Mike's Nuvo 40

Picked up a IM Nuvo 40 and custom stand off a fellow member.  I also just ordered a Ocean Revive T247 light.  I wanted something like an ATI with Reefbrites, but the price point wasn't working for me.  Going to do my best to keep to a budget on this tank.  I still need power heads, which I am thinking Jebao PP pumps.  Also, all the misc items.

Hoping to get the tank going with rock in the next few weeks, then let it ride for a couple months without adding any livestock.

Just happy to be back in the hobby for now.

(edited)

I just got a PP8 (ordered an RW8 but I cant find anything to differentiate the two) and am pretty happy. The only bummer is how much real estate they occupy in tank. It isnt audible with my ear up to the glass at full power and the flow is much wider than the WP25 that is on the opposite side of the tank. Night mode and master/slave both get disabled when the power goes out and doesnt seem to come back on unless you hit the buttons again. This is currently an issue for me as I have them hooked up to a relay on the controller (have to order the dimming expansion and Jebao cables) that is alternating power between the boxes every 45 seconds. The WP works like normal but the RW/PP controller doesnt. Ramifications of using something in a manner not intended. 

Edited by madweazl

Going to paint the stand black.  Thinking about using chalkboard paint for fun.  The light is an Ocean Revive.  I went with it after seeing one of the nicest tanks on here run by Cliffpuckstable.  He doesn't know he's the reason, but now he might.  

I want some nice rock, but not sure where I will get that.  Might check local stores to cherry pick dry rock.

28190693422_142437a6fc_z.jpgIMG_4208 by mteske1, on Flickr

28190693382_d67686a7e8_z.jpgIMG_4211 by mteske1, on Flickr

28190693282_3027134a49_z.jpgIMG_4239 by mteske1, on Flickr

28190693202_c9b7d7c6ce_z.jpgIMG_4240 by mteske1, on Flickr

28190693132_506466b478_z.jpgIMG_4242 by mteske1, on Flickr

Going to hang the light once the tank is in final position.

I also have the Ocean Revives and so far I am very happy with them. I decided after seeing them over all of the corals tanks at Pacific East.

I'm cliff puckstable and I endorse this build. Making Wamas great again.

Don't let anyone ever tell you that WAMAS isn't great, that somehow we need to make it great again.  Because this, right now, is the greatest forum on earth. (applause)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I went with the Reef Saver rock off BRS.  It was on sale for $2.33/lb.  I also ordered salt (instant ocean).

I want to go with a starboard bottom, and need to find a good place to get that. 

I went with the Reef Saver rock off BRS.  It was on sale for $2.33/lb.  I also ordered salt (instant ocean).

I want to go with a starboard bottom, and need to find a good place to get that. 

Nice. Take some pics once you get the rock.  I need to decide on what dry rock to get.  I keep being tempted to get Tampa Bay Saltwater, but can't quite bring myself to be ok with the price.

What is a starboard bottom? Benefits?

Edited by Reefoholic

What is a starboard bottom? Benefits?

It's almost like that thin cutting board material (plastic) that folks will silicone down to the bottom of the tank, and usually coat it with epoxy and sprinkle sand on it to make a false bottom. It provides the aesthetics of looking like you have sand, but are essentially running a bare bottom tank.

It's almost like that thin cutting board material (plastic) that folks will silicone down to the bottom of the tank, and usually coat it with epoxy and sprinkle sand on it to make a false bottom. It provides the aesthetics of looking like you have sand, but are essentially running a bare bottom tank.

Yep.  Usually made of HDPE, I think, and often white, but available in other colors.  It turns your bare bottom tank from being glass, which can be a little slippery to stack up rocks on and can look weird with reflections, into a non-reflective surface which gives you some protection from cracks in the event of a rock fall as well.  I have no idea why it is called starboard.  Maybe it actually a trade name that comes from it's frequent use on boats as a building material?

I like that idea! Are there any bio-benefits to that?

Yep.  Usually made of HDPE, I think, and often white, but available in other colors.  It turns your bare bottom tank from being glass, which can be a little slippery to stack up rocks on and can look weird with reflections, into a non-reflective surface which gives you some protection from cracks in the event of a rock fall as well.  I have no idea why it is called starboard.  Maybe it actually a trade name that comes from it's frequent use on boats as a building material?

Should it be edge-to-edge? I am afraid that after the addition of the starboard, the pressure points might change and result in a crack underneath.

• 1 month later...

Progress is slow but steady.  Hooked up my water making station (told the wife I needed to build new shelves haha).  Have the rock and sand, so hopefully will get it filled this weekend.  Keeping the rock simple and away from front and side glass.  I always regret not leaving more room on the edges.

29361993070_3986deb896_z.jpgIMG_4929 by mteske1, on Flickr

29571340031_30ebb152a6_z.jpgIMG_4897 by mteske1, on Flickr

29652688655_5b8d1168ed_z.jpgFullSizeRender by mteske1, on Flickr