Terrible news

davelin315

In the comments section of that article I found the following Diddy....literally sprayed water out of my nose...

"It's tough to compete with a much bigger invertebrate House across town displaying over 400 spineless elephants and donkeys."

Great comeback!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic comeback. What is going to happen to all the inverts? 

Some are going to other exhibits, some will go to other Zoos and Aquariums, others will live out their existence at the Zoo.

I guess that is good to hear. Not the ones that will be allowed to die....unless that is because they have very short lifespan. All very sad on many levels. Thanks, Dave. 

Hope all is well with you and the family.

Some are going to other exhibits, some will go to other Zoos and Aquariums, others will live out their existence at the Zoo.

Thanks, you, too!

My understanding is that short life spans will be the ones that do this. Things like cuttlefish which were already adolescent or perhaps even adults would be difficult to ship out with any longevity.

As I read more articles about the closing it does sound like the building was never ideal, maybe like the National Aquarium in the commerce building, and did need lots of maintenance.  I hope the huge amount of attention it got in this abrupt closing will cause some folks with deep pockets to see the value in such an exhibit and put some money into replacing it.  Some kind of biodiversity exhibit sounds fine, but the zoo needs to stop bringing in so many elephants, heh. 

Ooh, or sell panda and elephant poop as a wonder fertilizer and use the money to fund inverts.

Just think of going to the farmers market and seeing a pile of tomatoes lovingly grown entirely with only the finest grade of panda dung.

As I read more articles about the closing it does sound like the building was never ideal, maybe like the National Aquarium in the commerce building, and did need lots of maintenance.  I hope the huge amount of attention it got in this abrupt closing will cause some folks with deep pockets to see the value in such an exhibit and put some money into replacing it.  Some kind of biodiversity exhibit sounds fine, but the zoo needs to stop bringing in so many elephants, heh. 

Ooh, or sell panda and elephant poop as a wonder fertilizer and use the money to fund inverts.

Just think of going to the farmers market and seeing a pile of tomatoes lovingly grown entirely with only the finest grade of panda dung.

NADC was never a perfect building and the decision to close was partially mine, but the similarities are that there is no plan for a new aquarium, just as there is no plan for a new Invertebrate Exhibit.

Also similar is the fact that there was no 11th hour push to fund it and the decision was made to close them out with little to no fanfare...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all -

I posted something in the Members forum, FYI.

Mike

We are closing the only invert exhibit in the National's Capital because of 1 million ?  Fairfax county school's annual budget is 2.6 Billion !

valid comparison

• 2 weeks later...

My kids are with my sister in Columbus Ohio for a couple weeks for the Summer. So I just got a text from them and they went to the Columbus Zoo just to see "Stingray Bay"  a touch tank at the zoo. I believe there was a small touch tank at the national Zoo, but not the size of Baltimore's.  Could something like that be installed that really pulls kids in? My kids are 13 & 15 and that was their request. I will have to preface this with the fact that my kids have been PADI certified divers for 3 years so they love this stuff. But most kids do, I think the location was one of the problems, you really had to look for it, it was not located on the main walkways.

Another off topic question....what happens with the really cool octopus at the front entrance?

Another off topic question....what happens with the really cool octopus at the front entrance?

Octopus died.  There is a follow up thread in the "Members Only" area.

Octopus died. There is a follow up thread in the "Members Only" area.

He's talking about the wire one, the sculpture, from outside invert house

He's talking about the wire one, the sculpture, from outside invert house

Correct

NAB had no touch tank, only some program animals that are brought out in tubs in the children's area.

That said, Atlantic Shores has plans for a touch tank when it opens. I believe mostly rays and skates for that exhibit.

NAB had no touch tank, only some program animals that are brought out in tubs in the children's area.

That said, Atlantic Shores has plans for a touch tank when it opens. I believe mostly rays and skates for that exhibit.

Dave, excuse my ignorance, what is "Atlantic Shores"? Thx

I cant help but feel a fund raiser would have got them the 5 million for the upgrades.  Hopefully they ramp up the national aquarium with it.  Its kind of a joke compared to Baltimore. 

Conversation has been moved to the members area, please.  I posted answers to some of the questions/comments there.

I really appreciate this thread! I have volunteered at the zoo for many years and have great friends there. I would not be where I am today without that place and it still breaks my heart to know it is not there anymore. I am glad this exhibit touched so many lives and taught many people about the importance of the ocean! 

Dave, excuse my ignorance, what is "Atlantic Shores"? Thx

New exhibit, no idea when opening will be, when I was with NA the plan was for it to open in 2014 but no idea where it is as I haven't been with NA sine February and withdrew from committees at NAB back in 2013 as it didn't feel right knowing I was done.

New exhibit, no idea when opening will be, when I was with NA the plan was for it to open in 2014 but no idea where it is as I haven't been with NA sine February and withdrew from committees at NAB back in 2013 as it didn't feel right knowing I was done.

thanks