Terrible news

davelin315

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man, I was just there a couple months ago. Guess I'll go one last time this week to see it off. Way more interesting than stinky elephants.

This is terrible news. This is by far the most interesting part of the zoo for me :( I will have to get down there one last time to check it out.

It did mention all staff who worked there would be shuffled somewhere else in the zoo... I wonder where?

Thats terrible, whenever we make it to the zoo that is one area we all want to visit. Sad to see to go. Going to try and get out there before it happens.

So sad I might need to go visit.  The Elegance can come home with me LOL We love that coral

The focus is on mammals for the Zoo which is very unfortunate. Not that there is anything wrong with mammals, but a zoo that ignores so many other important life forms is not doing justice to its mission.

This is a big loss to the zoo.  Every time we go, my kids always ask if they can go on the behind the scenes tour, play in the touch tank, and feed the octopus (big thanks to Mike and Tammy for bringing us backstage on several occasions!).  I hope that big elegance finds as good a home as it had while there.

Feeling for both Mike and Tamie, know exactly what they must be going through. #SaveTheSpineless if you are a twitter or Facebook user. Not that it will probably make any difference given their timeline...

This is horrible news.  Like others, this was my favorite exhibit.  I wonder if they closed because of the cost or lack of interest.  If it was interest, it's a shame they couldn't have turned it into a conservation-focused exhibit like the one take at SI's Natural History.  +1 on the need for more attention paid to inverts!

RIP Elegance

coral+reef+national+zoo.JPG

I didn't know they had behind the scenes, wish I knew about it sooner.

Is there any chance they could change their minds?

We are very sad to hear this news, for the loss to the local comunity and visitors to the DC area.  We especally feel bak for our friends that worked there: Mike and Tammie and Reef eScape employees Brittany, Adam and Olivia that have volenteered at the Invert House for years. 

Huge loss. I wrote WTOP, my Congressman (Frank Wolf) and Senators Kaine and Warner. Some of the most sensitive and vulnerable of all ecosystems threatened by elevated global CO2 levels are impacted. Public education is a keystone to addressing this threat that, without displays such as the Invertebrate Exhibit at the National Zoo, may become "out of sight, out of mind."

Oh No!!  Dag nabit!  That is so so so sad =(.  And I was just at the zoo several months ago and didn't have time to see the invert exhibit that time (had family in town...not exactly hobbyists lol, and the youngin's took so much time everywhere else).

But jeez!!  The 22nd?!?!  How about just a LITTLE more notice huh? 

This is so crazy!! I was just there 3 weeks ago and got a behind the scenes tour from the main person there (Mike something).

You guys ahould visit before it goes, it is an amazing exhibit. And yeah that elegance has been there since the invert house opened! When Mike took over his boss said, "You can do whatever you want to the tank but the elegance stays"

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

That is a hugh loss for the entire Metro area. We were there last Summer when my cousin was here with their 3 boys. Their dad does free dive spear fishing so they are really into the ocean. I bet one of the problems is how it is tucked away. If you didn't look for it on the map you would probably miss it. Love the octo tank.

Just got my Fonz email informing members about this, about an hour ago. Total surprise. I just broke this news to my 15 year old who was looking forward to being a summer intern there when she turns 16.  She had been counting the days since Tammy gave her a behind the scenes tour, when she was 5.

Here's the press release -> http://nationalzoo.si.edu/publications/pressmaterials/pressreleases/press-release.cfm?id=2649

This part bugs me   " ....... The annual operating cost for the Invertebrate Exhibit is $1 million. The exhibit currently needs an estimated $5 million in upgrades to equipment, life-support systems, building infrastructure and exhibit interpretation.... "

We are closing the only invert exhibit in the National's Capital because of 1 million ?  Fairfax county school's annual budget is 2.6 Billion !

A few years ago, the Farm exhibit was slated for closure before State Farm came to the rescue at the last minute. So... anyone got a million or 5 to spare ?  Other wise I guess most of the live stock will probably end up in Baltimore's National Aquarium.