Living Room Nano Peninsula

YHSublime

3 hours ago, teamschreiba said:

Sorry about all the losses! Sometimes it definitely feels like a few things always happen to go wrong at once too…

Thanks, sometimes it be that way. Or so I hear. 

I'm a little befuddled how my salinity creeped up so high like that, as my goal is to not let that happen again. The biggest loss is the Cali Tort. While it is not a 'high end' piece, it's the longest standing piece of SPS I've had and grown from a tiny frag. It had survived two tank crashes, and numerous alkalinity bombs and hikes. I still have tips I trimmed off as it was STN'ing, and they appear to be doing OK, so I'll grow it back.  

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, YHSublime said:

Thanks, sometimes it be that way. Or so I hear. 

I'm a little befuddled how my salinity creeped up so high like that, as my goal is to not let that happen again. The biggest loss is the Cali Tort. While it is not a 'high end' piece, it's the longest standing piece of SPS I've had and grown from a tiny frag. It had survived two tank crashes, and numerous alkalinity bombs and hikes. I still have tips I trimmed off as it was STN'ing, and they appear to be doing OK, so I'll grow it back.  

Are you dosing a lot of 2 part? It can certainly raise your salinity over time.

3 hours ago, WheresTheReef said:

Are you dosing a lot of 2 part? It can certainly raise your salinity over time.

I was, yes. Until I lost some of this SPS, now I've toned it back a bit. I was probably dosing 160ml daily of ESV. I'm down to about 100ml per day now and steady at 9dKH. 

5 minutes ago, howaboutme said:

Keeping a tank is hard when you're not at home! Luckily, you're tank always looks good.

You're very kind. 

I cleaned the glass off yesterday and despite the holes left behind, the LPS is filling everything in very nicely still. Almost makes me want to ditch the SPS ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Question: Why does my salinity keep rising? 

My ATO is hooked up and working fine. I'm skimming super dry. I keep it at 1.025-1.026, and it keeps climbing to 1.030

4 minutes ago, wildcrazyjoker81 said:

My guess is because of how much 2 part you are adding, but that still shouldn't account for that drastic of an uptick. Seems a bit odd to me as well. 

The SPS hates it. I've lost 65% of my acros. Dumbfounded. 

You're sure that your topoff water is fresh?

Also, have you tried recalibrating your refractometer before each measurement? If so, are you finding that you have to adjust it each time?

Can you do a big water change and then turn dosing off for a few days while closely monitoring parameter trends?

Sent from my Note 10+5g using Tapatalk

Maybe you aren't waiting long enough when mixing NSW before measuring SG to add it and it isn't fully dissolved. Then when you put it in it would be higher than you thought.

6 hours ago, Origami said:

You're sure that your topoff water is fresh?

First thing I checked, it is.

Also, have you tried recalibrating your refractometer before each measurement? If so, are you finding that you have to adjust it each time?

yup, it seems to creep up over about a 14 day window, I have recalibrated.

Can you do a big water change and then turn dosing off for a few days while closely monitoring parameter trends?

I’ll have to wait 2 weeks to be around consistently, but then, yes!

6 hours ago, AlanM said:

Maybe you aren't waiting long enough when mixing NSW before measuring SG to add it and it isn't fully dissolved. Then when you put it in it would be higher than you thought.

6 hours ago, AlanM said:

i thought that as well, but I’m mixing up saltwater 48 hours in advance, sometimes weeks in advance. I always check salinity before using NSW. 

I still feel like the 2 part dosing can be contributing to your salinity issue. NaCl is what’s left behind from dosing sodium carbonate and calcium chloride after your corals take up the carbonate and calcium. RHF provides an estimate in his write up, which he summarizes in a post here https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/two-part-dosing-and-salinity.782769/

9 hours ago, WheresTheReef said:

I still feel like the 2 part dosing can be contributing to your salinity issue. NaCl is what’s left behind from dosing sodium carbonate and calcium chloride after your corals take up the carbonate and calcium. RHF provides an estimate in his write up, which he summarizes in a post here https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/two-part-dosing-and-salinity.782769/

Thanks, Eric. What's the solution you think? Calcium reactor? A doser hooked up for RO? 

(edited)

Run kalk. If fully saturated kalk can’t keep up add 2 part to make up the difference. Kalk doesn’t mess with salinity. This is my plan for new tank. Although I still doubt the 2 part is to blame. 

Edited by BowieReefer84

1 hour ago, YHSublime said:

Thanks, Eric. What's the solution you think? Calcium reactor? A doser hooked up for RO? 

Maybe try All-For-Reef first since you are already dosing.  Reduces your operation to a single pump and not having to deal with CARX.  This is what I have switched to for over half a year, since turning off my CARX.  From their website: 

With these components and balanced in its concentration ratio, Tropic Marin® All-For-Reef creates the best care conditions with just one solution. There are no additional compounds (e.g. sodium chloride) that alter the salinity or ion balance.

https://www.tropic-marin-smartinfo.com/all-for-reef?lang=en

I have some fluid mixed if you want to try it out first.

59 minutes ago, BowieReefer84 said:

This is my plan for new tank. Although I still doubt the 2 part is to blame. 

Thoughts on what is? I'm befuddled. 

