Der ABT 156g Build

Der ABT

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree but Steve a bit hypocritical....lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Ok, so I'm a hypocrite......but all I have to show is a front pane covered in algae. I'm sure Evan has made much more progress on his tank than I have.

OK since steve has done an update i guess its my turn...not a ton to report

had alot of other things going on, family/house/car

IMG_20130510_194011_941_zps6528eeb3.jpg

Daughters 30g cube (that i took over as a sorta qt/transfer tank) is doing SUPRISINGLY well...LEDs are actually impressing me with the colors of the sps getting close to metal halide color, though i did loose one colony over the weekend while the rest of things are doing just fine....not happy with that.

i think she likes the tank

IMG_20130502_173911_418_zpsdcddb668.jpg

My tank has still just been cycling, i guess i wasnt feeding it enough to get a big amonia spike so there is still a little in there (think it was .2 according to sean....i didnt have any test kits and this is the only reason id need them so didnt feel like buying a kit but broke down and bought one)

but went thru a small bacterial bloom and now the water is crystal clear which seemed like a good sign.

Went out to Fins and Feathers and bought some new liverock....forgot how expesnive this stuff is but also got a great deal on some REALLLY NICE larger rocks....giong to combine them with some of my old rock after i clean it so unfortuately the aquascape wont be set for some time after the transfer is complete. Had a very hard time not buying any fish while i was out there he had some very nice looking fish, was asking show how much for this and that and sean just started laughing and said just let the tank settle then we can talk fish ....i feel like a beginner again wanting to throw 50 fish in the same day...

been bringing over a few smaller corals but have put that on hold till the amonia/cycle is finished.

got the frag tank ready to be set up (had to disassemble the stand to get it in the door which was fun.

Got a new VERY LARGE fish.....any boys go near it they are in trouble

IMG_20130504_183212_013_zpsba9ee9f4.jpg

attempt at a FFRS (full fish room shot)

IMG_20130504_183314_320_zpsf4b64b92.jpg

updated FTS

IMG_20130512_225343_994_zpsf1df7be3.jpg

IMG_20130512_225410_331_zps206ba2c2.jpg

otherwise not too much to report unfortunately....just running out of time usually....hopefully will actually get things transferred in the next montth, Got a race up in watkins glen at the end of the month so getting the car done is more important right now.

LETS GO CAPS

Just waiting for 8pm! (GO CAPS)

I've got some test kits around the corner if you need something for the interim. That's going to look really, REALLY nice once you get it filled out. I like the rock work, and hope to see some great results with my LED's as well!

Lookin good Evan, glad to see some corals in that bad boy. Good luck at the race.

(edited)

So ive been running my old trust ASM G3.....put my hand in the tank last night to do some temporary aquascaping...in the process nocked out my grounding probe....next thing i know the cut on my hand is screaming DANGER DANGER will robinson....

started unpluggin things (luckily only 3 things to unplug) ended up the sedra 5000 pump was leaking voltage....i have a spare pump housing but it was too late at night to hook it up so hopefully the spare doesnt have the same issue..

i was wondering why the zoa's werent opening....

the ASM is my backup skimmer as i have the AVAST cs1.5 but i put it on the old 90g and wont bring it over till things are transferred. Really glad i didnt put any fish in there yet...

Also had the pump on the skimmer i picked up for the qt tank fry a magnet but i think i have that resolved....no matter where you turn...haha

but i have put a bunch of food in there the past few days and am now getting 0 amonia so i think she is ready for fish/corals...will still wait a few days but signs point to good to go.

Another side note, my galaxy dual 250w ballas has been having issues so ill need to send that back for warranty work...could use one more spare ballast to get both lamps on the 90 running but of course only have one...Ugh...

so ifyou have a spare 250 you want to lend out for a few weeks while its fixed or a give away :laugh: let me know

Edited by Der ABT

Evan,

Out of town but I think i've got an extra 250 ballast in the garage I think. If you can't find one closer to you, just shoot me a text and I'll have the wife check the garage.

hey evan, i have some almost new 250w galaxy ballasts. you can borrow one for as long as you need. i dont know if you read my reply to your post in my build thread, but i was hoping to see your setup anyway and queried you about your availability. let me know and i can bring the ballast with me.

