Two tanks, One room

YHSublime

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice! Did you get the black BH from HD? Thought you mentioned it in your other thread...

Nope, it was a Quantum Reef get. It's nice to have them close. It's a place where everybody knows your name, and you always run into somebody you know. I also meet somebody new every time I go. Club Q I guess :P

I just wish I measured the drill bit before I went to town, 1.5 bulkheads on a 20 gallon seems overkill. So far this "I'm not going to spend much money" project has cost over a hundo. I'll be throwing a 150 Kessil over the tank instead of the current light fixture. I'm going to make enough hiding spots for Rupert to enjoy life out of the light, but I also would like to turn it into a grow out tank, and plan on seeing how he cooperates with frags.

WTG Isaac!  Can't wait to see this tank wet and Rupert enjoying his new home.  Are you going to put a piece of acrylic in the bottom of the tank?

It wont be long now! I just need a few more plumbing parts, and then it'll be ready to rock and roll. I want to take the time to clean it up and make that panel board for holding all the controllers that I mentioned earlier. That's really what is going to be the most time consuming. Of course if I end up staining it that will take some time and patience as well. I was not planning on putting an acrylic sheet on the bottom of the tank, I don't think I will have to worry... but maybe now that I just jinxed myself...

Well, he is a peacock right?  All the work you've put into his home, it would be a shame if he busted thru the bottom.  On the other hand, I'm not sure that a piece of acrylic would even matter, maybe Rob will chime in?

Well, he is a peacock right?  All the work you've put into his home, it would be a shame if he busted thru the bottom.  On the other hand, I'm not sure that a piece of acrylic would even matter, maybe Rob will chime in?

They can't break glass, another unicorn theory.

Edited by surf&turf

They can't break glass, another unicorn theory.

That is not entirely true.  While it is very rare, mantis's can and have broken glass....please read below:

They can, like mentioned, but the instances seem very rare. Perhaps it's worth a shot anyways, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Painted the exterior showing parts of the plumbing:

DSC_0399_zpsc497ed86.jpg

and while I was fiddling around old crazy eyes made an appearance. It looks like the pop eye is going down... but still visible. This fish is belongs in the looney bin, I wish he came out and around more, instead of creepy lurking in the corners:

DSC_0433_zps248f04b9.jpg

DSC_0441_zps19198e0d.jpg

DSC_0440_zps3c75bf0e.jpg

Then the camera was out and everybody thought it was feeding time:

DSC_0435_zps61021b77.jpg

and then I just snabbed some whatever shots

DSC_0419_zpsc66665f6.jpg

DSC_0417_zps41a4109f.jpg

DSC_0409_zps9654709e.jpg

DSC_0404_zps115f7dea.jpg

Oh right, the camera came out because I saw my RBTA stretched at a whopping 9"

DSC_0398_zpsd0612613.jpg

That is not entirely true.  While it is very rare, mantis's can and have broken glass....please read below:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18269

Maybe with a 6" specimen, but I don't think that would fit in a 20 gallon tank. The little guy's most people keep, I don't think so. Heater glass is a bit thinner than a 20 gallon tank.

Edited by surf&turf

Boys are gross. Bottle cap...geesh

I was just so pleased to see the skimmer doing work. It's really rewarding knowing that all that is no longer in my tank...

Also, the first picture posted above was for you, btw. It usually waits for the blues/lights out, and then it opens up like crazy. I really wish it would grow for me, at $60 a head and on the illegal import list, I should probably start spot feeding.

Well, it only took me 3 months, but I finally got Ruperts home setup. A lot of talk finally led to a really simple idea. A stand over the sump with a cover, enough to hold a 20 gallon.

I ended up drilling 2 holes through the top of the stand for 1.5" bulkheads and PVC to run through. I painted some of the pvc black, and then despite reading about how it was OK in a reef after it dryed, decided I would rather not kill my reef in one fell swoop should something not be kosher.

