Reef controller

seantadez

apex user here, had an ac jr before that (well still have but it's in a box just hanging out)

I just think the apex is more polished overall, but they both get the job done

I really like my Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper Elite. Won't ever change.

Are you using this to dose 2 part? If so how did you program it to do so? Thanks

I've only used the digital aquatics controller so I can't comment on the others. I'd get it again.

This is an apex heavy club, but there are a few reef angel experts here and also a few digital aquatics types. If I knew then what I know now I would have gone reef angel, but I like to program stuff...

Reef Angel. Good price, good innovations, open source, wifi.

+1, people like Inevo really make it easy on new RA users.

Thinking about Reed Angel too.. But I found a lot of conts about how program the unit, anybody use it here?

SEANTADEZ

I just got a RA and I can attest that the RA family is nothing but helpful to get you started. I haven't gotten into any custom codes yet as I'm just starting to learn what capabilities and realizing what I can use it for. People like Lee (Inevo) are always available to help any newbies. I don't know Arduino but I have in the past taught myself other coding and am eager to learn the language, at least enough for my purposes. As stated, if you want inovation, fast, RA is the way to go. The guys at RA got the controller to control the Jebao pumps in no time while people are just figuring out how to use it w/ the Apex (with the RA cable no less!!!) and w/o Neptune's assistance (though there is a rumor that Neptune wants to work w/ Jebao on a custom pump). RA guys have gotten it to work w/ the D120 (w/ AlanM's help of course!) and have a PAR meter coming out that is integrated w/ the controller. Generally, DA products lag behind these two in development as well as popularity and you can tell by the amount of FS threads regarding DA products on RC and elsewhere. This is my opinion and based on my research, of course.

A final thought, a controller is not needed but nice to have.

howaboutme basically summed up my thoughts on the ReefAngel. I've had mine for over a year now and could not be happier. If you like tinkering it is hands down the way to go. They have more add on options than any other controller and with custom code you can automate all kinds of stuff.

Why do you think you're ready for a controller? I think it would be better if you explained to us some of the features you were looking for before everybody tells you what they prefer. I think it would be nice to hear what aspects of your reef you want to control, how you would like to do it, and if you're comfortable programing those functions.

Have you looked into any choices yourself? Ultimately, you will have to figure out what is going to be easiest to setup and use for your needs. As always, when making an expensive purchase, do your due diligence and research, research, research.

FWIW, I use the Apex Jr. I'm computer literate, but by no means a genius. It took me a long time to even start programing basic on/off operations. 

I will give my point of view being a newbie....  By the time you get a good temp controller, ATO, Power timers, etc. An apex is a no brainier.  After I did some research I chose the Apex Lite.  I have it monitor my PH, take care of heating, cooling fans, ATO, Fuge Light and pumps.  The ease of pressing a button for shutting down all pumps for maintenance and then again starting with delay timers for skimmer and GFO pumps.  I can take a vacation and still monitor my tank from remote sites with its built in network capability.  I can link it to sites like aquaticlog and record a history of my tank.  I am about 1 day away (Jebao connectors arrived in NY from China should be here tomorrow) from cabling my WP25's into it for time of day changes in flow.  

The apex was one of the best investments I made.....and I only wish I would have purchased it earlier.  If you don't have a controller its because you just don't know what you are missing IMO.

I also recommend the apex. It has saved my tank a couple of times while I was on vacation. Between RA and Apex I believe is a decision based on the individual. If you are more of a DIY type RA might fit your needs better. Apex is a bit less programming. I would recommend you check both out and decide for yourself.

Why do you think you're ready for a controller? I think it would be better if you explained to us some of the features you were looking for before everybody tells you what they prefer. I think it would be nice to hear what aspects of your reef you want to control, how you would like to do it, and if you're comfortable programing those functions.

Have you looked into any choices yourself? Ultimately, you will have to figure out what is going to be easiest to setup and use for your needs. As always, when making an expensive purchase, do your due diligence and research, research, research.

FWIW, I use the Apex Jr. I'm computer literate, but by no means a genius. It took me a long time to even start programing basic on/off operations.

I think in ready because I can pay for it now, sometimes (a lot) that's an issue at least for me. So what I'm looking for is control over the ato, ph (kalkwaser reactor) and temperature. Since I don't need control for my lighting I have been doing calculations on atos, ph controllers, temperature controllers etc and I think the best way is to have all in one, I gave been doing search and research for months but I always want to know what other members have to say and that's the reason of my post. I used to have a controller years ago. I think I was in the first group buy who order the controller that was popular at that time, and I was in love with it... But as I came back to the hobby I found so much technology on the tanks, the pumps, power heads, skimmers, lights is just overwhelming how this hobby has grow and there is where and I want to get the pros opinion.

For me computers and programming things are not that big deal I'm a web designer and I put together really great financial codes when basic program was popular. (Long time ago) but what I mean is that I'm familiar with code program action

I hope this give you a better view of my post.

Seantadez, if you're comfortable programming and tinkering with code, and working in a collaborative environment, then I think that giving the RA a try will be good for you. And that's coming from a long-time Neptune user. (RA was not really an option when I started out.)

Sent from my LG G-Pad 8.3 Google Play Edition

I think in ready because I can pay for it now, sometimes (a lot) that's an issue at least for me. So what I'm looking for is control over the ato, ph (kalkwaser reactor) and temperature. Since I don't need control for my lighting I have been doing calculations on atos, ph controllers, temperature controllers etc and I think the best way is to have all in one, I gave been doing search and research for months but I always want to know what other members have to say and that's the reason of my post. I used to have a controller years ago. I think I was in the first group buy who order the controller that was popular at that time, and I was in love with it... But as I came back to the hobby I found so much technology on the tanks, the pumps, power heads, skimmers, lights is just overwhelming how this hobby has grow and there is where and I want to get the pros opinion.

For me computers and programming things are not that big deal I'm a web designer and I put together really great financial codes when basic program was popular. (Long time ago) but what I mean is that I'm familiar with code program action

I hope this give you a better view of my post.

I believe, and again I'm new to RA, you can do everything you've described w/o messing w/ any code as the RA has a Wizard that will ask you questions and then generate the code for you. Once that is generated and you're up and running, then you can start messing w/ the code. If you have controllable pumps, including the Jebaos, you can play w/ custom coding to do sync, anti-sync, etc w/o the added bulk of the pump controller and you can do more than what the standard controller can do (including Vortech and Tunze). I believe a few on RA are actually using the RA to do continuous water changes too (like a genesis but only using the RA). There are just examples that I am seeing for myself.

Oh wow that's really nice I didn't know about those options. I have the jebaos pump, so it will be awesome to see how this work out. Not sure about how to do continuos water changes but worthy to search that option too.

My concern is if I'm going to invest some money in a piece of equipment don't want to start thinking about upgrade in few months, what I mean is I want something mid-long term use with possible expansion or more possibilities even though I don't need them right now but may try in the future.

Thanks for the note.

SEANTADEZ

the thing to keep in mind with controllers, any controllers, is to keep it real.  Don't expect it jump out of the box and start running.  Start small and get the device working on one or two events and then begin adding more functionality.  For example, hook it up and start controlling your pumps and heaters, figure out how to do feeding mode...then add pH, maybe wireless.  And go from there.

The most important thought is not to get frustrated.  For me, at least w ReefAngel, it is so easy to want to configure many different things immediately that it can be hard to figure out where a particular problem is coming from.  So go slow and have fun. At least that's what I keep telling myself as to why I bought this tank.  ;>

Oh wow that's really nice I didn't know about those options. I have the jebaos pump, so it will be awesome to see how this work out. Not sure about how to do continuos water changes but worthy to search that option too.

My concern is if I'm going to invest some money in a piece of equipment don't want to start thinking about upgrade in few months, what I mean is I want something mid-long term use with possible expansion or more possibilities even though I don't need them right now but may try in the future.

Thanks for the note.

SEANTADEZ

All controllers are expandable. Like Rosco said, take it slow. Just get what you need now and then expand as you see fit. It's easy to get caught up on getting every attachment or module (using Reef Angel as an example) at the beginning but they are not needed. I only have the basic setup, not doing a darn thing extra. But it's enough for me now and let's me continue to do my research and develop ideas. Then I can invest in other accessories as I feel more comfortable and my tank needs (more like want) it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to thank SEANTADEZ  for posting this.  I'm in the same boat.  Was in the hobby around 2005-2008, but then moved to CA and got out of the hobby.  Now, six years later, I'm trying to get back into the hobby and am completely lost.  Everything has changed it seems.  It seems I have to start from scratch again on researching what I need/want.  However, I do recall my number one fear was going on vacation and worrying the whole time about my livestock set up.  

For those who have been using controllers for a while - I would be very interested in hearing how the controller has "saved your bacon" and situations in which it helps avoid catastrophe in the tank.  This will help me figure out why I think I need one and which aspects are most important to me in terms of functionality.

Also - not meaning to hijack the thread, is it ok to ask another related question?  Can controllers handle power outages?  I mean, if power goes out and I have a back-up power system in place, can the controller be programmed to automatically switch to the back-up power and power-save functions to run only critical life support?

Thanks again everyone for contributing your experience and opinions.  That's one of the things that makes this club so awesome. 

Some of us have done just that.  It uses a UPS and multiple outlet boxes to switch between power on\power off situations.  Designs like this are slightly more sophisticated.  There are several discussion threads on the reefangel forum just for that.  Check it out and let us know if you have more questions.  Thx