Living Room Nano Peninsula

YHSublime

7 hours ago, YHSublime said:

Currently it's "pigtailing" but I'd like to hang it directly from the top of the stand and cut it down a few feet. I'd rather not drill into the stand top (bottom) of the top. I'm thinking about using the same stickers that come with MP's and zip ties, thoughts? 

I can't 100% figure out what you're saying here. Are you saying you want to hang your return flex pipe from the underside of your tank but w/o actually using fastener? First, why can't you use a rigid pipe once you get above the sump? That'll be better, IMO. Then you can hang that.

7 hours ago, YHSublime said:

I've been "cycling" rock downstairs in a tub, but I have not been feeding it regularly, so I don't think it's really completed a cycle. I took the water from the tank and used it in the 80, with a bunch of NSW, as well as water from my tanks from water changes. It's just water, no heater, and I've started to get a layer of algae on the glass. When I swap the tanks in, I'll be taking the nano and just swapping it right into the 80, same bio load, same rock, same fish, just more space.

- Should I add the fresh rock into the 80 and cycle it before transferring?

- Should I transfer and then add the rock into the sump and let the nano season it?

- Should I just transfer the nano over rock and all and not worry because I'm just adding quadruple the water volume with the same bio load? 

Yes, you aren't really cycling it. I think you'll need to bring the temp up for the bacteria to grow. Then you need to feed that bacteria. So those rocks may either not be cycled or partially cycled. I'm not understanding what you're doing w/ the new rock? Is it just to help the bio load and it'll not go into the DT? Because you're taking everything from the nano over, you won't get a cycle. This is exactly what I did. But I'd personally cycle the new rock before you add it into your new tank. Chances you're fine? Probably but that's my suggestion.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, howaboutme said:

I can't 100% figure out what you're saying here. Are you saying you want to hang your return flex pipe from the underside of your tank but w/o actually using fastener? First, why can't you use a rigid pipe once you get above the sump? That'll be better, IMO. Then you can hang that.

I can hang the flex tubing, it's light enough, but I don't want to drill anything into the wood. Fastening things will be difficult as I continue to add electronics. 

14 minutes ago, howaboutme said:

Yes, you aren't really cycling it. I think you'll need to bring the temp up for the bacteria to grow. Then you need to feed that bacteria. So those rocks may either not be cycled or partially cycled. I'm not understanding what you're doing w/ the new rock? Is it just to help the bio load and it'll not go into the DT? Because you're taking everything from the nano over, you won't get a cycle. This is exactly what I did. But I'd personally cycle the new rock before you add it into your new tank. Chances you're fine? Probably but that's my suggestion.

Sorry, my question is all over the place. I do have a heater in the 20 gallon tub downstairs, with a pump, with an ATO. I believe they are probably partially cycled. I fed it a few times over a month (like big chunks of frozen just tossed in) and then did a 100% water change, but have not been feeding. Some of the rock has developed some brown algae, but it's mostly still a dirty white now. 

Yeah, I'm just trying to help the bio load because I'll be transferring everything right over. That's what I want to use the new rock for. I don't think I'll need the new rock TBH, the only thing I'm doing is increasing the water volume. I just don't want to see a cycle, this rock is coming up on on 5 years, we've got a good thing going, lol. 

I think I'll continue to cycle the rock in the tub, start feeding it more frequently, water change on it, and throw it into the sump on the 80 when I'm done. 

11 hours ago, Origami said:

Awesome angle on that shot, Isaac.

Thanks! Just chugging along until I move everything over a tank into 80 gallons. 

• 1 month later...

YHSublimes "Not-So-Nano-Office-Peninsula" 

Transferred into 80 gallons. It's been 2 weeks, and going well... knock on wood? Slowly cleaning up the office space, spackling up the walls, and hanging art/photos again. Not pictured, a giant pile of cords supporting the whole system. Nice to finally be down to one system, sans the cycling rocks in the "frag tank." 

The part that makes me happiest is that the yellow tang visibly enjoys having the roaming space, although all the fish hover at the tip of the tank closest to my office chair. 

52320485511_28df909ddd_o.jpg

52320910119_1d21c6ecbe_o.jpg

52320909899_42aff6241b_o.jpg

Looks great!

