LRS food reviews?

Djplus1

Just curious what everyone thought about the LRS food? I just got the nano mix, so I can't speak to the other styles. 

Pro: My Copperband that only eats PE Mysis (won't touch Hikari Mysis) seems to actually eat the stuff. Spits out some, but keeps attacking, so it must like something in there.

Con: A number of my fish (in 3 different tanks) seem pretty indifferent to the stuff. So much that I have to feed an additional food so that they actually eat something. These aren't weird fish either (clowns, chromis, pygmy angels, etc).

I can't say that the fish need to "get used to" some type of food, as I'm pretty sure they would eat my hand if I left it in long enough, especially since everyone seemed to say that their fish went ape sh(*t over this stuff. 

Most recently, I've been feeding Scott711's food, Rod's and Jan's and don't seem to have this "issue" with those foods.

Am I the only one with this experience?

I've fed Jans, Scotts, Rods, Roggers, PE Mysis, and a few of our members other home made foods, and LRS has been jackpot for me.

I got two packs and hopefully the other fish come around, because the stupid CBB was making me feed two types of food already. I just hate feeding two types of food when one should do.

I can send you a video of two osc clowns, two green chromis, a foxface, two banggai cardinals, a royal gramma, and a flame angel all chasing it around the tank.  I'm using the Nano version so far, so not sure how different that is, exactly, than the full size.  I think the foxface would eat steak if I dropped it in there, though, and I think he has good peer pressure on everything else.  They see him eating and also want some.

I've never tried Jan's or Scott's.  I forget that Scott does it, and Jan moved south before I had fish in my tank.

My female clown and my starry blenny did not like it. My male clown and my randalls goby were indifferent. My coral croucher does not care what he is fed as long as he can somehow swallow it. I have gone back to my regular food for now to keep everyone happy.

Fish are always cautious with new food being presented. It's a different taste, different texture and appears different than the same old stuff they have been getting for years. Just give it time. Took my fish 2 weeks before they would eat live black worms now they rip into it.

My fish are greedy little things. They eat everything I throw in there, including picking Fauna Marin pellets from corals, so needless to say, they eat LRS like it's crack.

Personally, I prefer it over Rods and Roggers. Rods breaks up too much, and Roggers doesn't break up enough, plus it is waaaay too garlicky. My corals seem to enjoy it too. Some of my acros release mucus to capture bits of the food.

I can send you a video of two osc clowns, two green chromis, a foxface, two banggai cardinals, a royal gramma, and a flame angel all chasing it around the tank. I'm using the Nano version so far, so not sure how different that is, exactly, than the full size. I think the foxface would eat steak if I dropped it in there, though, and I think he has good peer pressure on everything else. They see him eating and also want some.

I've never tried Jan's or Scott's. I forget that Scott does it, and Jan moved south before I had fish in my tank.

Alan, that's because your foxface is huge! He can practically hold fork and knife!

Everyone in my tank loves this stuff. I fed it on Thursday for the first time. Today was the third time. My tangs are eating out of my hand (which may be starting a bad habit because one nipped at me later when I was doing work in the tank). Today the fox face ate out of my hand too, and she usually stays away from me. Even Polo the new trigger came out while I was hand feeding.

how long have you been feeding it to those that showed initial lack of interest?

when i got picky eaters in qt or when transitioning fish to LRS or just with some stubborn fish it can take up to a week in my experience before they get a taste and realize they've been missing out and begin showing more and more interest and vigor when they see the baster or mixing feeding cup. this has been with primarily the larger blends, fish and reef frenzy.

Ok, silly question but.... what is LRS food?

Larry's reef service food. New vendor, and there have been group buys on the food already. Most of our local vendors carry their food now if you want to try it!

how long have you been feeding it to those that showed initial lack of interest?

when i got picky eaters in qt or when transitioning fish to LRS or just with some stubborn fish it can take up to a week in my experience before they get a taste and realize they've been missing out and begin showing more and more interest and vigor when they see the baster or mixing feeding cup. this has been with primarily the larger blends, fish and reef frenzy.

Well, I just got the food from you a few days ago, so the tanks have seen the food about 3x maybe. I just figured there would be a lot more commotion in the tank, considering what everyone was saying. I'm going to keep feeding it for a while until I can confirm either way if all fish will eat it or if I need to treat it as a special food for the CBB and Longnose Hawk Fish that I feed after giving everyone else something else. There is a hippo in there that eats it too,  but I don't count that fish as I'm pretty sure I could throw a bass guitar in the tank and he would eat it.

The two other tanks are nano's with 2 and 3 fish respectively. The mystery wrasse took a huge piece the moment it hit the tank water so I through another chunk in for the Eibli Angel to eat. Of course then the angel or the wrasse wanted nothing to do with the huge piece floating around and it just settled to the bottom while they "sniffed" at swam away.

The other tank has two clowns and a chromis. I dropped food in there and none of the fish took any interest. One of the clowns "nibbled" and let it go and the food just sank to the bottom eventually.

Well, I just got the food from you a few days ago, so the tanks have seen the food about 3x maybe. I just figured there would be a lot more commotion in the tank, considering what everyone was saying. I'm going to keep feeding it for a while until I can confirm either way if all fish will eat it or if I need to treat it as a special food for the CBB and Longnose Hawk Fish that I feed after giving everyone else something else. There is a hippo in there that eats it too,  but I don't count that fish as I'm pretty sure I could throw a bass guitar in the tank and he would eat it.

The two other tanks are nano's with 2 and 3 fish respectively. The mystery wrasse took a huge piece the moment it hit the tank water so I through another chunk in for the Eibli Angel to eat. Of course then the angel or the wrasse wanted nothing to do with the huge piece floating around and it just settled to the bottom while they "sniffed" at swam away.

The other tank has two clowns and a chromis. I dropped food in there and none of the fish took any interest. One of the clowns "nibbled" and let it go and the food just sank to the bottom eventually.

i would give it a few more days with those not showing interest based on my experience. some fish go bonkers immediately like most report and others it takes time. i have yet to treat or qt a fish that didn't eventually eat LRS with gusto anywhere from 3-10x a day in small feedings. keep us posted on results after a week if you have the time. thanks sir.

Two oc clowns, one flame angel, one six line wrasse and one algae blenny all love it. They all find something diff they like. Except for the clowns, they would eat a shoe if I put it in the tank.so no prob for them. The female takes the biggest piece she can find and carries it around for a while. The flame was really picky when I first got him but now is right at the front of the glass with everyone when I get home and it's feeding time.

I bought a small pack at a LFS to try and did not like it. I felt like it was watered down, for lack of a better term. I have found Scott's and Rod's foods to be far superior. 

I bought a small pack at a LFS to try and did not like it. I felt like it was watered down, for lack of a better term. I have found Scott's and Rod's foods to be far superior. 

Watered down or clean?  Mine is very clean, but I wouldn't say watered down at all.  Just my opinion. 

My fish went insane for LRS food the first time I fed it. Corals loved it too. I did rods and roggers before but I'm sold on LRS.

My take on it is that it is okay. My fish did not go feeding frenzy over it, but most of them eat it. I think it's missing the "fishy smell" that my fish are used to. 

I used mine for the first time yesterday. Most fish liked it but some of the Bangaiis spit it out. Will try again tonight. 

Wonder if mine liked it right away because I always mix up the food. I don't feed a consistent thing each day. So they are used to different things.