Motti's 265 inwall Display + Fishroom build

motti

I dropped by Adam's this afternoon to check out his place and I saw your tank and sump today! Man is that a sweet tank!! The joints look gorgeous! Very impressed with Adam's build. All I have heard is great stuff about what he creates. If he didn't get the tank there tonight it was partially because they had a shipment of fish come into Dulles that he had to go get.

So last week I had him over, we talked about my plans, and I put a deposit down on a 96 x 30 x 24  300 gal. It will have exterior overflows on both ends and the tank will be 1 foot out of the wall into the room and the rest in the new fish room that I am building. I wish I could do it like yours, but I have a steel column in the way on the corner I would have to use. Stay tuned for a build thread!

Monti, you are going to have a awesome tank, sump, and control system by the looks of it. I am following along to make sure I don't make any mistakes.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adam did an amazing job on both tanks. Despite the weather and the crazy rush hour/snow he came and delivered the tanks. I couldn't be more pleased with the results. Pictures really don't do justice look much better in person.

I think that you made a good choice going with 30 deep. It will be a lot of fun aquascaping it. I'll be placing an order for rock and sand soon.

So far some pictures of everything in place... Going to do some trim work next weekend....

yzysu4e9.jpg

u5e8ady4.jpg

9atu5yhe.jpg

yzybe4an.jpg

Somebody put Adam on overdrive these days. He seems to be cranking these things out, especially compared to the garage days.

After seeing your great sump, mine is super ugly as a converted 40B. I need to get him to make me one. My idea is a 40B footprint with integrated sock holders with a bulkhead right under them in the sock section of the sump to serve as a flow bypass so I can keep the return pump going while taking the sump and everything offline for a good clean.

How did you color the display back black? Is the acrylic black or did you put a film on it?

Very very nice!

Thanks he really did a nice job on these tanks :)

Somebody put Adam on overdrive these days. He seems to be cranking these things out, especially compared to the garage days.

After seeing your great sump, mine is super ugly as a converted 40B. I need to get him to make me one. My idea is a 40B footprint with integrated sock holders with a bulkhead right under them in the sock section of the sump to serve as a flow bypass so I can keep the return pump going while taking the sump and everything offline for a good clean.

How did you color the display back black? Is the acrylic black or did you put a film on it?

Adam put in black acrylic inlays and glued them to the back and side panels. I like it that way because you don't get that chipped look after a while like the painted backs

Thanks again for your business Motti!  I look forward to seeing the rest of the build play out.  It's all in your hands now!!!

LOL you ain't kidding Alan!  And yeah, what a throw back to the garage days!!  Man were those days special lol!!  Not only do I have more space now of course, but being full-time plus (that means WAY over 40 hours btw lol) certainly helps quite a bit too you know ;).  As for the black back and overflow side, yes they are 1/8" Black Acrylic Panels that are welded to the appropriate 3/4" panels as an inlay.  It presents a great presentation from the viewable side of the tank.  The view from the back side isn't nearly as pretty when done this way, but it's a very popular option as the back side in these cases is typically against a wall or in a back room anyway.  3/4" acrylic is available in solid black, but it can be somewhat cost prohibitive so this is one of the several other backer options I provide.

I dropped by Adam's this afternoon to check out his place and I saw your tank and sump today! Man is that a sweet tank!! The joints look gorgeous! Very impressed with Adam's build. All I have heard is great stuff about what he creates. If he didn't get the tank there tonight it was partially because they had a shipment of fish come into Dulles that he had to go get.

So last week I had him over, we talked about my plans, and I put a deposit down on a 96 x 30 x 24  300 gal. It will have exterior overflows on both ends and the tank will be 1 foot out of the wall into the room and the rest in the new fish room that I am building. I wish I could do it like yours, but I have a steel column in the way on the corner I would have to use. Stay tuned for a build thread!

Monti, you are going to have a awesome tank, sump, and control system by the looks of it. I am following along to make sure I don't make any mistakes.

I look forward to your build as well Ken!  It will be yet another fun one!  We have a lot of large tank orders lately lol.  Just took an order for a 600 gallon tank this past weekend also....eek.

