.jpg

Wow, looks awesome. Wonder he will turn into a super male.

I also wonder. I'm still trying to figure that concept out! :)

Few pics from tonight. I've got a macro lens on the way, so it should help take my photography to the next level. I've not shot with one when I've known what I was doing, so I look forward to some great results. Until then, my regular old shots will have ta' do.

DSC_0381_zps8c5e4bcb.jpg

DSC_0387_zps1d34c66b.jpg

DSC_0396_zpsb62910c5.jpg

DSC_0399_zps836112eb.jpg

DSC_0401_zps9be57658.jpg

Oh no, who beat up your flame? Are they all still in qt? All three of mine are doing great. I still haven't seen the big one eat anything. But it's gotta be eating something or she'd probably be dead by now. Awesome pics btw.

I suspect it's the new turned male. All in qt still, so I've got 2 suspects.

All 3 are eating from my hands!

Thanks! I can't wait till my tamron af 90mm gets in, hope to have some wall worthy pics!

Oh firstly OWWIEE

Next, love the pictures!

Thanks Kim !

when i had a flame, it would sleep in the rocks, i would def add more hiding spots. it will reduce stress for the fish as well.

your hippo is really colorful. only time mines was that colorful was when i added selcon and garlic to their food.

I would definitely add some more hiding places…. 

I threw some more PVC in.

when i had a flame, it would sleep in the rocks, i would def add more hiding spots. it will reduce stress for the fish as well.

your hippo is really colorful. only time mines was that colorful was when i added selcon and garlic to their food.

Ever since I QT' all my fish, they came out really colorful. I have always done a mix of food, and since QT I have started soaking everything in Selcon. I feed at least 2 times a day, on weekends I feed all day in small amounts. I serve a mix of live, mysis, Jans, Roggers, Scotts Home Made, and live from the grocery store, frozen and cubed.

All white, no blues:

miyagi dialed in just right

DSC_0378_zpsbf55aaf4.jpg

Stubbers:

DSC_0379_zps094fa140.jpg

Utter Chaos, Mandarin Orange

DSC_0381_zpsc0b4344a.jpg

Random goodies on the frag rack:

DSC_0382_zpsc2e4afe7.jpg

This superman millie is disgustingly nice, I can't get over it:

DSC_0383_zpsdfdf113a.jpg

Evans Blue and Purple Acro: