Motti's 265 inwall Display + Fishroom build

motti

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Motti, tank looks good, so do those lemon chromis. Tricia, Ken, please be mindful that this is a dedicated build thread for Mottis tank. Cheers.

Thanks! Will probably decide on the next fish on the list in the next couple of weeks. Might go with two moorish idols like Ken is planning too.

When you guys quarantine the fish, do you also Medicate them or just observe them over several weeks?

The colors, I thought the blues were pretty, but the browns have them beat. He's about 3 inches.

For how long have you had them already? Do they really reach 8"?

Ooops. Sorry we hijacked your thread Motti!

No worries, I think it's good you guys brought up the tang discussion. I am really trying to figure out which tangs I want to go with. Since I am only planning to go with 4 or 5 of them it will be quite a difficult decision

No worries, I think it's good you guys brought up the tang discussion. I am really trying to figure out which tangs I want to go with. Since I am only planning to go with 4 or 5 of them it will be quite a difficult decision

What's your fish list now?

What's your fish list now?

Currently in the display tank:

7 lyrtail anthias - I think it will go down to 6 over the next week or so, one of them had a bacterial infection and he is not doing so well. Not sure how to catch or treat him.

2 gold head shifter gobies

3 purple firefish

6 lemon chromis

1 long nose butterfly

1 lawn mower Benny

In my drag tank I got:

1 starry blenny

1 six line wrasse that managed to get into the dump and got stuck in the filter sock. I think he went into the overflow of the frag tank since it's covered.

And one yellow dottyback

• 1 month later...

Please update with pics :laugh: I want to see what a 300g tank looks like with rock and fish....since mine has neither!

Still fighting bryposis, I think I am getting close to win the battle... Already dumped more than two gallons of tech m in the tank.

Here are quick few pictures of the tank. The lights are only at 10% so they might not come too good

d27b04443c9f8815e45c8a4443a2a04f.jpgdb842fb49b49673880a4a4ec72da32f5.jpg996aa7a829cb71703f17be23cf1a97f0.jpg

I love the Anthias :clap: Big tanks will take a while to fill up some.

Yes they are awesome, super active, I am down to only 5 right now, but I think i'll keep it that way. The male I acquired had a runner up male in the transformation, that ended up winning.

I already have at least 40 frags in that tank, most of them already doubled in size, and it still looks a little empty

• 4 weeks later...

Monthly update....

Couple days ago, i noticed that one of my WP-60 stopped working. I thought it was an issue with the electrical connections, so I swapped them up, and it still didn't work. So two days ago I've ended up ordering the new RW-20 from amazon. 

When i took the old WP-60 out, i noticed that there was a snail stuck right below the propellor of the pump, which caused it not to spin. so now I have an extra WP-60 sitting around. Tried putting it in my frag tank, but as soon as i fired it up, water started spilling even at the lowest settings.

Anyway, a quick review of the RW-20, this thing is awesome. seems like Jebao fixed many issues that were bothering me with the WP line, and I am considering replacing the rest of the WP-40's and WP-60s i got in the tank with the RW-15 and RW-20.

- Smaller housing

- the power head mount is build much better, in the past i had one of the wp-60 disconnect from the mount because it was flimsy.

- A lot quieter.

I am using my own DIY controller, so I can't comment on the controller itself. anyhow, if anyone is interesting in buying those my old WP's please drop me a line.

Motti just post the old WP's in the for sale section.

Sounds like it turned out for the best, not the cheapest, but now you have an upgrade.

The WPs are little work horses and it's amazing how much quieter they are than the original MPs. I wish they had a version that kept the power outside of the aquarium like the Vortechs.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had somewhat unlucky week with the tank last week. While cleaning the calcium reactor I got from piper97 I managed to snap off the water inlet. Tried to fix it with some glue but it didn't hold. Reached out to MRC and they said they could fix it for 25$ plus parts so I am planning to ship it off to them over the weekend

7f22eedb409a8309239eb95649874d33.jpg

1cb73eaff2f2d8892d36574dfd7e4a73.jpg

Also my ASM G5 skimmer starting to give out, one of the sedra pumps would not spin sometimes and the impeller is completely messed up. So I've also ended to ordering s new skimmer. I got Reef Octopus Diablo ext250

Just put it together and I really like the build quality. Built much better than the ASM skimmer and looks nicer in the sump.

Good bye old skimmer

a073107de2d74a27b0f00791dd191df9.jpg

Hi new one

b1b2d0a9a73958b93da213fec06390bc.jpg

2e5116209673019989c1f4f1f31e7c84.jpg

5bc441ed5c6a15f6c15b383e6e214962.jpg

fa69a9884b7eb2663461bed26fb43ea4.jpg

That skimmer is nice!!!!! The guy on RC recommeded to me but the foot print is too wide to get it into my sump.

How is the RODC pump sound?

If it came with the small Waveline DC controller ask for an upgrade now or it will be dead in a year. Great designed skimmer, but the DC pump is the original design.

That skimmer is nice!!!!! The guy on RC recommeded to me but the foot print is too wide to get it into my sump.

How is the RODC pump sound?

Indeed. The RODCS pump is silent.

Oh that skimmer looks good in there!

Yes a huge improvement over the other one. Going to have more space in the sump now.

If it came with the small Waveline DC controller ask for an upgrade now or it will be dead in a year. Great designed skimmer, but the DC pump is the original design.

It came with the upgraded RODCS 5500 pump.

This morning the collection cup already had some light skimate with some gunk in it already. I really like the drain plug feature makes draining so easy

Have you won the Bryopsis battle?

It's pretty much gone, have a small dying patch deep in the rock work, the tech M seems to do the job. I still have gallon and a half left, just in case it will come back. I am pretty sure the new skimmer will also help keep nutrients low since it's more efficient than the old one.

• 2 weeks later...