Worst day as an aquarist ever...

davelin315

Sorry to hear about this. I know how tough it is. We once lost most of our tank to heat when our A/C went out in the summer. It was pretty awful but on a much smaller scale than what you are experiencing so I can only imagine.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man.... :angry: many condolences to you and the family...not much else to say but keep your head up.....as rob said if you need help post up!

any chance something from the kids was dropped in the tank/ any new cleaners etc....

wish there was a way to get the water tested for stuff like this so you could get some closure.

Ill have some corals for you once it gets going again!!!!!!

For those that had not been to Dave's house, he had some beautiful, large specimens. This really is a significant loss for us all.

Dave, let me know if there's anything I can do to help. You know where to find me.

Pass on the club's condolences to J and the kids. Hang in there.

Sorry for your loss Dave.......I know it sucks when you lose a fish that you are attached too......I can't imagine losing a bunch all at once like that.....

Darren

Jeez Dave, soory I am reading this so late. If there is anything you need, lmk. Went through something similar a while back, couldn't stop the fish from dropping like flies. I too let things slide until I added that straw that broke the back.

So so sorry Dave. What a terrible loss.

I'd be willing to come help with the cleanup and rebuild anytime.

I lost every single thing in my 120 last June and honestly one of the hardest parts was after days of trying to save stuff, having to face the cleanup.

Let me know if you need any help.

Laura

So sorry for your loss! It is hard to help the kids with losses like this and cope with your own feelings. Hang in there.

Very sorry to hear Dave. I too have been through an epidemic like that, but not that kind of list. Just like all the others, if there is anything you need when you start up Id be happy to help. A great Trockism is needed.. "Its not about rising to the top, but falling down and being able to rise again". And im sure you will, especially with the support youve got here.

As others have said, it's just brutal to watch it all happen and despite your best efforts not be able to stop the slide. Ugh... I feel for you. It's heartbreaking. :(

I know you know how to repair things, and if you can muster the strength to stick with it, I'm confident you can eventually have things up and running again.

Take care,

Mike

Dang Dave, so sorry to here this! Let me know if you need help rebuilding!

-Anthony

That sucks really bad, Dave.

FWIW (which is probably nothing or less than nothing), in all my years I have never QT-ed a fish, and I shop almost exclusively (intentionally) at places that do not QT. I have never had a multi-death.

I find myself wondering if it is possible your losses were caused by something unrelated to the new fish (although that does seem like a reasonable hypothesis, we should keep in mind it is not "certain"). Random stuff can happen, especially with kids (and medication as well in my opinion but not experience)

Hope you get back on your feet ASAP.

tim

I do not quarantine fish either? Why.... Its kind of a hastle to have a seperate tank just for that is basically what it comes down to and I dont feel like spending the money for an additional tank or tanks.

Sucks you lost so many fish though. Friend of mine had something similar happen years ago..... turned out his youngest kid dumped chemicals in the water because he seen his Dad do it and figured it was ok. Wrong-O. Not saying thats what happend here, I'm just saying.

(edited)

It's interesting you say this but I was thinking more in line with opportunistic organisms. My losses weren't from lack of QT but rather from neglect. Something grew and infected every fish. Dave mentioned he didn't pay attention to the tank for about a week and that made me wonder; could something that was laying dormant or being kept in check start to multiply? The introduction of the new fish is likely but the fact that they all had different signs and symptoms and some none at all makes me wonder. This is where I was racking my brain day and night when I had my losses. All kinds of organisms live in our tanks. Each keeping the other in check. When homeostasis is out of whack all the opportunistic organisms take over. Whatever the cause, it hurts.

That sucks really bad, Dave.

FWIW (which is probably nothing or less than nothing), in all my years I have never QT-ed a fish, and I shop almost exclusively (intentionally) at places that do not QT. I have never had a multi-death.

I find myself wondering if it is possible your losses were caused by something unrelated to the new fish (although that does seem like a reasonable hypothesis, we should keep in mind it is not "certain"). Random stuff can happen, especially with kids (and medication as well in my opinion but not experience)

Hope you get back on your feet ASAP.

tim

Edited by Jan

I have been there and it is devastating to watch. A couple of years ago, I went through the same thing and out of desperation, I caught the remaining fish at night and gave them a freshwater dip. I then put them in my coral only tank and preyed that I they survive through the night. Lucky for me they did and after a week, I had to put them all in the big tank again due to space and pollution concerns. They are still with me to this day. Still dont know what happened but I think it was more luck then anything else.

Maybe try a freshwater dip for the remaining fish?

Wonder if anything changed in your local water (not sure if its city or well) and maybe a water changed introduced something unwanted.......but it would also be weird if it just affected fish and not corals.....that points more towards new fish to me.

anyways as said before condolences

Been there and it sucks, no matter what. We control what we can and mother nature takes over from there, and many times you have no idea what happened. Sorry to hear and I to am rubuilding my personal system....

john

Thanks everyone, at this point it's just kind of sad watching them drop and not being able to do anything about it. Lost the 2 Dussumieris at some point today... they went from little babies that were only an inch or two long to 10" fish and even though they weren't the flashiest fish or brightest colored fish in my tank they were probably the ones I was the most attached to.

Really sorry for your loss, we experienced something similar a couple years ago and it was heart breaking. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

All of those poor fishes :(

I hope you find out what killed them. Since you didn't want to check the dead fish, can you check samples from water and substrate?