Sea Save - Glen Burnie - BE CAUTIOUS!!!

dmatt56

With much disappointment after loyal support comes this post...

WAMAS, be careful if you sell coral on consignment - or if the owner doesn't like you. If their commission does not make John, the owner, happy with Bambi - the wife's - 20% arrangement, he might 1) threaten your life ... NO ... SERIOUSLY!!!!!!! 2) kick you out 3) curse you and 4) keep the remaining corals you have left on consignment. This happened to me, and I've heard other people say he curses in front of kids and kicks people out randomly and frequently.

Yes - my entire tank is supplied with their fish stock that is healthy, but BEWARE!!!!! If you need a little thing called ... sanity or stability ... be weary.

AND... House of Tropicals sells Instant Ocean Salt 200g boxes $10 less than them ($40) and both Cyclope and Mysis cheaper too. Don't believe their facade - hence no stock and no one in there.

Also... they neither sponsor WAMAS nor CMAS.........

Edited by dmatt56

i have heard the exact same experience from a buddy of mine, he wanted to buy some RO water from them and he cursed him out and then kick him out the store... i remember going there a few years back nothing crazy like this happened to me but the owner sure was very rude to me... :/

Wow, that guy sounds like a real tool. I like how his website, which is full of bad info, makes references to "God" yet he acts that way.

I might have to visit that place this weekend, I think I can some fun with that guy. I would like to see him try to kick me out.

I couldn't read the whole thing. Somethings not right. HE rambles and rambles. That's what happens when you sniff too much skimmate. You start spewing it out.

you made me have to google their website...that is some of the craziest "info" I have ever read :eek:

At least they are up-front about it. From their website:

"As a business owner we have "the right to refuse service to anyone" and we do practice it often."

:laugh:

bob

Thanks for pointing me to that website... good entertainment for a Friday morning. Now I can get to work on my tanks, firm in the knowledge that I need to add 100 pounds of macro-algae to my sump to reduce nitrates.

:wacko:

bob

You probably can even cure cancer by lowering the blood sugar and then
cooling the body or raising the temp.  and lowering the salinity of the
body. Not, let’s nuke’em with chemicals and watch their hair fall out
and they die anyway. Thanks?

Certified Grade A Crazy.

Paul

Edited by paenian

They're a couple of characters for sure.

I stop by from time to time to see what they have in......which is usually nothing. As far as conversation, sometimes I just have to walk out...

To quote Jimmy Buffett (who probably stole it from someone else): "I tried it once, it made me highly irregular, and I swore I'd never do it again."

So what was his excuse for not giving you back your corals? Did you have a verbal or written agreement regarding consignment?

With much disappointment after loyal support comes this post...

WAMAS, be careful if you sell coral on consignment - or if the owner doesn't like you. If their commission does not make John, the owner, happy with Bambi - the wife's - 20% arrangement, he might 1) threaten your life ... NO ... SERIOUSLY!!!!!!! 2) kick you out 3) curse you and 4) keep the remaining corals you have left on consignment. This happened to me, and I've heard other people say he curses in front of kids and kicks people out randomly and frequently.

Yes - my entire tank is supplied with their fish stock that is healthy, but BEWARE!!!!! If you need a little thing called ... sanity or stability ... be weary.

AND... House of Tropicals sells Instant Ocean Salt 200g boxes $10 less than them ($40) and both Cyclope and Mysis cheaper too. Don't believe their facade - hence no stock and no one in there.

Also... they neither sponsor WAMAS nor CMAS.........

That dude sounds like a total ******! I have never heard of this store or House of Tropicals. Are they worth checking out once

Shouldn't this thread be under Vendor Experience?

Edited by Nate

I hit Sea Save once about 2.5 years ago. I found a beautiful Recordia rock for sale and purchased for $70.00. I felt like I got a good deal. One month later I called to ask if they had more Recordias in stock. I explained the previous month I had purchased a beautiful rock for $70.00 and would like to purchase more.

This guy was SO ABUSIVE on the phone explaining that I ripped him off because this was a $300.00 rock. I told him there were no prices posted and the employee was the one that sold me the rock at that price. Unfortunatly, I believe this employee was fired over my transaction. Needless to say, I have not been back nor do I intend to patronize Sea Save......... If I did, I would be as crazy as the owner!!!

As for House of Tropicals.....sigh, the fish dont look super healthy to me. I dont think their tanks are particularly clean or appealing and I didnt think their prices were any great deals.

