Two tanks, One room

YHSublime

Isaac,

Liked the 'walk down the memory lane'. The tank looks great with great selection of corals. I can't wait for the tank to mature in 2014

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Copperband started eating mysis instead of pods yesterday, which is a huge deal for me!

Congrats! I've always loved these guys - I hope yours continues to thrive - they certainly are an exceptionally lovely fish! If I ever consider one in the future I may well hit you up for some advice  :biggrin: 

Isaac,

Liked the 'walk down the memory lane'. The tank looks great with great selection of corals. I can't wait for the tank to mature in 2014

I'm glad you enjoyed! I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing you start a new build in 2014 :)

Congrats! I've always loved these guys - I hope yours continues to thrive - they certainly are an exceptionally lovely fish! If I ever consider one in the future I may well hit you up for some advice  :biggrin:

Thanks, getting it eating was pressing for me. It helped that my tank has just been fish free for 2 months, so my pod population was gigantic. I wish I could say I have some advice to offer you, but we will see how long I can keep this one healthy for. I've not heard many success stories, and the ones I have heard generally had the CB dying for no apparent reason around the 2 year mark (I have heard this from more than one person.) Even though it is eating mysis, I would like to try pellets next, as I'm getting ready to hook an auto feeder to my Apex, this will allow me to feed multiple times a day, instead of my regular once in the AM and once in the PM.

Tank's looking great.

Thanks so much!

So a quick little update:

I picked up an male exquisite wrasse from a club member that is gorgeous. Having found the express lane into the sump at his old home, he's been giving the 150 a go. Hid for the first day, and then all it took was a feeding, and he was front and center. He's quickly becoming one of my favorite, as not only are his colors splendid, and his eyes crazy, he utilizes the whole tank, unlike many of my fish who seem to meander around the same areas. As a matter of fact, I don't think my clowns know what's 12" away from them in any direction from their nems.

DSC_0309_zps5283127d.jpg

DSC_0367_zpsde6cbd7c.jpg

Next up is a Yellow Tang. This little fish has been the sole reason my back wall is clearing of algae. Grazes all day long, and has inspired my hippo to do so. Although I was worried about aggression, it get's along swimmingly with all the fish. As a matter of fact, the hippo has a new friend, the Melanurus lucked out. It has picked at mysis, but mostly prefers the natuaral algae that's growing, and when I fed nori, didn't pay it much attention and went back to my back wall. I don't know if this will prove to be a problem in the future, but for now it's awesome! I believe it's a little skinny, but it's eating, so it should fatten up in no time.

DSC_0350_zps442603eb.jpg

Isaac, have you tried black worms with your Copper band, mine loves them.

I did at first. Mysis was the only thing it's shown interest in. I will stab at black worms again now it's eating. All my fish just recently came into liking black worms since the qt.

did you get your alk level up to where you want it yet?

Frequent water changes have been getting it to shy of 8. I want to wait until I switch my filters in the RO until I do a bigger water change, which should get me right where I would like it to be.

love the colors on your wrasse. it took my yellow tang several weeks for it to start eating nori. i add just a little bit on a veggie clip attached to a mag float. i only put in about the size of a quarter. i think yours will start to eat it once it gets used to your tank. my yellow tang is the meanest fish in my tank. it will attack any new fish with similar color or body shape for the first couple of weeks.

awesome!

Awesome indeed, just finished the last of my old water, and I'm making a big batch right now. First time switching out all the filters, easy as pie. Also kinda' gross to see some of the stuff that comes out in that water, yuck.

love the colors on your wrasse. it took my yellow tang several weeks for it to start eating nori. i add just a little bit on a veggie clip attached to a mag float. i only put in about the size of a quarter. i think yours will start to eat it once it gets used to your tank. my yellow tang is the meanest fish in my tank. it will attack any new fish with similar color or body shape for the first couple of weeks.

Thanks, the Melanurus or the Exquisite? The Mel is a pig, and eats anything. The exquisite is also a pig, but fairly new. If I ever want to find either of them, I just drop some food in the tank. The hippo and the yellow have been cleaning my back wall of algae for a few days now, so I'm not worried about it eating nori. If anything, I'm sure once it takes care of all the good stuff, it will gladly have at it. I've stopped offering it, as the hippo mimics the yellow.

Took some time to clean out my water mixing/reef closet today. After I changed out all the filters, I did a water change and emptied the remaining 20 gallons out of my 55 bucket. TDS is reading 0, and coming in at 3-4. I'm amazed at the amount of gunk coating the 55. I used about half a roll of paper towels and they came out grimy as could be. Making up some more water as we speak.

