Nanos and skimmers

reefchick

I have been watching the skimmer thread and wondered how many people have a skimmer on their nanos.

My 12 gallon has a Fission Nano Protein Skimmer by Current USA - but collects very little skimate.

How about the rest of you? skimmer or no skimmer and your thoughts on them on small tanks.

Edited by reefchick

When i had my nano i never had a skimmer and just did water changes

Whats your bioload? Some people do and some people dont. Two good skimmer for your tank would be the Tunze DOC Nano and Aqua C Remora Nano.

Most of the time weekly water changes along with using filter floss and carbon will keep your water quality up in a nano.

I use the BioCube skimmer on my 29g BC. It's not the best thing in the world, but it does pull out some funk, so I figure "why not?"

I keep up with water changes though, and have a light load, so I could probably do without.

Since the BC Skimmer is air pump powered, I assume I get some oxygenation as well.

(edited)

I have a 12 gallon with about 12 different corals (softies)

5 blue legged hermits

1 skunk cleaner shrimp

1 false perc clown

I feed daily - but very little

My Fission really only gets "gunk" in the filter ring. No skimmate to brag about

Edited by reefchick

I've run skimmerless on my 29 Biocube since the beginning of the year but have decided to add a Sapphire Aquatics skimmer (due in any week now). Right now, I've had a CPR BakPak 2R+ hanging off the side for the last several days (I had to relocate the tank and kicked up a lot of crud in the process) and it's managed to pull a full load of decent skimmate from the tank (even after a 5g water change). I've noticed that some candy canes are looking happier since adding the skimmer.

I run both aquapods skimmerless, and feel as though, if you maintain a consistant water change system, and incorporate adequate biological filtration, skimming in such a small tank is useless.

I do however, need to take into consideration, adequate amounts of live rock, and i personally always incorporate a fuge, AC 70 filled with chaeto, to remove floating detritus, and absorb phosphates, and nitrates. That with a weekly, to bi weekly wc schedual, has led to a more than perfect water conditions.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm running a Biocube 8 with a Sapphire Aquatics skimmer in the back. It works rather well. I don't believe they produce it anymore.

I've also run a 10g which I plan on setting up again in the future with a Tunze Nano skimmer. Very good choice.

It is easily possible to run a nano by doing weekly water changes without a skimmer. Of course, you could run a 200 gallon tank in the same manner. But a skimmer can't hurt if you dont mind paying the extra money. It gives me additional peace of mind, particularly when I travel.

One caveat - watch the extra heat produced by the powerhead.

Aquapod 24 - initially used a fission nano, then a tzune 9002, and now its poly filters.

The most difficult thing is that skimmers need more vertical room if you are using the stock hood. I used to leave the "feeding port" open during the weekend and let the skimmer run through there for the weekend.

I junked my fission it never did anything for me... you have to get the placement just right or it won't work properly... I then ripped off the hood add a 250 watt metalhalide and 2 65 watt compacts a chiller I hung on the back a refugium then hung on the back a remora protien skimmer:) Which to this day still pulls skimmate even with the culerpa exploding in population... You may ask with all the equipment why didn't I set up something bigger... the key is weight its in my bed room and I didn't want to crash my celling could you imagine the look on my parents faces! Oh and my family and friends call my tank the monster that won't die:)

24 gallon bc with no skimmer and no fuge. All seems great I do weekly 5-6 gallon water changes. I have a big bioload and have started getting hair algea. Might be over feeding. Thinking about getting askimmer, so if anyone has one for sale. Wink, wink. Nod, nod.

Edited by Clyde