ONCE AGAIN I SAY.....THANK YOU FOR JOHN B, SEAN, AND SEVERAL OTHER LOCAL (DC AREA) STORES THAT WE ARE LUCKY ENOUGH TO HAVE TO SHOP AT!!!

Wanna watch Bambi blow a gasket, go in and start discussing kalk and calcium reactors sometime.

LOL -

There is a reason they don't have an SPS tank. Either they don't understand, don't want to learn, or just aren't into them. In any case - 99% of the information I got from them was pretty off as far as if you are going to run a full mixed reef.

Unless you want to have a 300g fuge with 200lbs of macro, they're kind of limited as far as true to life information.

They remind me of the crazy Uncle you never want to visit.

Bob - As far as HOT - they not the best or the worst as far as fish go (I don't even walk by the coral tanks - waste of time). They pretty much are like any other fish store that doesn't QT.

A lot of us up here buy fish from them. They're survival rate is actually better than some of the "cleaner" looking stores.

Its the same with Roozens - looks can be deceiving.

I look at it this way - 90% of fish come through the same channels. It is best to buy fish either right away (so they get acclimated once) or after a week of being wherever you buy them.

I also QT them at home in a dimly lit tank with low flow.

Since I have done that, I haven't lost any fish - from Roozens or HOT.

I just picked up the SWEETEST looking Kole tang the wife and I have ever come across - from HOT.

Here is my ranking of best places to buy fish (death rates from myself and friends included)

1. Roozens - 15/1 (this doesn't include the ones I killed :( )

2. House of Tropicals - 10/1

3. Blue Ribbon Koi - 1

4. Marine Scene - no experience myself

5. Mr. Coral - Haven't heard of any surviving (but I don't hear too much from people that go there anymore either)

Best online -

NyAquatics - 6/2

LiveAquaria - 3/1

Edited by Sikryd

They're a couple of characters for sure.

Freak show.but going to the "Boardwalk is fun sometimes"

Wanna watch Bambi blow a gasket, go in and start discussing kalk and calcium reactors sometime.

Yea said something like my auto top off/ kalk stirrer was one of the best thing I've done for my tank. And then it was a real deer in the headlights. :eek:

ONCE AGAIN I SAY.....THANK YOU FOR JOHN B, SEAN, AND SEVERAL OTHER LOCAL (DC AREA) STORES THAT WE ARE LUCKY ENOUGH TO HAVE TO SHOP AT!!!

+1 many other top notch places to spend your money.they just are not around me!

Had to post since I was at both House and Sea Save today.... Like Chad said House is deceiving, every fish I have ever bought from there has lived. No lie, can't say the same about the other stores motioned. In fact every fish in my tank except my Saddle Backs are from there. Only one of the corals in my tank is there thou. They have been around for like 60 years and I have been going there since I was a teenager.

Sea Save well I have never had a problem with John or Bambi yes their ideas are out there. I did pick up two really nice SPS frags today wonder if they are some of yours? Anyways I

• 1 month later...

Yeh, I had my own experience of getting "kicked out". I merely wanted 2 Bangaii's instead of 3 (he kept pushing for 3). I had already wanted a clam. Since I was a veteran in the hobby, I didn't ask too many questions. He complained that I came in the store wanting this and that and not asking any thing. So he refused to sell me any Bangaiis. I told him he needed to learn to respect his customers and I didn't feel the need to ask anything about my purchase. I had already done my research beforehand. So I got my teardrop clam for $35, which is a good price and left the store and telling him how his attitude must be the reason why his store was so full of people (sarcastically of course since it was empty). They are ridiculous.

I'm surprised to hear about HOT. Most people I have encounter always talk bad about them. I never bought any fish from them before but their service has always been very nice. I'm glad that their fish are actually healthy.

The only places I had gotten fish from was the now closed Scales and Mr.Coral. I have had much luck with both. In fact, my Powder Blue from Mr.Coral is probably the healthies powder blue I had ever seen in a store. Ate great when I asked them to feed it and very active and good size. Very happy with it.

I have ordered fish from Vivid, BlueZoo, and NY Aquatic

From my fav to least: Vivid, Blue Zoo, NY Aquatic. NY Aquatic is not bad, I just happen to like the other 2 more. Great service at all 3.

Its hard to believe that people actually treat customers that way! I try and shake hands and say hello to every customer that walks in my store, I am also pretty confidant that we have the best live stock around, so I guess if you can walk the walk you can talk the talk......otherwise why waste your time and $$$$.

john

come to BRK, Fins and feathers, and marine scene, you will get the customer service you desire and deserve. Thats right I just pluged 2 of my competitors, but you know what, I have a good relationship with both of them and they do a good job too!

john