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

Not too much to update, a suprising number of zoa's made it thru the debocle but still lost some nice sps/lps/zoas....what can ya do....throw away the busted heater and stop doing stuff the the tank right before you leave for the day

so the 40g is running on its own, the 30g cube is doing AWESOME and is housing alot of sps frags right now and suprisingly the leds are doing a decent job on the colors....i need to get them plumbed together to help lesson the amount of work needed but i still need to get a pump for the euroreef80 i picked up (anyone got a sedra 2500 or 3500 they dont need or any other suggestions for a euroreef replacement pump...or jsut an impeller for a 2500)

90g is still on auto pilot but am planning on bringin the majority of it over the next few week and probably get it done fully after the next race (next week is VIR)....things are dirty but still growing well,

just got back from a race up in watkins so ive been dealing more with racing and homelife than the tank...but things are all looking suprisingly good,

i have 1 colony in the 156 along with some other frags to "test the water" and things are looking pretty good, not 90g good right now but i think they will get there once i get things moved in and the lighting schedule etc worked out (have reflectors now and i htink i blasted the one colony a little too much compared to the spider reflectors it was used to)

no pics right now but ill try to get one soon. hopefully with more corals in it

Edited by Der ABT

Good to hear so many things are doing well.  I wonder if you could use a Sicce pump for the skimmer...the nice thing is that Avast stocks them for the CS1 so it would help get it sooner.  Text me tonight and I'll look through my garage and see if I have an extra euroreef impeller.  I think I sent it with the skimmer I sold but not sure.

• 3 weeks later...

any update on the tanks? any recent pics? was going to pm you about your led layouts but your box is full. hope things continue to bounce back for you

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

well so far i got a few things moved over this weekend, thuoght it was gonna be a bit easier than it was

90g looks funny, right side column is taken down to just 3 rocks on the floor/bottom...fish are like SWIMMING ROOOOM

had a monti colony that i thought was on a rock, turns out it was touching both sides of the 90g as well as being on a rock so when i moved the base rock it stayed there,

my green tabler had growing into the frag rack next to it, and said monit colony, so i cause a huge mess.....which then made me rethink the all in one move after frag fest.

then i made a HUGE mistake....have (well had) a really nice ice fire echinata colony (the orig icefire) and when move some love rock on piece broke and fell...wait for it....right on the ice fire.....snapped the thing in two and make a few small frags (well some so small they wont survive unless im lucky)....i was ready to forget the mvoe and just leave it all there after that, it had the freaking best growth pattern ...oh well.

if anyone wants monti frags (i htink its flower petal) green with purple rim let me know, id be happy to get rid of some big chunks, free, minimal donation (5-10) bucks and have a few large pieces.....

probably shoulda done this prior to frag fest and then they coulda just been bagged haha.

somehow walked outta frag fest with only 2 frags...im so proud of myself....it was not easy...and Dr. Mac had some clams that were calling my name...ERC also had some squammies that werent the most coloful but the price couldnt be beat....somehow i stood my ground...

saw some faces i hadnt seen in a while and met some new ones. as always a nother great meeting....this clubs volunteers definatley work for their salary :laugh:

Edited by Der ABT

yeh i kinda forgot to take before and after pics....well pics at all.

i got there and went to take a pic and forgot the camera, then forgot to use the phone.

so ill snag some pics next time (hopefully one of these nights this week and maybe tonight. when i try to grab some more rocks to throw in the frag tank so the aiptasia open up and can be removed.

here are some quick phone pics, probably cant see much difference in the main, just added a rocks and a few smaller tester corals, (and one or two large tester colonies)

IMG_20130722_163231_511_zps5a100617.jpg

Dirty frag tank

IMG_20130722_154424_230_zpsdc62ccc1.jpg

Daughters cube

IMG_20130722_154410_075_zps087a14e1.jpg

looking good.  Looks like you made some progress.  Wish I had had time to swing over and help on sunday.  The scary thing is that your tank will likely look full from the get go with all the coral you still have to move over.

here are some quick phone pics, probably cant see much difference in the main, just added a rocks and a few smaller tester corals, (and one or two large tester colonies)

IMG_20130722_163231_511_zps5a100617.jpg

I don't know why and it's nothing against your very nice tank but my eyes seen to be drawn to these things in your picture:

1) 2 diapers

2) 1 item from the "medical kit"

3) A hair band

Haha...

Some may be tools of the trade. For examples, diapers are great for cleaning glass!

Is that a specimen container on the left? Is that the "medical kit" item you were talking about, Jack? Oh my. It's empty. Has Rob been here to help cycle the tank?  :lol2: