Roni's 270 gallon upgrade

roni

Isaac,

A blueface is one of my favorite fish too but the one in my tank is my favorite fish, the imperator.  I've debated adding a blueface but to be honest, I'm not sure my tank is big enough for an adult imperator, let alone another pomacanthus family angel.  The imperator has already grown a ton, from the size of a damsel when I first got it to bigger then the flamebacks to now almost the size of the tangs.  It'll eventually be the boss of the tank.  

duffygeos, 

yeah, really happy with the box.  So far no one has really paid much attention, other then being very jealous of the mussels he gets every day that they can't get to.  

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like them both. Do you ever hear the emperor grunting? How is the ritteri doing?

• 3 months later...

Basically, between increased work responsibilities and a new baby, i neglected the tank for a couple months.  In the process, I lost all my SPS and many other corals.  Just a few LPS survived.   I actually just finished pulling 2 5 gallon buckets of SPS skeletons. Pretty depressing.  

I've been on the brink of getting out of the hobby over the last few days but have decided to take the opportunity to retool some things in the system I didn't like before. I'll also be redoing the aquascape to make it more open and then actually trying to stick to a plan for only a few corals spaced out enough to the point where they aren't growing on top of each other.  

Anyway, will try to post some updates once I figure out what to do with the scape.  

thankfully, the fish are doing well.  They've been cruising along.  

Good, you have some beautiful fish.

• 3 weeks later...

Good, you have some beautiful fish.

Thanks.  

Lots of work on the system in the last couple weeks.

Took out the frag tank/fuge.  Turned out that despite thinking there was enough flow in there, there was a ton of built up sediment and detritus.  Did a few large water changes and then moved the water containers over to make more space in the tank room.

My litermeter decided to go out two nights ago and after fixing it last night, found my apex unit out as well.  It had been having problems on and off for 6 months and I'd ordered a new base unit but hadn't gotten around to replacing it.  

Will be plumbing in an acrylic insert to add filter socks to all my drains tonight as well as finishing up some plumbing from taking the frag tank (and UV sterilizers that were in line) back up.

After that, will probably spend some time opening up the rock work.  I've decided to try out biopellets to get my always high nutrients under better control.  I've used them in the past but had the reactor go anoxic due to low flow.  I also didn't really understand them as well as I (hopefully) do now.

My plan is to use an Aqualund 200 (custom recirculating reactor) with the all in one biopellets and biogro 123 for the weekly bacterial supplementation.  Anyone used something similiar and have any recommendations?  So far I've had the pellets soaking for 2 days in RO and plan on going online with 500 ml while dosing 1/2 of the suggested biogro weekly with the idea to ramp up to 1.5-2L of biopellets total. 

I will tag along for your experience. I've tossed around Gfo, bio pellets, or adding a fuge. One or none, in no particular order. Do you think phosphates and nitrates will spike with the fuge pulled, or do you think it was so dirty and contributing it will lower them temporarily?

I think the detritus in the fuge was contributing to the nutrient issues.  That said, I'm changing several parameters at the same time so will be hard to say.  

I've still got a small amount of chaeto and large ATS.  Also, biopellets typically take 8-10 weeks to really get going from what I understand.  I don't think nutrients can go up any more then they already have.  I'll probably test tonight or tomorrow to get a baseline before I start the biopellets. 

Justin had a great write up on how to get the pellets populated but have no idea where it was...

basically take the pellets in a 5g bucket with a heater and let them run (this is after you soak them so they sink).....then add some bacteria (mb7, dr tims, bioptim, whatever yuor pleasure)  and do that for a few days....the water will get cloudy/milky when there is a bacterial bloom....once that happens they can be placed in the tank...bascially getting the bloom outside of the tank rather than in the tank.

I think avast also has a recirculating skimmer top now if im not mistaken...im a big fan of their reactors (CARx and media)

I would recommend Red Sea's NO3-PO4 great stuff !!!! Just my .02

Will look into it.  Hoping to get away from things like gfo/po4 x 4, etc

Justin had a great write up on how to get the pellets populated but have no idea where it was...

basically take the pellets in a 5g bucket with a heater and let them run (this is after you soak them so they sink).....then add some bacteria (mb7, dr tims, bioptim, whatever yuor pleasure)  and do that for a few days....the water will get cloudy/milky when there is a bacterial bloom....once that happens they can be placed in the tank...bascially getting the bloom outside of the tank rather than in the tank.

I think avast also has a recirculating skimmer top now if im not mistaken...im a big fan of their reactors (CARx and media)

Yeah, I looked at Avast first but they didn't have a standalone recirc but a mod for changing their reactor into a recirc.  I was still planning on using them but they were also out of stock, which is a shame since with the build price would have saved me some $$$.  I really want to get things done and stable as soon as possible though.  It's hard looking at an empty tank.

Thanks for the suggestion about the bacteria.  You soak in tank water, right?   I'll do this tonight.  

• 6 months later...

Roni! What's happening over there?! Tell me something good. 

Roni! What's happening over there?! Tell me something good. 

nothing good.  used the fluke tab treatment for clove polyps and ended up killing my ritteri and really stressing out all the fish.  battling some ich right now and hoping things will take a positive turn sometime soon.  On the plus side, no clove polyps.   Gotta enjoy the small victories, right?  

Honestly, I'm so burned out on everything reef related right now that I probably should get out...but since I'm a masochist, I'll keep trucking along.  

That's what I like to hear! Keep at it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

So...it has been a while.  So, still not a 100% sure what happened but after the fluke tab treatment, my fish got sick and the sickness wiped out everything other then a flame hawk and sixline.  After that, the ammonia spike or something else wiped out the rest of my corals. 

After some deliberation, i decided to restart (sign of an addict or idiot, right)

I took out all the rock, ran vinegar through the system, and sterilized everything.  I ordered dry rock from marco rocks and recycled everything.

After two months I slowly started adding back corals and fish slowly.  During this time I got to battle my first ever bryopsis wave, which was a wierd process.  

The tank is slowly coming back together and thanks to MACNA and members on here, I've got some frags growing again.

I also picked up some great fish from Operation Reef Ready, POTO, Exotic Reef Creations, and Liveaquaria and there's finally a little color and movement in the tank again.  It's still a long way from where I want it but it's not the eyesore it previously was.  

I'll try to get some better pics if i can get someone over with better photography skills but for now, here are a couple quick phone pics

2015-10-01%2017.54.25_zpsavzgjnxt.jpg

2015-10-01%2017.54.20_zpsbqelid9k.jpg

(edited)

Some closeups...

clowns in their ritteri

clowns_zpsykjrbgr4.jpg

new rhomboid supermale (gotta get him a girlfriend)

2015-10-01%2017.53.48_zpsgiaztjzi.jpg

Purple tang from Moga (tony)

2015-10-01%2017.53.44_zpst61hcztl.jpg

PBT from Marco

2015-10-01%2017.53.27_zpsqbqvrpud.jpg

A. loripes?

2015-09-18%2019.24.21_zps4nfl0xat.jpg

Macna treasures (and a nice chalice from epleeds)

2015-09-11%2018.49.50_zpsmdrgjqir.jpg

2015-09-07%2020.23.25_zpswoav5fwi.jpg

Green birdnest (and residua from hair algae bloom)

2015-09-18%2019.25.10_zpsjagp9ahc.jpg

2015-09-18%2019.24.52_zps5wjzdmdg.jpg

2015-09-18%2019.24.29_zpsewpgyqwe.jpg

2015-09-18%2019.24.11_zpsm5tnxkb9.jpg

2015-09-18%2019.23.44_zps2myyy9ib.jpg

Solarensis and cleaner wrasses from DD

2015-09-16%2018.42.00_zpsg4bts1k5.jpg

2015-09-16%2018.41.57_zpswdzn7qjg.jpg

tonimi tang and flame hawk from DD...

2015-09-16%2018.41.54_zpsfpigw7xi.jpg

2015-09-16%2018.41.43_zpsnjvmuhjg.jpg

Edited by roni

doesn't even look like you started over! Coming back nice!

doesn't even look like you started over! Coming back nice!

thanks, it's a slow process but thankfully coming along.  Took down 2 smaller tanks which has made time easier to come by.

looks great~.. I can feel the purple tang likes the bigger and nicer home~

thanks, the purple is definitey the boss..and the only tang that seems to recognize nori as a food. 

nice!  it would be interesting to see if that onyx clown holds the onyx coloration in the ritteri.  Please keep us updated.  

Have you found that your onyx didn't hold color when hosting?  my last clown (which was a nice photon but not a true onyx) kept color fairly well.  so far this one has been great. 

Looks great Roni!!

thanks!  your new tank looks like it's coming along well.  are you going to do a carpet?