Thanks again for your business Motti!  I look forward to seeing the rest of the build play out.  It's all in your hands now!!!

LOL you ain't kidding Alan!  And yeah, what a throw back to the garage days!!  Man were those days special lol!!  Not only do I have more space now of course, but being full-time plus (that means WAY over 40 hours btw lol) certainly helps quite a bit too you know ;).  As for the black back and overflow side, yes they are 1/8" Black Acrylic Panels that are welded to the appropriate 3/4" panels as an inlay.  It presents a great presentation from the viewable side of the tank.  The view from the back side isn't nearly as pretty when done this way, but it's a very popular option as the back side in these cases is typically against a wall or in a back room anyway.  3/4" acrylic is available in solid black, but it can be somewhat cost prohibitive so this is one of the several other backer options I provide.

I look forward to your build as well Ken!  It will be yet another fun one!  We have a lot of large tank orders lately lol.  Just took an order for a 600 gallon tank this past weekend also....eek.

Adam- Motti's tank has some great details, I am glad we talked about the black acrylic in the back corners for my overflows, I think it will make it look a lot cleaner like Motti's. I love how Motti's tank sits in the corner with the end view and no view of the plumbing. Looking the length of the tank is one of my favorite views.

Ups fright just dropped off the water drums. Need to go to Home Depot tomorrow morning to get some plumbing supplies to plumb everything together tomorrow.

Posted Image

Water station is finally complete. Took me two days of water testing and tweaking to get it where I want it to be.

I used to float valves to regulate the water level in the tanks. Using a 12v solenoid to move water from the fresh water tank to the mixing tank.

The mixing tank is plumbed directly into the sump for easy water changes.

First batch of saltwater on the way. Hopefully will be ready tomorrow for me to move the fish/corals into the frag tank.

Some pictures as always ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pretty jealous. Beats the pants off my little 55 gallon drum that I have to use for both RO and Mixing. Looking forward to seeing the fish progress!

The DC6000 is leaking from the housing.... not sure how to fix it, took it a part several times O ring seems ok, but it still leaking.....  does anyone have any experience running these line of pumps externaly? I might have to order another external pump :-/

where from the housing, and not from the input or output fittings?  which o-ring? you can try using some appropriate lube on the o-ring and see if that does it. it may be twisting out of seal from over-torsion.

Seems like it's leaking from this I ring:
etamarev.jpg

Leaks from here:
pa3aha2u.jpg

Ok... it seems like the leak is coming from the screws... the O ring is probably not sitting right... is there anything I could do to apply additional seal maybe?

Edited by motti

I would try some extra lubricant on the O-ring. My underwater camera housing is the same way. If you don't get that O-ring properly lubed up, it doesn't seal as well.

I would try some extra lubricant on the O-ring. My underwater camera housing is the same way. If you don't get that O-ring properly lubed up, it doesn't seal as well.

Going to give that a try tomorrow, had to order scuba gear silicon grease - almost certain that will be food grade safe. Not sure about the stuff they sell in home depot.

Should i only put the grease on the o ring or also on the case where it's being screwd in place?

Going to give that a try tomorrow, had to order scuba gear silicon grease - almost certain that will be food grade safe. Not sure about the stuff they sell in home depot.

Should i only put the grease on the o ring or also on the case where it's being screwd in place?

All that should be needed is to place it on the ring and not the case. Best of luck to you!

All that should be needed is to place it on the ring and not the case. Best of luck to you!

Thanks!

Fish and coral are in their new temporary housing. Just hoping that they will all survive

Posted Image

Fingers crossed for you, I bet that's nerve wracking. Just the thought of having to move is daunting.

No luck :-/

Going to redo the plumbing so the pump seats inside the mixing tank. Anyhow it was only used to mix the salt and pump it into the sump.

Thanks for the advice tho!

The DC6000 is leaking from the housing.... not sure how to fix it, took it a part several times O ring seems ok, but it still leaking..... does anyone have any experience running these line of pumps externaly? I might have to order another external pump :-/

did you get the special external O ring kit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD