Mind Stream? Anyone catch the presentation? Thoughts?

nextlevel808

Did anyone catch the presentation yesterday at macna on the mind stream tester, I made it to late thanks to the awesome metro. Was wondering what people still think about it? I'm thinking about buying one off the kick start program but want to hear some opinions please.

I was on the fence til I heard the presentation and talked to them about it. Phenomenal, IMO. I put my kickstarter pledge in, but they didn't make it. They'll still get to market, but it may be delayed a bit.

I am really and truly excited to see this go into production.

--

Warren

Impressive technology, they have been testing for awhile. They said they're accuracy is getting very good. Magnesium is an issue for them now, but they said they will have everything ironed out before release. It is going to be great to see parameters updated every 15 minutes.

I wanted to get in on kick start but wasn't sure if it didn't make the $300k what happened. I've been following this for a year or more now but was skeptical on the technology. Warren do you know what happens to the people that got in on the kick start?

I was definitely interested and thought they had some good ideas on real-time monitoring. I missed the presentation, but we stopped and chatted for about 15 minutes and it seemed promising. I hope it continues to move forward!

I talked to them for 10 minutes or so.  Sad that they didn't make the kickstarter goal. I think it's just too difficult to convince people that it will really work how they say it will work, and it's a large enough pile of money that plenty of people are a bit shy of risking that much on a still unproven product, no matter how much work and research has gone into it.  

I hope they'll raise some extra funds and get it to market in a more traditional model.  Then we can get some widespread feedback from users over the course of a few months and maybe they can do a kickstarter again to bring it to the next level of production and get the price down or something like that.

If it does what they say it does it's kind of hard to imagine what the information will eventually be used for.  Like how people thought the internet was really cool for sending Electronic Mail at first until Tim Berners-Lee came along with HTTP which was used exclusively for Simpsons fan pages for a while until it eventually just exploded.

I'd sure love to get my hands on one.

Edited by AlanM

I didn't see the presentation either, but it looks interesting.  The only issue I see is the cost of the disks that you have to replace each month. At $50 ($600/year), that might be hard for most people to justify.

If you have recently enrolled in the Mindstream kickstarter program, please send me a PM. I want to track how many in our club are participating as we may be able to get a free unit to raffle off.

I missed the presentation but have a god relationship now with the people at Mindstream because of this conference. I had a nice talk with their guys about some of the challenges and possible solutions to various technical challenges. I also talked to them about the price-point challenges associated with their disks. Hopefully, over the long term, this will become more affordable. 

These are awesome guys working this product. The kickstarter goal was intentionally set high to push through their entire development wish-list. They are passionate about the promise that this technology can offer and will make adjustments as needed to bring it to market. Because of MACNA and the exposure that they received, I'm confident that they'll make enough to get through development and, by bringing some of that innovative spirit to reducing the disk price, will be able to support the long-term market needs. 

I was at the presentation and talked to them afterwards. The physical chemistry aspects of the technology look to be able to do what they're wanting it to, and it seems they're being careful about not overpromising what they can actually do and being transparent about what they can't (i.e., magnesium and phosphorus). I wish I could get the data locally without going to "the cloud," but then I'm a luddite who still doesn't have a smart phone :tongue: . At least the data will be easily exportable. I also suspect that folks will try - likely with reasonable success - to stretch the life on the disks to six weeks or so. Admittedly the accuracy will drop ("your mileage may vary"), but for folks with tanks that are already pretty stable that may not be critical. :bluefish:

LCRDATA, did you stop by his booth to see the very ugly old disk he had there as the demo unit?  He said that thing still got a decent reading that was a bit worse than the new ones, but not terrible.  It was in a running reef tank for a year.  He said the most frustrating thing for them was the continued skepticism that it does what they say it does.  I'd be frustrated at that too.

LCRDATA, did you stop by his booth to see the very ugly old disk he had there as the demo unit?  He said that thing still got a decent reading that was a bit worse than the new ones, but not terrible.  It was in a running reef tank for a year.  He said the most frustrating thing for them was the continued skepticism that it does what they say it does.  I'd be frustrated at that too.

I only saw it in passing - at that point I didn't have time to linger and discuss. But it doesn't surprise me. I suspect if there were a way to "clean" the sensor without replacing the disk they could go longer, although a year would have to be really pushing it. I can understand people being skeptical, but having the background to understand the technological approach, I'm only skeptical as to the ability to make room for it in my budget. :bluefish:

The Seneye has been on the market for a few years already and uses much the same tech to do ammonia measurements.  Seems like they should be able to bring something to market that would do Ca and KH and they'd have the Mindstream beat.  I pretty much only care about those two at this point.  Plus temp and salinity, of course.

I didn't get in on the kick start due to it wasn't going to make it but I was ready to. And I would still buy one or get in on another kick start in a heart beat if or when available. This has to be one of the coolest items of equipment I've seen in a while and could really use it lol.

I didn't get in on the kick start due to it wasn't going to make it but I was ready to. And I would still buy one or get in on another kick start in a heart beat if or when available. This has to be one of the coolest items of equipment I've seen in a while and could really use it lol.

You should have backed it anyway, backers will get the same pricing they pledged for when they become available.

I'm really interested but I bought one of the exact-idip things in the meantime

http://www.sensafe.com/idip/

I am ordering one too (didn't have my credit card on me). It at least makes testing easier and at the end of the day that is what I really care about.

I'm really interested but I bought one of the exact-idip things in the meantime

http://www.sensafe.com/idip/

Would like to hear your feedback on this along with comparisons to your own test kits.  

I like the idea of the idip, however the accuracy (or lack there of) was too much for my liking.  Also the inability to measure nitrates at levels we would like in our tanks.

... I wish I could get the data locally without going to "the cloud," but then I'm a luddite who still doesn't have a smart phone :tongue: . At least the data will be easily exportable. I also suspect that folks will try - likely with reasonable success - to stretch the life on the disks to six weeks or so. Admittedly the accuracy will drop ("your mileage may vary"), but for folks with tanks that are already pretty stable that may not be critical. :bluefish:

Each foil on the test disk has to be calibrated in order for their algorithms to work. Those calibration factors are stored in their centralized database and matched to the disk via an RFID tag that's embedded in the disk and read out by the hardware. They read this ID out and transmit it along with the basic readings off the foils to a web application. By performing the calculations remotely, they simplify the processing horsepower required in your device, simplify expansion to including future tests on the disks (did you notice that only a small fraction of the foil positions are used on the disk right now?), and also protect and simplify refinement of their algorithms.