Der ABT 156g Build

Der ABT

Is that a specimen container on the left? Is that the "medical kit" item you were talking about, Jack? Oh my. It's empty. Has Rob been here to help cycle the tank?  :lol2:

Medical kit:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2983674&CAWELAID=146749250&cagpspn=pla&pla=plat&camp=PLAPPC-_-PID4382469&KPID=4382469

The yellow "scope" on the right side of the picture. My daughter has one too...Sorry to muck up your thread but thought it was funny.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

oh geez, thats just a water bottle on the left,

its Gripewater in the blue bottle (aka gas med that works for the baby), baby monitor, rechargeable batteries, hairtie, diapers for da baby not the tank, and my daughters Otoscope...oh yeh i went technical.

Tom your too funny.

cant tell you how many times ive asked not to have it used for storage, espeically drinks and the drink rings.....but what can ya do, im guilty of puttin stuff on there from time to time.

here are a few pics for proof that work is being done on the 90...and yes its dirty and its a cell pic so...right side column is DOWN...still ahve alotta corals on the ground now and a coupel colonies to move but thats the most light the bottom of the tank has seen in YEARS.

IMG_20130722_192142_391_zps764ce18f.jpg

some of whats left

IMG_20130722_192132_954_zps15dfd571.jpg

where the flash is the rock stops and the corals are out of the water from the growth.

IMG_20130722_192357_721_zps5ed9ffe1.jpg

IMG_20130722_192418_517_zps4bb4bcd2.jpg

probly shoulda cleaned the glass first...but that takes work

IMG_20130722_192700_473_zpsa09c5680.jpg

Edited by Der ABT

• 2 weeks later...

alright finally caught the pair of clowns from my 90g...too smart..they would hid in the colonies where i couldnt get to them.

here are some cell phone pics so corals are a little off.

IMG_20130804_202747_569_zps1d70bece.jpg

corals are a little pale but coming back (got fried under the new reflector i think.

Dirty pic of right side

IMG_20130805_171036_729_zpse34b7c83.jpg

Still need to catch the lone tang....may have to take all the corals out of the 90 first the way he is hiding. still have alot to transfer but need to get the alk stable in the new tank. finally brought the checker over and tested (probalby shoulda done this a while ago) but its running at 6 dkh...ugh going to bring it up to 9 and then dose until the 90 is torn down and i bring over the calcium reactor.... if i get lucky kalk will keep up with the demand but we shall see. also need to check out my Ca..hopefully its ok and i can just dose some baked baking soda.

figured id share another pic

IMG_20130805_120304_389_zps1e1e0e4b.jpg

Otherwise not too much going on, spent alotta time on the house this weekend so didnt get much done on the transfer....once i get the alk more to my liking ill be bringing more stuff over and eventually getting the aquascaping done...looks ok temporarily

seeing the clowns in there makes me want to get more fish in soon, just trying to bide my time and get the transfer, aquascap and coral placement done first.

looking good indeed - good luck sir!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

I will be picking up Jans 156 Oceanic hope to drill it also Marco

• 1 month later...

Yes i do but without pics

did a bunch of work this weekend and got about 80% of the corals brought over, have 1/2 the liverock transferred and some of the equipment,

of course my ph probe died in transit so i have to get a new one before i put up my carx again.

so far the corals are looking fine, i think i have 2 colonies that dont look like they will make it (had a co2 canister run out while not paying attention to the 90g so the alk dropped WAAAY down for about a week  and of course they are nice ones (shades of fall and ultimates rainbow)

have done some trades for fish and just took some out of qt with one left to take out (mainly clowns to make some pairs)

DOSING - why would anyone do this...its soo annoying..i see why people spend the rediculous amount of money for dosing pumps....its driving me nuts so i guess i have to sell some corals and buy another pump cause id go nuts having to do this manually. i guess once you get it settled right its not that bad but ugh.

still have a few large colonies, clam, etc to bring over but im hoping to get it done either this weekend or beginning of october cause i get VERY busy for the next two weeks.

going to have to sell off some corals as well, i dont have room...not sure how but im already outta room in the 156 (granted i need to finish the aquascape but i had no idea i could fill up a 156 from a 90g so quickly...

also looked in my garage and have a bunch of stuff i need to get out of there as well so ill probalby do a huge garage sale..not sure how i got this much stuff...its definately borderline hoarding.

Cant really buy any fish until i do get some stuff sold (dang children are expensive and took all of my fish budget for dance classes.....arent fish more important haha) so until i get some stuff sold i cant buy any fish....ugh. so right now the tanks inhabitants will stay as is.

Mimic tang

pair of clowns

Royal Gramma (daughter had to have a purple fish and now is insisting on a purple tang)

Melanospilos angel (was a pair till one got hurt and then the other tried to kill it so its in the frag tank)

ill try to get some pics but no promises.

I need fish too.  darn KID$!  It's hockey season for my bo,y so I feel your pain.  $4,000+ for a 12yr old to play a sport is insane, only thing is, I think I enjoy watching as much as he enjoys playing.

