Der ABT 156g Build

Der ABT

Nicely done, Evan. I've framed interiors in both wood and steel. Both are easy. Steel is certainly lighter and easier to move into the basement. It's a little flimsy until you get drywall up. It's nice that it doesn't warp or twist which can be helpful when you're a taking on a drawn out basement finishing project as a weekend warrior. (I found that it didn't corrode in my last fish room either, so you're safe there.)

Some tips that I've found handy (if you've not discovered these already): For small jobs or odd cuts, you can cut the steel with a pair of snips. For larger jobs, you'll appreciate using a circular saw. Instead of one of those expensive sheet-steel blades, just take a cheap plywood blade and mount it backwards. It cuts through the steel studs and channels just as easily and lasts throughout most jobs. Also, if you're doing a lot of framing, they make a punch that you can use that speeds the job up, saving you from driving all those screws at joints.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good! Btw - I have a cheap wet saw for tiling work if you need it. Haven't used it in ages, but should still work ok

Edited by matt

No access from the front....wife didnt like the idea :angry: :wacko:

may change that down the road if i complain enough or get her away on a girls weekend and just hope she doesnt notice. Hopefully ill be ok without it. im sure i will be wanting them within a week or two of water in the tank but i can always add them if i need to.

tank is only 24in wide so it shouldnt be a problem reaching...i also plan a very minimalist rockwork to leave alot of swimming/grow out room and to make it easier to scrape/reach the front of the tank from the back.

Snips were used to remove the studs from the wall, used my wheel cutter to cut the track to length....just a general cutting wheel and a triangle....easy enough.... My only real complaint is when you drill something into them they do not catch like wood, yes they catch but its REALLY easy to pull the threads thru...then a bigger screw thread later its ok but still a pain comparitively. To create a wall they are MUCH easier to use. to frame out something after they are already in i would prefer wood but thats just me.

I may hit you up Matt...but we shall see.

Really i just want to get the tank in and leveled so i can start plumbing stuff and then finally get the transfer done, parents would like their laundry room back.

90g is doing very good at least, not really doing water changes or anything...its REALLLY dirty but things are growing, alk is stable and everything that had issues with the alk swings are coloring back up.

decided to give the Avast CS-1.5 a shot, finished the recirc mod and a few of the suggested mods from Robs thread....that thing kicks some but. ASM G-3 it replaced is a great skimmer and was doing fine but with the cs-1 i have the skimmate locker hooked up so i dont have to worry about it as much.....also had one of my sedra's stop working for a few days when the enkamat let go, put some new enkamat in but figured why not just take it out and let the cs-1 break in while im there....this way i can also bring over the ASM to get the holding tank ready for whenver i start the painful transfer of corals....ugh.

No worries, try the wood first and let me know if you want to borrow the wet saw later.

I put a pass-through in my kitchen last year and I like how that turned out with just wood vs stone. I may upgrade to match when I replace kitchen counter tops, but really like the white wood and could see leaving it as is. Sounds like you could get er done with wood quickly....not a bad thing given the rest of the to-do list

Got a little more done last night, finished up mudding and the last drywall pieces on the fish room side....didnt have any seam tape and the store was closed so its not the best looking job but it will work......just need to primer and paint and trim (hopefully tonight or tomorrow)

2013-01-22_23-12-44_423.jpg

2013-01-22_23-41-15_552.jpg

2013-01-22_23-41-48_844.jpg

I think its actually coming out very nicely so far.....test fit on the couch is about perfect height (hoepfully we dont change couches ha)...trim should match the door moulding unless i decide to change it up a little.

then i can get the tank in and shim it, hopefully it is level with the window haha.

then its time to run some wiring and work out the lighting (hood or no hood etc), overflow, plumbing, etc etc not enough time in my life...who woulda thought it takes so much....so much easier to just set a tank up rather than plan and build out a fishroom....

Fingers crossed ill have a new addition to the family VERY SOON (hopefully before next wednesday) and then can have a double mermaid shot.

I know you've probably heard this before, but do yourself a favor........put in a front access. I wasn't going to do it but I'm really happy I did. Matter of fact, I use the front access much more than going in from the rear (no jokes please). :lol:

Well got some more done, finished up the trim and some painting...still need to do a last coat but i think it looks nice enough for me.

