Mike's 115gal tank

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what kind of drivers and fan are you using for your led setup?

I don't know. Someone else built this unit. I think its a lap top power supply or something? Sorry I don't have more info. I am not very handy with electronics.

Looks great! Plenty of light in that little box for your FO tank!

Yes, more than enough light in my wifes opinion... hahaha

So, to keep an accurate record I added two fish over the weekend (yea, much sooner than December). A kole tang and flame angel I picked up from Quantum Reefs. Nitrates are around 20, and I am continuing with the MB7 dosing.

I will run the lights 4 hours a day to start and see if algae starts growing. The tank has been dark up until this weekend.

Hopefully this week or next weekend I will start with the vinegar dosing, and get the skimmer dialed in to start pulling out junk.

2 fish already!? including a TANG?! has your tank even fully cycled yet???

(sorry, I had too) laugh.gif

No worries Ryan. Like you I will be honest, and hope things work out. A kole tang is one of the smallest tangs... Not like I put a naso in there.

And yes, it is cycled. Ammonia and Nitrite both peaked and dropped to zero resulting in nitrates around 20. I think the MB7 helped a lot.

Congrats on the new fish! Now if only you had added 17 more at the same time!! How about some pics of the fish?

There are those 3 black mollies in there too... SO, really I only need to add 14 more ;)

I'll try to get some pictures, but under the led it is hard.

You added some mollies too.? I always get a kick out of seeing them at Robs.. I know how hard it is to stare at an empty tank, empty with no water isnt so bad.

Yea, if they start having babies it is free food... I hear they eat algae as well, plus they stay small and can get in the nooks and crannies. b/t the tang and mollies that should be good for herbivores.

Congrats on the new fish! Now if only you had added 17 more at the same time!! How about some pics of the fish?

I don't like to make people wait months for pictures like that guy on the forums trying to get freebies right now. Here are some photos, and a video as well.

8114558780_fef9bd0f52_c.jpg

P1020699 by mteske1, on Flickr

8114559488_dcbf8a2853_c.jpg

P1020678 by mteske1, on Flickr

8114550587_71ac27fc70_c.jpg

P1020686 by mteske1, on Flickr

8114550119_01756bf375_c.jpg

P1020698 by mteske1, on Flickr

VIDEO

P1020714

Now thats funny. I have 17 fish coming on Thursday from Quantum as my first fist. LOL

Now thats funny. I have 17 fish coming on Thursday from Quantum as my first fist. LOL

17 fish, really?

Edited by epleeds

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have a while ahead looking at empty tank. Guess I rushed addition of fish, and now tank is running fallow.

I decided to sound insulate the stand some once I hooked up the skimmer. Not as quiet as I would have liked, but I am kind of ocd about those things. The skimmer is pulling stuff out, and there are not even any fish in the tank right now. I have had the skimmer running about a week, and emptied it a couple times already.

8156231154_6816572f66_c.jpg

sound foam by mteske1, on Flickr

8156199399_61a7708f23_c.jpg

skimmate by mteske1, on Flickr

Did the fish die? What happened? ICK?

They died. The mollies died too... I didn't QT, and not really sure to be honest. I think it was ICK, but they died pretty fast if it was ick. Also, they all died the same day. O well.

If it was that fast bro, always could have been the dreaded velvet. Dis they look like they had a coating of fine white specs? Like they were coated in powder sugar?

Regardless, sorry to here this man. I think u approaching it the right way though...take the time u have fallow to fix those little quirks that annoy u with ur system.

Good luck man...its gonna be beautiful, just take a little longer to get there.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

If it was that fast bro, always could have been the dreaded velvet. Dis they look like they had a coating of fine white specs? Like they were coated in powder sugar?

Regardless, sorry to here this man. I think u approaching it the right way though...take the time u have fallow to fix those little quirks that annoy u with ur system.

Good luck man...its gonna be beautiful, just take a little longer to get there.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Good to see you on the boards Scott.

Yes, the tang and flame had the white dots. However, the mollies were more of a fuzzy white than dots.

I plan to continue ghost feeding the tank, and letting the cycle keep going. Some diatoms have popped up in the past few days. I have still yet to perform a water change, so that will be on the to do list as well.

You should post up some pictures of your build on here. This really is a great group and there is tons of knowledge. I would surely have been out of the hobby by now without wamas.