So remind me/us....Did you upgrade for more room for the fish to roam or for more corals? If so, I don't see much more room other than the bottom glass. Are you planning for more rock for corals?

22 hours ago, howaboutme said:

Looks great!

So remind me/us....Did you upgrade for more room for the fish to roam or for more corals? If so, I don't see much more room other than the bottom glass. Are you planning for more rock for corals?

Thanks! Haha, there in is the problem. Mostly corals, it's pretty wild filling up an 80 gallon with a 20 gallon. I'm going to figure out what way the SPS starts branching out and then go from there. 

19 hours ago, nburg said:

Looks good!

19 hours ago, Abe said:

Love it. 

Thanks gents, took a long time to get to here. 

18 hours ago, JJKK said:

Very nice!  So much more room to add some of my torches.  When you gonna pick up?  :)

Haha, once I get my cords straightened out and check my bank account! 

On 9/1/2022 at 1:26 PM, mattm said:

Very nice upgrade!  Cant wait to see it grow!

Thanks! You and me both! I was looking at some photos from 6 months to a year ago, and things have really taken off. You don't notice when you stare at it all day every day, but corals are growing! 

I have been manually dosing since I set this tank up, which is really stupid, because I have a doser. The problem is, I don't have a ton of room under the stand, and I didn't want to put the doser directly onto the floor. Today I had enough, I took all the heads apart, cleaned them, lubed them up, and set it up sitting on top of my sump. It's not perfect, but it will save me the grief of remembering daily. 

Pretty willy nilly, I've been adding a shot of each solution about 30 minutes apart in the morning, but daily. For those of you doing the math, 6 oz comes out to just shy of 30ml. As the tank continues to find itself, I set the dosers to 40ml every 24 hours, as the alkalinity is still dropping by about half a point each day, and the daily shots are not enough. I was all the way up to 50ml a day in the nano, but I've moved a big portion of encrusting corals that were sucking everything up. 

One thing I really enjoyed about the nano is the perfect balance I had achieved over almost 5 years. I did get algae on the glass, but it wasn't as quickly as now. Luckily, now I can have an algae free magnet cleaner without worrying about destroying half of the tank during a cleaning. The SPS is also starting to groove, and branch, vs clump, which it was doing prior to having space. I have also seen an increase in polyps. 

I have lost some color, the homewrecker lost a lot of it's pink, and colors are still vibrant, but different. 

There's still a rats nest of power cords beside the tank. I'll have to get that tackled one day. 

52340193292_a82a8ee7bf_o.jpg

7 minutes ago, Schg said:

Glad you decided to set up the doser finally, hope it helps! Does this mean you aren't going to use that bluetooth one?

I was going to set those up on the frag tank, but I'm just cycling rock in that now, so probably not. I'm slowly figuring out how to make my life easier. 

On 12/23/2017 at 11:13 PM, YHSublime said:

My new (Fostering) helper, Tiny.

27477030209_efd240e552_h.jpg

I didn't realize I had documented my foster failure. 5 years later, this pup is still snoring on my couch. 

On 9/8/2022 at 12:58 PM, YHSublime said:

I didn't realize I had documented my foster failure. 5 years later, this pup is still snoring on my couch. 

As it should be!  Great pup!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The takeaway? I guess I can grow acans now. I'm just starting to get the algae under control. It used to be the entire glass floor bed coated. Aggressive water changes, CUC, and cut back on the feedings. 

52517611438_1ea8a20f5a_o.jpg

52517333124_94a883d778_o.jpg

52516587722_11ff256304_o.jpg

52517333474_48cfdfef39_o.jpg

52517062701_10254acdc5_o.jpg

52517332664_55cc791134_o.jpg

52517611353_de84e0271d_o.jpg 

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Pedro said:

You have a whole lot of space now! Still looking great.

Thanks! Wont be long until it's filled in, already happening very quickly. On Thursday (15th) this tank will be at exactly 4 months. 

Looking awesome.  Can you tell me what the pink coral with the white growth tip is?  I got something similar, if not exact.  But forgot the name.  Thanks.

2 hours ago, JJKK said:

Looking awesome.  Can you tell me what the pink coral with the white growth tip is?  I got something similar, if not exact.  But forgot the name.  Thanks.

That's a Bill Murray. I think I got it from @wildcrazyjoker81