The drain and return just drop right down into the first chamber of my sump, which I have equipped with a mag 5 to return back to the 20 gallon. It's a little bit more noise, but oh well. I plan on adding some sand into the Mantis tank, and working on the aquascape to a degree. I plan on giving him enough space to build a nice burrow and I plan to grow zoas on the tops of the rocks, using a Kessil 150. I might put a frag rack in there, and see if he'll leave everything alone. So far he seems to be enjoing all the new space, and he's not very shy. He spends the day lounging around the rocks in akaward poses, and watching me around the living room. Sometimes he investigates his reflection with intensity.

DSC_0402_zps1d001c1f.jpg

I need to get some growth shot updates with my acros, I guess it's been a while since the new year, things are coming along nicely. I still have a bubble algae issue, so I bit the bullet and added 3 emerald crab. Found 2 today, 1 MIA, however, the 2 I spotted both were eating bubble algae like nobody's business, which means they've earned their keep. Here is a (what I thought funny) quick video of one of the emeralds I was just barley able to spot pulling piece after peice of BA into his mouth. With 3 of them, at that speed, I expect I will be good in a few months.

All the rock that I'm using in the mantis tank came from the sump, so it's cool to see some life on there. It was crawling with pods, as well as featherdusters, which are nice to see, as my copperband has had a go at all the ones in the DT.

DSC_0406_zps08f52779.jpg

This is Ruperts friend. It has not earned a nick name, as I didn't expect it to be around long with him. It had a quick go after my Skunks, and I am rather fond of my skunks. It was exiled into my sump, and then found its way into the chamber Rupert was living in. He is going to a new home next week for any of you that are worried about him.

DSC_0403_zpsf1b15dc3.jpg

Very nice! Can we get a FTS of the mantis tank?

Ahhhh. I knew this was going to come up! So it's just rock and glass right now, and I'm still painting the front of the stand cover, although I really like the open look.

The Mrs. plopped down on the couch the other day, and my tri-pod was lying on it and it's not so... balanced.... anymore. I'll try and get one soon, although it's just rock and glass at the moment.

i like these good times updates. that's great the emeralds are chowing down on the bubble. i know you've been after some kind of solution for a while. it'll be interesting to see if they really do make a noticeable/appreciable change in time. eager to see the action in person!

i like these good times updates. that's great the emeralds are chowing down on the bubble. i know you've been after some kind of solution for a while. it'll be interesting to see if they really do make a noticeable/appreciable change in time. eager to see the action in person!

Thanks! I also like good time updates, beats the pants off the bad times ones. I was just going through my old grow shots and am amazed at the way things are growing and filling in, I will be sure to do a growth update soon. The emeralds suprised me. I have heard great things about them, and terrible things about them. At this stage, they will hopefully be my Obi-Wan Kenobi (aka my only hope.)

In addition to bubble algae in the past I have witnessed them plucking polyps off of pocillopora and psammocora.  Just keep an eye on them, but if you have lots of bubble algae it's prob worth the risk to get rid of it.

In addition to bubble algae in the past I have witnessed them plucking polyps off of pocillopora and psammocora.  Just keep an eye on them, but if you have lots of bubble algae it's prob worth the risk to get rid of it.

I have both pocci and psammocora, but I have more bubble algae that either of those at the moment. The bubble algae is a problem that I hope they will slowly take care of, although this is my first experience with them, so I can't say yet how effective they will be. I have been on the fence for a long time, and if they start doing a good job, I will probably try a few more and then just put them in the sump when I'm done with them.

rupert is a lot cooler and larger than i expected. got a chance to stop by today and wasn't going to pass up saying hi to rupert. he was out and about taking in his new digs in style. snapped this photo of him before i had to head out and thought it turned out nicely and i would share...

1502251c-c895-47a5-b24f-61fc4a1e3d5d_zps

Puts my camera to shame!

Rupert will be embarassed that you caught him doing his Riverdance. Thanks for stoppin by, it was nice catching up!