DSC_0376_zps1a5c1dfe.jpg

DSC_0378_zpse34e24a2.jpg

My fiance was getting sick of me having my RO/DI on the counter in the kitchen, so a few months ago I mounted everything into the closet and drilled up through the wall. I would keep it connected all the time, but the dishwasher is underneath, and there was no way for me to run it like that while renting. I found an easier solution was this electrical cover from home depot that I just drilled through in order to push the tubing through. Whenever I'm done with filling up the tub (also has a float valve) I just wrap up the cords after disconnecting them, and put them back under the sink.

DSC_0379_zpsf90ef2ec.jpg

The only issue I'm having now, is that I have to keep the door open when I want to plug in my pumps that I keep in the bucket. Which means I have to keep the closet door open for a good 24-48 hours while I'm mixing up the water. I was thinking about splicing a power strip and running it through the wall, putting it back together again, and just having a permanent plug (located above crock pot in the last picture.) I'm not an electrician, and again, we're renting, so I'm open to any ideas...

Tank looks good, Isaac! That top down shot a few posts back looks familiar. :tongue:

Thanks, Jack. It's getting there, always something to do. Yeah, that top down was the last time I was able to take a literal top down of the whole tank. Sometimes I wish I just wired it with some LED's and kept it!

Looking great!!  Love the exquisite wrasse.

Idea on the outlet situation:  You could wire the surge protector from in the closet to a blank outlet and mount it in the wall near your RO/DI passthrough (or even in the same wall plate.)  Then, get a cheap extension cord, cut it, and attach a male plug end to the cut end, so you have 2 male plugs.  When you need power to the power strip, connect the two outlets together with the cord.  When you don't, stash it in the closet.

That's assuming I understood your situation correctly.  Hopefully the counter outlets are GFCI protected already (they should be) because of those water lines being so close.

Isaac, loving the pic of the exquisite.  His eyes were always my favorite thing, but the little guy loved my sump.  So Im glas to see that he is living the good life now.

Looking great !!!! I just lost my trusty Yellow tang. Got him when he was the size of a 50 cent piece. Loved that guy!!!

Looking great!!  Love the exquisite wrasse.

Idea on the outlet situation:  You could wire the surge protector from in the closet to a blank outlet and mount it in the wall near your RO/DI passthrough (or even in the same wall plate.)  Then, get a cheap extension cord, cut it, and attach a male plug end to the cut end, so you have 2 male plugs.  When you need power to the power strip, connect the two outlets together with the cord.  When you don't, stash it in the closet.

That's assuming I understood your situation correctly.  Hopefully the counter outlets are GFCI protected already (they should be) because of those water lines being so close.

Thanks!

So I'm not sure if we are talking the same thing or not, but I did a top down sketch of the area I want to work with. The coat closet is on the right, with the 55 drum as the circle in the coat closet, the RO/DI mounted on the wall, and the tubes running through to my sink (this is the area I drilled the electrical faceplate for to clean up) For some strange reason, the space between the closet drywall, and the drywall that is to the sink, it's about 7". The existing plug is in the sink area, and I just want to take a surge protector (bottom half of my quickly sketched picture) splice the cord, push the cord through the wall, and patch it together again. This allows me to have "X" number of outlets available in the closet. The reason I would cut the cord, is I don't want to drill a hole big enough to push the plug through, as I'll have to patch everything up again when we move. I also don't know if there is anything important in the wall.

Isaac, loving the pic of the exquisite.  His eyes were always my favorite thing, but the little guy loved my sump.  So Im glas to see that he is living the good life now.

Thanks again! He is definitely on easy street at the moment!

Tank's looking great!  Like the new fish, especially the exquisite. 

Thanks Roni, my goal is to have a tank like yours!

Looking great !!!! I just lost my trusty Yellow tang. Got him when he was the size of a 50 cent piece. Loved that guy!!!

Thanks! Sorry to hear about your tang, I hope this one grows with me!

Oh I see.  I thought that may have been your kitchen because of the crock pot and you (or your fiancee more than likely :dry: ) would not like the cord to be visible at all times.  The suggestion I had would just look like 2 outlets and the power strip would only be live when you wanted it to and no one would know any different.  If you are still interested, I'll draw it for you.

Otherwise, as long as you splice them back together correctly and insulate properly, there should be no problems.  Just use wire nuts, then electrical tape around each individual nut, then electrical tape the whole thing.  Or use heat-shrink tubing if it makes you feel better.  Make sure the splice is not at the bottom of the "loop" of hanging wire in case the cord gets some water spray. The water will be less likely to penetrate the tape.

Oh I see.  I thought that may have been your kitchen because of the crock pot and you (or your fiancee more than likely :dry: ) would not like the cord to be visible at all times.  The suggestion I had would just look like 2 outlets and the power strip would only be live when you wanted it to and no one would know any different.  If you are still interested, I'll draw it for you.

