Mike's 115gal tank

basically, it's a powerhead that oscillates a certain frequency so the box empties at a point where it adds to the sine wave and generates the wave action. It's really a different motion then anything else on the market and works really well for "lifting" things off the bottom and putting them into the water column. Also really makes the softies/lps look great. You usually want to orient it along the long axis of the tank as the old waveboxes needed a minimum of 4 ft to get a good wave. I had mine on the back of the tank and still got a decent wave. I pulled mine since I didn't like the size it took up but I think I'll put it back in. There is also a nanowavebox but I haven't used that.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I was looking at the nano wavebox. Pretty slim design, and I love the flow motion it makes. Might just look into one down the road.

Yea, the nano version would probably be best for your tank since it is on the smaller side...

Mike, I was away on vacation but I am backing your Tunze idea. I have had both and I like the lack of noise the Tunze brings! I am running two 6055's and two 6105's and they are quieter than my two MP10's that I can hear upstairs. With the new silencer pads you hardly notice they are on. The skimmer looks nice. You are going to love the bubble blaster pump as they are so silent.

Mike, I was away on vacation but I am backing your Tunze idea. I have had both and I like the lack of noise the Tunze brings! I am running two 6055's and two 6105's and they are quieter than my two MP10's that I can hear upstairs. With the new silencer pads you hardly notice they are on. The skimmer looks nice. You are going to love the bubble blaster pump as they are so silent.

Yea, I need to build a silencer for the airline. The previous owner tapped the pvc pipe and put it on there... NO idea why. I am going to just use some scrap PVC to make a diy air silencer.

Here is a picture of it in the sump fitting just right. The first chamber will be empty and the third will have the return pump. No macro algae or reactors. I will use gfo and carbon in mesh bags in the first chamber if I need to. Will make a eggcrate ledge or something.

7529557108_d61201cff0_o.jpg

skimmer,sump by mteske1, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working with Vince from Quantum Reefs putting together a list of everything else I need. Should have all the equipment by the 2nd week in August (when I asked for it to be ready), and he has been exceptional to deal with in every aspect.

Going to start with two Tunze 6095's on a 7092. If I decide I want more flow I could add a couple Tunze nanos in the future.

Hoping to do the aquascape the first week of august. I am going to let the tank go 2-3 months before adding any fish. I want it rock solid stable first.

Stocking list will be VERY close if not exactly the following:

1. Blue Jaw Trigger

2. Dogface Puffer

3. Auriga Butterfly

4. Aussie Tusk

5. Kole Yellow Eye Tang

I am getting really impatient as well...

i take it this is going to be a fish only due to your fish choices.

You take it right.

Due to wanting larger fish and not having an infinite budget this is the best route for me to take. One thing is sure, I will enjoy only testing nitrates!

(edited)

Sweet looking tank! What kind of corals are going in?

He say's fish only for now, just give it time. lol

Edited by surf&turf

Sweet looking tank! What kind of corals are going in?

IF I add any it would be blue and red mushrooms with GSP.

He say's fish only for now, just give it time. lol

I like fish tanks to relax by looking at them. Some corals are just too much of a pita, and I stress over them. That is not fun to me.

Looks like things are coming along nicely Mike.

Thanks Henry.

Picked up a bottle of Lanthanum Chloride to cure my dryrock. I am going to run it in some water with a heater and powerhead, and do a couple 100% water changes. If anyone in the area needs any let me know. I am pretty sure this is a lifetime supply...

7633114434_444910d89f_o.jpg

lanth chloride by mteske1, on Flickr

I am curious about what you mean by "cure". I have some what used to be my live rock from before I moved. I bleached it a couple of years ago to kill off any live matter on it before packing it away. Now I am getting ready to use it again and have had it in fresh water for about 2 weeks. I guess I am asking what is the goal here? For me, it is to remove the bleach.

Dave

Picked up a bottle of Lanthanum Chloride to cure my dryrock. I am going to run it in some water with a heater and powerhead, and do a couple 100% water changes. If anyone in the area needs any let me know. I am pretty sure this is a lifetime supply...

7633114434_444910d89f_o.jpg

lanth chloride by mteske1, on Flickr

Thanks, I was not aware there would be phospates on the rock. When you cycle, are you cycling with fish in the tank or some other method? I have heard of people simply putting some shrimp shells/carcases and monitoring ammonia.

btw, the tank looks great.

Well, my thought is using the lanth chloride to remove any excess phosphate (cure) before starting the cycle (adding ammonia).

Edited by stankyd

• 2 weeks later...

Equipment is all in hand thanks to Quantum Reefs. Now I just need to plumb the tank and aquascape the rocks.

I picked up two Tunze 6095's and a 7092 wavecontroller, Eheim 1262 return pump, Jager heaters, BRS 75gpd ro/di, and a doser for vinegar, and other misc stuff.

(edited)

I picked up some 5/8" hardwood 5ply plywood. I think it was birch or maple... Anyways, it is cut to size and ready for painting.

7802612872_4dcd09c208_b.jpg

stand skin by mteske1, on Flickr

I am going to use these (http://www.kjmagneti...822CS-S&cat=173) to attach it to the stand. The bottom of the stand will be resting on the carpet, so I will just put a row of magnets across the top of the skin to hold it firmly in place. I don't expect any issues.

I just need to get some black paint now. The stand will be very plain, but clean. I am going to put a single trim ring around the bottom.

The top of the stand has a piece of 1/2" foam from lowes.

Edited by BowieReefer84