Motti's 265 inwall Display + Fishroom build

motti

Looking good, Motti! Are you doing all of the work yourself?

Wife wouldn't let me :) a friend recommended a guy that works with him. So they have been coming to do the work on weekends

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the first designs for the controller web interface completed. still need to work on the rest of the screens.

Dashboard:

post-2631796-0-31156300-1391207494.jpg

Water changing / mixing station screen:

post-2631796-0-03638000-1391207531.jpg

post-2631796-0-31156300-1391207494_thumb.jpg

post-2631796-0-03638000-1391207531_thumb.jpg

Did you design your own controller interface? What brand controller are you using?

Yes, planning to use arduino mega to control outlets, PWM channels and collect data from sensors. The actual control commands will come from a web program that will be developed using nodeJS, the communication between the computer > arduino mega and back will be via serial connection (maybe bluetooth).

I did some experimenting controlling the lights that way last month, wish I had taken pictures at that time but i forgot.

Some more construction progress.

Finished painting external wall, started putting in floor. Finish priming fish room.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some more work was done tonight, flooring is complete. First coat of painting is up.

post-2631796-139148423198_thumb.jpg

post-2631796-139148424351_thumb.jpg

Built the stand for the frag tank and painted it white. Going to leave it not skinned for now and I might go back and add a shelf in there in the future if I decide to add any reactors.

post-2631796-139148432885_thumb.jpg

Construction complete :)

Ro/di station;

post-2631796-139156694505_thumb.jpg

Refugium:

post-2631796-139156698212_thumb.jpg

Just need to wait for display tank and sump, will add final trim and last touch ups once they arrive

Found out that the frag tank was chipped from the inside. Reached out to the pet store where I originally ordered it from and they are going to 2nd day me a replacement tank.

post-2631796-139162831723_thumb.jpg

Looking great!  Awesome job on the interface for the controller.  I will definitely be watching this.  Gives me something to strive for in the future haha.

Thanks guys :-)

Adam thanks again for the photos, looks really nice.

post-2631796-139163894308_thumb.jpg

post-2631796-139163897238_thumb.jpg

post-2631796-139163899231_thumb.jpg

I am waiting for few more parts for the controller, also looking for an older computer to instsll the controller server on.

Adam has been building some nice tanks lately. I'm already jealous of your fish room area.

Could you use a Raspberry Pi to run the node.js server?

I haven't checked out Ras-pi, but i tried BeagleBone Black which supposed to have better performance, I spend several days trying to get all the dependancies I wanted installed, couldn't find pre-compiled versions of most of them. Also after all the hard work, I ran into some other blocking issues.

Adam has been building some nice tanks lately. I'm already jealous of your fish room area.

LOL, yeah we have had some interesting and cool builds as of late.  Little scared actually....last year, February was our biggest month in 2013 for orders.  We ended up running 10-12 and 12-14 week build times as a result for a bit afterwards.  Luckily this year we are a full-time operation, but still...we are slammed.  It is awesome to get unique/cool builds going on that are outside the norm.  I LOVE what I do, but I also LOVE a challenge ;) or something new from time to time.

Could you use a Raspberry Pi to run the node.js server?

Alan...you and Motti make my head spin with this stuff.  I LOVE the interface Motti has created...and it even makes ME jealous!  I personally can't wait to deliver the tank so I can see where my work of art is going.  Something tells me that with the creativity put into that interface and all of the automation I will be in awe ;).

I haven't checked out Ras-pi, but i tried BeagleBone Black which supposed to have better performance, I spend several days trying to get all the dependancies I wanted installed, couldn't find pre-compiled versions of most of them. Also after all the hard work, I ran into some other blocking issues.

What language are you two speaking?!?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!  I wish I knew all this stuff you two were talking about, but let's face it....my mind can only hold so much....so I will stick to the knowledge on Tank Fabrication Artistry and leave the programming and custom interfaces to you guys ;)...but seriously...VERY nice work.  And Motti....we WILL be talking about this interface in more depth at delivery...=P

Hahaha thank Adam, I still got loads of work on it. Now that I am done with that huge project at work I can work less hours and get some more work done.

Installing node.js was ok, it actually comes with it's own special bonescript, lets you control GPIO directly from node. Adding other dependencies such as the serialconnection, sqllite or even mongodb was nearly impossible. I did a write up back then on how to install mongo on it, but performance were very poor http://www.horesh-studios.com/linux/beaglebone-black-and-mongodb/