Aquarium Gloves Use?

BubbleHead

I do when I'm working in the fuge just so my hands don't get so gunky and I don't worry about getting tagged by a bristleworm.  Other than that I just put my arms in when needed.

I use gloves when I'm anywhere near my palys, or if I feel I may be disturbing them. I've had enough experiences with what we feel is palytoxin poisoning that I don't want to take another risk.

I've got a pack of black nitrile gloves that I will rubber band on my wrist if I need feeling (and my arms have no open wounds on them), otherwise I have the giant awful coralife ones.

I hate them, but I hate feeling like absolute crap from palytoxins as well.

Dark circa- what kind of symptoms did you get? I I've gotten itchy once after I handled my anemone, but I recently got a few zoas and want to be careful.

I haven't had a working tank for a while, but I plan on using the disposable nitrile gloves when I get my tank running.  I won't even have palys, I just want to keep pristine water.  If I've just taken a shower I might not use gloves.

I use gloves.  It is to protect both myself and my tank.  There is so much bacteria in a reef tank that a small cut on the hand could get seriously infected.  On top of that, I don't want anything that was on my hand disturbing my coral and fish health.

Ha ha, you people are so scurrrred. I peel brown palys all day with my bare hands. If I have cuts on my hands I'm a little more careful, but no gloves here son.

Ok the reason I posted was I just spent 4 days in the hospital for an infection.  Started off as what looked like a mosquito bite.  After emergency surgery and 3 days of IV antibiotics, I get to keep my hand.  They are pretty sure that the infection came from my reef aquarium,  I may have already had a scape or it happened while moving things in the tank.  I have never thought about using gloves and have only seen one person who does.  I was already planning on getting out of the hobby for other reasons but bought a pair of gloves just to break the tank down even though I am currently one handed.  be safe my reef friends,

You know things are serious when the surgeon pushed your gurney to the O.R.

BH-you caught my attention with that story! Glad you are road to recovery. I'm fairly local to Pasadena, so if you need help with the breakdown, please let me know. Willing to help.

Woah..

I never wear gloves... Sounds like I should be more careful. I'm like Dimitri, and cut zoas and palys all day with bare hands.

I only wear gloves (plain blue latex free ones in the big economy box) when I'm moving stuff around in my tank...

I have become allergic to the stings of my anemones, and I'm assuming soon also to my LPS.....

Wow, glad your getting better.

I only wear gloves when I know I will be handling my anemone which is almost never.  On the other hand I normally wish I had worn gloves if I do any aquascaping.  The rock just tears my fingertips up.

No gloves. I should wear them, but when I tried, they were a real nuisance.

Sometimes. If I'm handling rock or in the display for an extended time, I'll wear the long heavy ones. (I have a rabbit fish that I need to be careful of, too.) In the frag tank, if I expect to handle corals, I'll pull on a pair of nitrile gloves. (Get them while they're on sale at Harbor Freight.)

Sent from my LG G-Pad 8.3 Google Play Edition

I use multiple types of gloves - both the long thin tunze and the thick rubber blue and red gloves for going in the tank and then latex gloves for fragging. I do this for two reasons: to not get or give anything to my tank.

Really glad you're ok. This reinforces my belief in gloves. I also always scrub like a surgeon after I'm working on the tank even after a simple water change.

Thanks for the offer Makai531.  I'm just breaking it down as I sale items. 

Hoping that tonight is the last night of wound pack and the surgeon will close it up with steri strips tomorrow.  I will probably have to go to physical therapy or something as the infection got into the joint of my finger. 

Lots of nasty bacteria in the water be careful

Woah..

I never wear gloves... Sounds like I should be more careful. I'm like Dimitri, and cut zoas and palys all day with bare hands.

lol I didn't know Paly's were a big deal until I met Pants at a LFS, yeah I have been ripping them off rock with my bare hands for the last 18 months oops

Yep...you should wear gloves if you have any cuts/scrapes at all that will be exposed to the water ideally to be safe.  In the store, we generally only wear gloves under that condition (cuts/scrapes) when pulling livestock for customers.  However, when we are cutting zoas/palys that is a COMPLETELY different story.  Generally that includes gloves AND a face shield so any spraying juice doesn't get into the eyes/nose.  There are a number of corals and fish that require extra respect in our systems for sure....

Here's another story starring WAMAS's very own STEVEOUTLAW back in 2007....

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notrocketscience/2011/04/05/worlds-2nd-deadliest-poison-in-an-aquarium-store-near-you/#.U404bPldUdU