Otherwise, as long as you splice them back together correctly and insulate properly, there should be no problems.  Just use wire nuts, then electrical tape around each individual nut, then electrical tape the whole thing.  Or use heat-shrink tubing if it makes you feel better.  Make sure the splice is not at the bottom of the "loop" of hanging wire in case the cord gets some water spray. The water will be less likely to penetrate the tape.

It is the kitchen! Our place is that small, that sink is the kitchen sink. The crockpot actually sees more use from me than her, I love throwing in something before work or before I go to bed, and having an awesome slow cooked meal waiting at either end of the day! I would rather a cord visible at all times vs the door open once a week to mix water. I think I understand what you're saying, is essentially creating a socket in the closet that could be powered by an extension cord inbetween the two if I wanted to use it? The building is a weird design, you would think they would have some sort of power source in there, as it's a coat closet, and it's huge. There is not even a light. The only GFI's in the apartment are the ones by the sinks, in the kitchen, and the bathroom.

I think I'll take my chances with the splicing of a powerstrip and putting it back together again, I'd rather not do any electrical work that might be potentially dangerous. I'll make sure the spliced end of the cord is in the closet, on a loop, and not on the kitchen side.

I think you made a wise choice.  I would worry that when the outlet is live, water would drip from the RO tubing if put into the same wall plate.  Also, the connections at the back of the outlet would have to be enclosed and protected somehow  Any other place would require a big hole.

Well, everything is slowly coming together. I finally replaced the filters in my RO/DI, and ended up running a powerstrip into the fish closet. What a difference that makes, even having a light in there is awesome.

I've had my MP40 turned off since I've had this tank up, or at least since I've added the JB40's. I figured I should either sell it, or hook it up. I hooked it up into the center of the tank on the back wall, and the additional flow seems to be a hit. If I lose power, the MP40 is the only thing hooked to a battery backup, so I figured a little insurance would be nice. Sometimes it's the little things.

Before I changed the water out, I fed pretty heavy all day, and scraped all the algae off the sides, which are starting to grow coraline at a rapid rate if I don't take care of it. I don't mind it growing on the back, or the overflows, but I've decided to do my part and keep the side clean. I really enjoy the view.

DSC_0416_zps30f28ccf.jpg

Normally that RBTA is blown up in the corner there, but I think it's pooping, pretty rude if you ask me

DSC_0411_zps5be8b7a2.jpg

DSC_0412_zps4c5eb188.jpg

If you know me, you know I cant resist a trachyphyllia, so here it is, a new addition.

DSC_0389_zpscd78a78f.jpg

I rationalized it by getting rid of my Aussie E, which was having a hard time staying in place for me, mostly because it was getting so big. Now I miss it, I will probably get another one.

The scolys are doing well. The one that is healing barely has any visible skeleton, and I saw it puff a mouth the other night after lights out, which means it is on it's way to a full recover. I have been turning my pumps off every night after the melanurus goes to bed and giving it a nice dose of mysis. I will probably switch to pellets once it gets a bit thicker.

DSC_0388_zps259b60e2.jpg

But really, the SPS was looking super colorful and the growth rate is almost silly, so I thought I'd share some pictures that I just snapped tonight:

DSC_0414_zps9b19c4c1.jpg

DSC_0373_zpse1f84dc0.jpg

Superman Milli from Frank, colored up nice

DSC_0376_zps4f652338.jpg

Rainbow Granulosa (this browned out originally in my tank, it is making a comeback quickly.)

DSC_0374_zps28646b33.jpg

Starburst Cap:

DSC_0379_zpsbeaadfd9.jpg

Evan, help me out, this is a crowd pleaser, and I don't know what it's called. I know it grows quick, and colored up as quickly as it grows, this was the underside

DSC_0386_zpsa1f93beb.jpg

Electric Blue Millie (I moved this around in so many spots, it prefers the lower light, and mid flow) and highlighter plating monti

DSC_0390_zpse74bc1e3.jpg

Leishmans Red Tabling:

DSC_0395_zpsbefbe3df.jpg

green A. austrea,

DSC_0396_zps6988ba72.jpg

Blue Echinata (I believe)

DSC_0397_zps36153cef.jpg

Any ID on this?

DSC_0398_zpsbad185db.jpg

Strawberry Shortcake, encrusting and growing nicely

DSC_0399_zps42819110.jpg

Bonzia

DSC_0400_zpsb594b271.jpg

So it's not acro, but got a nice shot of my new Armor Of God's

DSC_0401_zpsfe6f6c67.jpg

Rainbow Paly from Quantum, will see if it matches my other rainbows when it grows:

DSC_0402_zps5e28755f.jpg

blue A. formosa (staghorn) that won't stop growing now it's started

DSC_0405_zps9fc51cbf.jpg

And Rupert says "Hello."

DSC_0418_zps92edc478.jpg