And ended up with this:

img080.jpg

img081.jpg

img082.jpg

img083.jpg

img084.jpg

img085.jpg

img086.jpg

The canopy is designed for T5 lighting. The small doors are for feeding and light maintenance but the entire front is hinged and flips up for full access to the tank. The center post between the doors on the stand is mounted using magnets so it can be easily removed when necessary.

that is awesome....now how much would it cost to get one built to hold lets say a 180, or even a 200+, 96" long by 24" deep...with no canopy....

pm me some info...

Looks good... but missing a bit of detail from the picture from your router table and what you ended up with. I don't know about you, but my router doesn't automagically do doors, nor does it stain :)

I guess all the "in between" stuff is a trade secret :biggrin:

Looks good... but missing a bit of detail from the picture from your router table and what you ended up with. I don't know about you, but my router doesn't automagically do doors, nor does it stain :)

SHHHHHH...It's ancient Chinese secret. ;)

SHHHHHH...It's ancient Chinese secret. ;)

Yeah, the finish work is what kills me. I get a bit carried away with the sander to the point that I may as well have been using balsa wood :lol2:

Also like to see some of the mitre work on the doors. Even though I set mine to the correct angle, the pieces don't make a perfect square :blush:

What kind of wood was this?

Thanks for the compliments everyone. This stand was basically a less ornate version of the stand I built for Mohsin. This stand is also built using oak hardwood and plywood but the doors are not recessed and this stand does not include (nor does it need) the pine 2x4/2x6 frame.

I thought I'd save everyone from having to wait while dozens of pictures download. As I noted above, this stand is a lot like the one I built for Mohsin, just not as ornate and much lighter. No secrets here... If you'd like more pics or details, let me know and I'll add them to this thread!

nice! :clap: I like the idea to magnet in the center post

Yeah, that's something I should take pictures of and post here. I'll try to get pictures before the stand is picked up tomorrow.

Yeah, the finish work is what kills me. I get a bit carried away with the sander to the point that I may as well have been using balsa wood :lol2:

Also like to see some of the mitre work on the doors. Even though I set mine to the correct angle, the pieces don't make a perfect square :blush:

What kind of wood was this?

I hate finish work-but it's part of the job so I suck it up and do it anyway. Mitre work on the doors? None other than the 90 degree cuts for the lengths. The doors are true raised panel doors with rail and stile construction, similar to to most kitchen cabinet doors. The wood I used for this stand is Red Oak.

The center post idea is awesome. Kind of wish I had that going on as opposed to looking at my tank build and wondering who could I trick into coming over to help take the tank off the stand in order to easily fit my sump (when completed) into the stand ;)...hahahahaaahahahah

The stand was picked up this afternoon and should be in North Carolina by now. The new owners may not have their tank set up until Spring but said they would send pictures once it is up and running.

Since there was some interest in the removable post, I thought I'd post some pics of how that was constructed.

Here is the post viewed from the front of the stand:

img087.jpg

...viewed from the inside of the stand:

img089.jpg

...and with the post removed slightly so you can see the magnet:

img090.jpg

The offset mounting bracket and magnet can be purchased online or from Woodcraft in Springfield. Also, check out the grain on this sheet of furniture grade oak plywood I picked up from my local wood supply today! This will be used in the next project.

img091.jpg

img092.jpg

The grain on that sheet is just gorgeous, Bob. Where'd you source the plywood?

Cool bracket on that a center post. I've never seen an offset design like that on a cabinet latch. Most of the time it's just a metal plate for a door lapped over the frame. Neat idea, though, to have a removable post.