Did you not dose on any of your other tanks? I have never dosed either, and my SPS is looking really good, encrusting, and growing, but I'm wondering if I will find I have a need for it down the line? You obviously have way more SPS pieces than I think I'll ever have before we find a spot we will be sticking in for a bit (like forever hopefully...) I have often considered just LPS.

well i have 4 systems right now (well 1 is the 90 so i guess 3)

ive use a kalk reactor for top up in conjunction with a Ca RX....but i dont have 3 carx's...before it was all 1 system making life easy

when i didnt have as much sps i would just do kalk and frequent water changes....but with about 240ish gallons plus the 90g im not able to keep up wtih waterchanges as much as id like. then when i started needing more i went straight to a CaRX and life was GREAT...would check alk ever two weeks or so and adjust the drip or the ph and that was it for about 2 years.

so the 30g is PACKED wtih sps and a clam, the 40g has a bunch of zoa's and some sps as well....plan is to plumb those two together and possibly into the main tank as well to make one system and then just have a shut off valve for when i need a qt tank for corals and start dosing that tank....but this is all future plans.

im trying to get the 30g and 40 plumbed together so i would just be dosing one system but thats gonna be a project because of the location. so it would be two systems, main display and frag/daughters tank.

30g is something like 100-120ml a day for alk/ca....rediculous...but still getting it settled in, 40g is about the same.

as usual too many options not enough time to really do what i want

proof of some work being done...corals have just been laid in there, along with the rockwork

still have a bunch go get over here, 3 or 4 large colonies and tehn probalby 20-30 frags...i dont know where they all came from haha. most of the frags that have already been brought over are in the daughter 30g or the 40g frag tank.

my hope was to keep a frag of everrything i REALLY wanted in each tank, so i have 3 frags of the "special" corals just in case something happens...so far its been pretty good, i little bleaching here and there but for the most part everything is adjusting well.

moral of the story is...dont hoard .....goign to be VERY busy next two weeks so things will have to wait again.

Sorry crappy cell pics...gigantic monti caps in the middle will be gone when i have the chance

IMG_20130918_221500_874_zpsca8b806b.jpg

this right side below is close to how i want the rock structures but will add a little to it

IMG_20130918_221531_609_zps3b69b532.jpg

im really liking this guy, color is actually a lavender

IMG_20130918_221540_629_zpsb826e0c5.jpg

IMG_20130918_221554_765_zps678661f0.jpg

this left  side above is going to be completely redone plan is to hhave a swimming channel down the middle of the tank with some of the larger efflo's giving it some shade

Zoa teaser....and on of the very few frags of my rainbow acro that are bouncing back SLOWLY. these are in the 30g

IMG_5294_zps735745e2.jpg

more to come in about 3 weeks time....if im lucky that will be the last of the transfer

Edited by Der ABT

Me likes these two.  Alot.

im really liking this guy, color is actually a lavender

IMG_20130918_221540_629_zpsb826e0c5.jpg

Zoa teaser....and on of the very few frags of my rainbow acro that are bouncing back SLOWLY. these are in the 30g

IMG_5294_zps735745e2.jpg

Those are space monsters......freaking sweet eh? Colors aren't as washed out in person

I like them a lot. I got the pink elephants, which are the exact opposite color scheme. Yep... I need to get over there...

Edited by trockafella

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

well i took a little wamas Hiatus....with the shutdown/kids/tank/house/racing etc i needed to spend tiem elsewhere....not to mention i was looking at for sale threads that i have NO NEED to look at...and there was a little bit of drama going around as well (thuogh i found that funny)

anyways, the 156 was loosing some color /browning cause i couldnt keep up with the dosing it needed by hand...so i brought the CARx over and things have already starting looking better.

the smaller tanks (40g and 30g) are doing Really well and pretty much all colors are coming back and my emergency frags are doing really well so im happy with this....

lost 1 fish (daughters fire fish jumped) havent told her yet but its one of her favorites so will have to tell her soon so she can decide if she wants another or not.

I have finally completed the transfer well 99.9%...basically have a few rocks/equipment/tank and one monti colony to bring over and my parents will probably have a party...

also have about 400000 columbelid snails to try and catch as well.

Then i just need to bring the last 2 T5s over to mount on the 156 and the transfer will actually be complete.

So i really ran out of room in the 156 so i need to get the remaining rocks and finish building my structure so i can mount some of the frags finally and then i shuold be able to fit everything i want in there....oh yeh after i get rid of a bunch too...

No pics right now, hopefully ill have time tonight to take some.

I need to start getting some fish as there is just not enough movement in the tank and im afraid the fish in there will get too territorial when i start adding (may be too late for this)

but with the shutdown, kids activities etc....the fish budget well it disappeared....so sad to say im actually sitting with 50 bucks in the fish budget......and a nice list of fish i want...doesnt work well and will have to get rid of some stuff so i can get the fish i want without the wife killing me.

Transferring is SUCH a pain....its rediculous how much stuff i had....i could have done it alot faster but when i only have a few hours at a time it just wasnt working well. im glad i took things slowly as i have had minimal loses....but man...slow probably isnt the right word.

Speaking of pink elephants i need to figure out where mine went....hmmm.

Nope those arent bowsers, just CAR or sunnyD

Edited by Der ABT

Get those pics up that I may copy cat for my 156 build , and some of those frags would even make it sweeter.