Mike's 115gal tank

(edited)

Here is the beginning of my new build...

115gal tank 55"x22"x22". (by NAGA)

34" steel stand.

Reefoctopus 200 w/ BB3000 pump.

6 Bulb 54w T5's.

7436698998_d018cb76d8_o.jpg

20120624_190448 by mteske1, on Flickr

7436698574_a473999fd6_o.jpg

tank by mteske1, on Flickr

7436698512_5a68624d8f_o.jpg

tanksump by mteske1, on Flickr

7436698684_0be4c4196c_o.jpg

sump by mteske1, on Flickr

7436698808_054b52eeb0_o.jpg

stand by mteske1, on Flickr

7436698450_e6645c8be6_o.jpg

vinyl by mteske1, on Flickr

7436698894_06dcfc760c_o.jpg

background by mteske1, on Flickr

Too be continued...

Edited by BowieReefer84

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice looking tank! very "unique" trim all around.

Thanks! I really like the trim. I hate the standard black top and bottom trim.

Looks so awesome.

Thank you! Little smaller than yours though!

Very pretty :)

black silicone? do you just hate the look of older silicone?

Black silicone is sexy?

Very sexy tank. Remind me, is it glass or acrylic?

Tank is 1/2" glass on sides/bottom. Top brace is acrylic. At 22" rimless would have been fine, but I really like this look a lot better.

Also, overflow is drilled for three 1" drains.

Looking good! Following along!

Thanks!

ooooo it's so pretty!

Congrats on the new tank. Can't wait to see it filled up.

Goal to get er filled is end of August. Want to get it all planned out before water touches anything. Still some things I need to figure out. Buying a place to put it being at the top of the list.

Like the look.

Thanks, me too. Talking about the size was one thing, but in person it looks much larger than I was expecting. It's definately an upgrade from the previous two 29gal setups I had.

(edited)

Looks like Jeff did a great job on that tank. What kind of corals are you going for?

Not sure. Maybe fowlr, or softies, or sps? Such a tough call! One thing for sure. No LPS and no mixed reef.

Edited by BowieReefer84

Not sure. Maybe fowlr, or softies, or sps? Such a tough call! One thing for sure. No LPS and no mixed reef.

Why no mixed reef?

Yea, can be a PIA trying to get good flow to the SPS, but not too much to the LPS. Should look awesome whatever you decide to do.

Why no mixed reef?

It'll happen in due time.. Mike will eventually crack and give in to it. Cant fight the addiction forever.. Its a shame its not going to be a reef tank, the 29 was awesome and had lots of success..

<br /><br />

<br />

It'll happen in due time.. Mike will eventually crack and give in to it. Cant fight the addiction forever.. Its a shame its not going to be a reef tank, the 29 was awesome and had lots of success..<br />

<br /><br /><br />

Who knows. Anything is possible at this point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Mike - Haven't really been on here like I should so this will help me get going again. Looking forward to how you are going to proceed. Tank looks sweet!

Mike - Haven't really been on here like I should so this will help me get going again. Looking forward to how you are going to proceed. Tank looks sweet!

Thanks Henry. Should be fun.

If I were to go with Tunze power heads, and only wanted two what would everyone recommend?

I was thinking the wavecontroller 7092 with a pair of 6095's. Also, a pair of 6045's to hit any dead spots. This would be less than two MP40's, and I feel I could get better flow throughout the entire tank. 7,396gph/$780 total with the Tunze vs 6,400gph/$930 with vortech (and a lot more noise).

Thoughts?

I don't really want vortechs, and would like someone to back the Tunze idea. biggrin.gif

I think that the Tunze's would be perfect for your tank. One thought...what about doing a tunze wavebox on one end and a 6095 on the other end? that would likely eliminate any dead spots and cost less then what you were doing. Also, once you give in and make it a mixed reef, you'll be set :)

I think that the Tunze's would be perfect for your tank. One thought...what about doing a tunze wavebox on one end and a 6095 on the other end? that would likely eliminate any dead spots and cost less then what you were doing. Also, once you give in and make it a mixed reef, you'll be set :)

I was watching some videos of the wave box, looks like a really nice motion. Can you explain to me how they work. Is other supplemention (other powerheads) needed as well.? Where do you normally put one on a tank, ie middle, sides, corner.?