2013-01-25_19-55-52_631.jpg

2013-01-26_00-43-31_652.jpg

Inlaws came over to lend a hand.....much easier with a hand truck... took a quick photo break

2013-01-26_15-25-14_676.jpg

whats that you say.......

ITS IN!!!!!!!

2013-01-26_15-43-37_786.jpg

2013-01-26_15-43-51_848.jpg

2013-01-26_15-43-45_433.jpg

Still need to cover the bottom and sides but otherwise i think its gonna look great....but i can worry about the finishing touches later...need to get started leveling, plumbing, electrical...get ready for race at Sebring (if the baby doesnt come) Baby, etc etc......

hopefully there will be one or two more progress shots before the baby comes....

• 1 month later...
(edited)

well finally got some updates....have had some help from family with the new baby thats given me some time to do some work...no water yet but very close and hopefully this weekend if not next week.

made an external overflow...took two tries...first one i dont know what i was thinking but made it waaay too shallow.

getting the overflow together (yes the silicon isnt that pretty looking but for a first time im happy.

2013-02-25_13-43-42_759_zpsb6e359a9.jpg

setting up on the tank

2013-03-01_22-14-29_615_zps73e14221.jpg

she is on

2013-03-02_13-51-42_749_zps8eb611f2.jpg

stand repainted ready for sump

2013-03-02_13-51-18_703_zps6dc8781f.jpg

Sump is in place (well its probably place)

2013-03-02_17-05-53_525_zpsedf8fbaa.jpg

still thinking of removing that board...will have to at least move it over for the overflow but not sure yet.

Decided to pain the bottom white..had to flip the tank...this thing is HEAVY

2013-03-02_13-51-14_283_zpseea536dc.jpg

finished product

2013-03-02_17-52-08_94_zpsa7f4e149.jpg

hopefully more update to come tomorrow...trying to finish electrical. lights, plumbing, then water if im lucky.going to get it set up kinda temporarily at first...mag 9 which will be swapped out for someting else eventually...closed loop will be done eventually as well (just have it plugged right now. then comes the transfer fun....ugh

oh yeh internal overflow hopefuly comes on monday or tuesday

Edited by Der ABT

Man, haven't been following for a while but this looks fantastic! Can't believe you've made so much headway with a new baby. You still have the 90 up and running I'm guessing?

90g is on auto pilot at the parents....thank fully they havent thrown in laundry detergent or posted an eviction notice yet.

I havent done a water change since octoberish....things are pretty good but definately dirty....things are still growing and almost everything is happy unless its towards the bottom of the tank as the light is getting well dim down low from growth up top...not a bad thing.

was just going to reuse water but its so dirty i dont think its a good idea...so im goign to use some water to help with the cycle....will be dipping all corals just in case (though there hasnt been anything added to that tank in a while now) but might as well be safe.

will reuse some of the rock...goign to be alot less rockwork in this tank....been diggin the minimalist approach...hope to do a slow transfer and bring over a few pieces at a time until im sure they are all doing good.

let me know if you need any help when it comes time. I also nearly completely emptied my frag tank of fish that eat coral so i've got space if you want to store some frags/colonies between the transfer.

(edited)

Nice Evan. Glad to see you got the external overflow done.

For the closed loop, I would use the existing bottom holes for the return and drill one or two other holes on the back glass for the intake. If the intake gets clogged you want to be able to get to it. Just my $.02 from personal experience.

Keep the pics coming!

Edited by steveoutlaw

90g is on auto pilot at the parents....thank fully they havent thrown in laundry detergent or posted an eviction notice yet.

Had a good laugh at the laundry detergent.

When you do the move, let me know, I'd be willing to help. Also, your new setup is going to be fantastic, Cant wait to see it wet!

Nice job with the external overflow. This is a great build. Where did you get the materials for the overflow?

Looks awesome! FWIW I don't have access from the front on my in wall and I don't miss it. I've never once said, "If only I could go through the front. I have three side access from the fish room and it works great.

Plus I love the clean look of the front.

Nice progress on the build. Like Sharkey18 I don't miss the front access either. Having it completely closed off does help keep the noise, light, and smell in the fish room and not in the living space.