53 minutes ago, JJKK said:

Maybe try All-For-Reef first since you are already dosing.  Reduces your operation to a single pump and not having to deal with CARX.  This is what I have switched to for over half a year, since turning off my CARX.  From their website: 

With these components and balanced in its concentration ratio, Tropic Marin® All-For-Reef creates the best care conditions with just one solution. There are no additional compounds (e.g. sodium chloride) that alter the salinity or ion balance.

https://www.tropic-marin-smartinfo.com/all-for-reef?lang=en

I have some fluid mixed if you want to try it out first.

I appreciate it, thanks for the recommendation. I'm on the road for the next 2 weeks, making trouble shooting and testing difficult. I'm filling up a 30 gallon with fresh RO before I leave which is temporarily setup by the tank. I've not only tested for salinity to make sure my RO hasn't been mixed, but I've gone as far as to try a glass personally to ensure! That reminds me of Larry of LRS, who used to eat his food at trade shows to show how natural it was. 

Hopefully Larry cooked it before eating, I don't think LRS is sushi grade.  😲

Let me know if you need some All-for-Reef when you are back.

19 hours ago, JJKK said:

Hopefully Larry cooked it before eating, I don't think LRS is sushi grade.  😲

Nope, raw! I'm sure the ingredients have changed quite a bit over the past almost decade. 

In other news, I rebooted and cleaned the tank/ato to see what might be happening. I found a thin dried layer of salt on the bottom of the container I'd been using. I forgot when you hear hoofbeats think horses, not unicorns. While I consider myself seasoned in this hobby, it was most likely me that did it. Couple of things could have happened:

1. I used it for saltwater storage while moving rocks, cleaning tanks, something, and didn't rinse it out. 

2. I topped off with some saltwater. I can hold about 25 gallons, and I fill it up to the top. One of the 5 buckets could have been NSW instead of RO. (could have been 1 & 2 combined, tbh.)

3. Somebody else topped off with saltwater (more likely it was me, nobody really messes with my tanks) outside of very specific instructions. 

4. The proximity of a 3'x2' open freshwater container directly next to an open sump allowed salt creep to get in. (least likely)

Anyways, hopefully this situation is nipped. Everything but the acro's seem pretty unphased. I'm still losing acros, hopefully the reboot on the ato and a big water change will turn some of it around. The fish are all fat, so I guess it's not all doom and gloom. 

I hope you figured it out and it was user error. It happens!

I’m curious how your new tank’s dosing demands compare to your nano, albeit with a larger water volume?

I’m sure you’ll continue to monitor this closely. If you find the salinity still creeps, then you can look at alternatives to supplementing the tank. Mixing salt at a lower salinity is one alternative, but it also lowers trace elements. I won’t pretend to fully understand all the nuances of our reefing water chemistry. I’ve read a little on the Balling Method if dosing. A kalk reactor would be a good alternative, but with a little more maintenance. A calcium reactor would also work if your tank if fully stocked with SPS and you find yourself spending a ton in dosing solution. Would need to do a cost and maintenance analysis to see what the best alternative is. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well. My salinity continues to climb, but I've cracked the code. 

I'm dumb. Like, the answer couldn't be any more obvious. The nylon screw that was holding my return from the ATO pump I guess got bumped, or loose, and the freshwater ATO return was submerged by about 1/4". I was essentially back siphoning into a huge container from my sump every time it kicked on to top off. 

What an expensive lesson, and stupid mistake. Meanwhile, the tank I pay 0 attention to just goes great. Everything is thriving. 

Enjoy this video of my 80 from this evening.

• 1 month later...

It's been a minute since my last update. After I figured out my ATO tube falling into my sump, and consequently upping my salinity and losing a bunch of corals, things got better. And they continue to get better. Corals are growing, fish are healthy and fat. I do have this slimey algae that chooses where it wants to pop up, but I just threw in a giant CUC restock, and hope to get it nipped in the bud. Considering adding a copperband into the mix, despite having 2 clams *grimace* 

52958440779_c8cea5d988_k.jpg

52957691872_3d10114061_k.jpg

52958747553_b9c4c9061f_k.jpg

52957691852_a705a2d909_k.jpg

52958677175_864d751eb1_k.jpg

52958673560_3d30833766_k.jpg

52957691847_47ea8433d4_k.jpg

Just now, lynn.reef.nerd said:

Glad it's bouncing back! 

I'm trying to get more copperbands too. They are my fav! 

Same here, especially because I don't have the time like I used ta to dote over the tank obsessively. Mostly it was SPS that was reactive. I was able to save at least a tiny frag of everything I had by the time I figured out the issues, so the good news is it will catch back up again. 

My only issue with fish that are reef safe "with caution" is I've never had any luck, even with caution, lol. 

1 minute ago, YHSublime said:

Same here, especially because I don't have the time like I used ta to dote over the tank obsessively. Mostly it was SPS that was reactive. I was able to save at least a tiny frag of everything I had by the time I figured out the issues, so the good news is it will catch back up again. 

My only issue with fish that are reef safe "with caution" is I've never had any luck, even with caution, lol. 

Understandable. I haven't seen you in two of the meeting now so that is def weird :). Don't work too hard now! 

On 2/16/2023 at 7:55 AM, tpallas said:

This tank is coming up on its 12th birthday!

oh wow that's great, my friend his tank as gift from his son and daughter-in-law on his 50th birthday