Motti's 265 inwall Display + Fishroom build

motti

Oh NO!  Right in the main view rounded corner of course right?!?! lol  I hate when things work that way, but they always seem to don't they?  No worries though for you...you are very close.  If the surface feels smooth, but just has that haze left then the quick and dirty would be to use a plastic polish from your local store's wax and polish aisle.  In the provided example, she used PlastX.  That would be fine for you as well.  Note that there will likely be some visible swirls using this method (that's why it's quick and dirty), but only on close inspection while tank is still empty and likely not perceptible at all once wet.

Oh, and all those "Headlight Restore Kits" which are overpriced for the most part....mainly they compose of high grit sandpaper (up to about 4000 grit) and Polishing Compound.  

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea i know! and it was also a very stupid move on my end, didn't watch myself... could have easily prevented it!!!

I've been using the Novus 1 + 2 + 3 as the polishing compound so far.

Thank you guys, I just finished buffing the aquarium, it worked so well so I also buffed the outside :) looks just like new. I am really glad I went wth acrylic for the tank, I doubt that I would have been able to get those scratches out from glass

Thank you guys, I just finished buffing the aquarium, it worked so well so I also buffed the outside :) looks just like new. I am really glad I went wth acrylic for the tank, I doubt that I would have been able to get those scratches out from glass

Motti- Great news! What exactly did you end up getting and how did you use it -based on all the info and options above.

Love the pic of the plumbing..... now I know what to do to fix mine! 

I skipped all the posts on upgrading the lights. beyond my ability to understand.... just give me pretty pictures   :tongue:

Motti- Great news! What exactly did you end up getting and how did you use it -based on all the info and options above.

I first used dry sand paper started from 1500 grid and went up to 12000 grid (i think), i used it dry but i understand next time (hopefully won't be next time) it's better to use wet sand paper, once i done with the sanding i used the Novus products to try to buff out the very fine scratches. but the power buffer really helped the second time around, first i used Novus #2 for fine scratches, polished it for some time until the thing dried out. cleaned it out with some water and microfiber towl. then i used Novus number 1 to fine polish everything. once done I used another microfiber towel to clean up everything and walla, almost like new :)  

I also used a little alcohol to clean out the polish paste just in case it's not safe for reef.... and tomorrow i'll start filling up that bad boy! making 50 gallons per day... might take me a good week to finish filling it up.

I did pick up some corals today (for the fuge)

picked up a xenia frag from ExoticReefCreations while i picked up the power heads.

picked up one leather coral and one small toadstool from flooddc which by the way have a very nice system going on :) he also gave me some live sand and some cheto :) thanks Chuck!

I'll post some pictures tomorrow once they are fully acclimated.

Love the pic of the plumbing..... now I know what to do to fix mine! 

I skipped all the posts on upgrading the lights. beyond my ability to understand.... just give me pretty pictures   :tongue:

I really underestimated the plumbing part of the aquarium/system when I started. I lost track of how much money I spent on all the fitting/gate valves/ball valves/check valves over the past 3 months. but i am glad it's all over now. It's been like a huge puzzle and i don't know if i'll it's even possible to plan such a system with one purchase.

I do have one problem with the Jebao WP-40 pumps, since i got the back acrylic in the bad and right side, I am unable to keep the magnet connected.... does anyone have any ideas on how to solve that issue? can I order stronger magnets to put on the back? are magnets reef safe?

Also started filling the main tank

harevemy.jpg

Motti I see your skimmer cup. Do you think that skimmer will handle the load?  :laugh:

few updates:

1. Tank is finally full, and running with the rest of the system  :clap:

2. was able to use the magnets in the end to mount the wp-60's, but i am going to get some exta magnets so i could feel safer... these power heads are monsters... pushing so much water it's not even funny... I bet by tomorrow morning i'll have have bare bottom tank.

3. Beananimal overflow works great, as mentioned in the first page of this thread, i was worried it wouldn't work becuase of the long near horizontal run of the drain pipes... it took it few minutes to stabilize where the water in the overflow would go up... drain, go up and drain again... now the water level in the overflow is constant. super quite... the water movement caused by the new power heads is loader.

4. skimmer is pulling all short of nasty stuff from the process of filling up the display tank over the past few days.

5. did a 50 gallon water change, will do another one tomorrow.

May I ask why you are doing so many water changes right out of the gate?

Got bunch new rock, water was standing in the display tank (and was stinking a little) until I was able to make enough water to start the overflows.

Got bunch new rock, water was standing in the display tank (and was stinking a little) until I was able to make enough water to start the overflows.

If I could suggest, I would let it jump start your cycle in the DT, unless you have enough live rock/sand, whatever, to make it start to cycle. Remember, nothing good happens fast...

If I could suggest, I would let it jump start your cycle in the DT, unless you have enough live rock/sand, whatever, to make it start to cycle. Remember, nothing good happens fast...

That's a good point. My only concern was with the smell of the, and the skimmer has been pulling out some really nasty stuff.

Posted Image

That's a good point. My only concern was with the smell of the, and the skimmer has been pulling out some really nasty stuff.

So there is a million and one ways to skin a cat, take my advice with a grain of salt. I don't see the need, function, purpose, of running a protien skimmer during the cycle. If you have the time or patience (this is generally what is needed) I would let it run for 3 months and figure itself out. Either way, let your tank mature and go through the motions, it will be better off in the long wrong.

Again, FWIW.

(edited)

So there is a million and one ways to skin a cat, take my advice with a grain of salt. I don't see the need, function, purpose, of running a protien skimmer during the cycle. If you have the time or patience (this is generally what is needed) I would let it run for 3 months and figure itself out. Either way, let your tank mature and go through the motions, it will be better off in the long wrong.

Again, FWIW.

I was planning to wait that long anyhow before getting corals/fish for the main display tank. 

Never heard about not running a skimmer during tank cycle, what's the reasoning behind it? I guess it might prolong the process (based on some threads online), but it will also export dead organic matter from those dry live rock... the system does have ~40-50 lbs of esablished live rock from my old tank too.

Edited by motti

Never heard about not running a skimmer during tank cycle, what's the reasoning behind it?

Again, please take my advice with a grain of salt...

It creates a soft cycle, aka "not a full cycle of everything in your tank, rock included." 3 months without it and letting your system work itself out allows your live rock and developed bacteria to manage the waste. I'm sure some more experienced members will chime in while we are on the subject, but I wouldn't do water changes yet either. Just run the power heads and let your tank start the motions, again, JMO.