Orion's Deep Blue 57 Gallon Rimless

Orion

Added a Reefbrite (non-xho) strip to the T5 fixture last night. Wow I forgot how much more pop is added to the coral under royal blue LEDs.

Swapped the Coral Plus for an Aquablue Special due to the tank looking too "windex-y" with all bulbs on.

Light schedule is now close in line with World Wide Corals in Orlando -

10am Reefbrite on

12pm Actinic T5s on (2)

3pm All bulbs on (2 blue plus, 2 actinic, 1 Purple Plus, and 1 Aquablue Special)

8pm 4 bulbs off

9pm Actinics off

10pm Reefbrite Off

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Picture update!  Broke out the DSLR.  Thinking of upgrading it, and getting a Macro lens.  These were all taken on a standard 18-55mm

FTS

15758662435_14ae939fd9_b.jpg

Tri-Color Acro and Male Pylei Wrasse

15573234188_6fffc0b620_b.jpg

Ice Fire Echinata

15758659395_b12cd15b31_b.jpg

WWC Pink Passion

15139244933_9959f4afa5_b.jpg

WWC Purple Bonsaii

15573229988_f1f079c084_b.jpg

Mini Ricordia garden and Female Pylei Wrasse - Notice her belly isn't so big anymore!

15734944276_1c24d99612_b.jpg

Left side view - Ignore the ghost

15573839200_74b354065c_b.jpg

Right side - Male Pylei posing, Blue-Green Chromis, One-Spot Foxface, and Green Slimer Acro

15139237763_2cafa22a5f_b.jpg

The colors on the corals have really come out in the last couple of months.  They were nutrient starved with 0 nitrate, and very little phosphate.  Solution?  I added more fish, and removed GFO.  I only run a little carbon now to polish the water, a filter sock, and do a 5% water change once a week.  

So what are you nitrates at now? The tank looks amazing Ryan!

Thanks!

Red Sea kit is reading 0.2ppm now. Used to be undetectable.

I haven't tested for PO4 in awhile so I'm not sure what it's at.

Edited by Orion

Awesome, Ryan. It's really cool to see the progress after a year. I remember that tank before it had holes :)

So you think it's the fish and no GFO or is it the lights?

Great pictures, the tank looks awesome!

I bet you have a few new options on corals now?

You know....with the new job :tongue:

Awesome, Ryan. It's really cool to see the progress after a year. I remember that tank before it had holes :)

So you think it's the fish and no GFO or is it the lights?

You know, there are some awesome LED tanks out there, and there are some awesome T5 & MH tanks. I believe its more of the fish & no GFO combination that really brought out the colors.  Most of the acros were pale looking.  It wasn't until I added more fish, and took the GFO offline that I started to see a drastic improvement in color.  The corals were still growing, but just bland in color.  I think the advantage of T5 over LED is that I don't have any shaded areas anymore, and coral growth looks more "even" to me.  

Great pictures, the tank looks awesome!

I bet you have a few new options on corals now?

You know....with the new job :tongue:

Thanks!! 

And, um, uhhh... no comment  :tongue:

Probably also knows when Marco gets in all the cool new fish!

I do, but my tank is completely stocked!  

Time for me to let things grow out a bit.

I do, but my tank is completely stocked!  

Time for me to let things grow out a bit.

Or upgrade...........

Or upgrade...........

Not anytime soon.  Will plan on upgrading when we eventually move into a bigger home down the road.  Want a fish room with the next tank :)

Looks awesome! Really nice to see this since you were debating the 57 and overflow style!

• 1 month later...

Wow.  Time sure does fly by.  I think its time to update this build thread with a year in review.

This system has been up and running for about 13 months now.  I'll list below the things I have learned over the past year!

Bubble Algae sucks, but it can be controlled/mostly eliminated - with help.

• A few months ago my tank started to get overrun with bubble algae.  It got really bad.  I tried emerald crabs, they nibbled a little, but didn't really help.  It wasn't until I actually started removing it by hand, AND adding a Foxface that the bubbles seemed to start disappearing.  This particular fish wouldn't eat the big bubbles but he does eat the tiny ones when they start to form up!  So after a few months this pesky algae is almost gone out of my system!

Corals look pale?  Maybe your tank is *too* clean!

• Yep, that's correct.  Your tank might be too clean - nitrates and phosphates in particular.  Contrary to recent popular belief corals actually need some of these to color up! (light helps too :) ).  I ran into this issue 6 months ago.  SPS looked pale, LPS were slowly dying - chaos!  Nitrate was undetectable, and Phosphate was way on the low side.  I was running GFO, and had very few fish.  What did I do?  I stopped using GFO, and added more fish to the tank.  What happened?  LPS stopped dying, and SPS started coloring up in a couple months!  Now my corals look better than ever. 

Lighting - Less is More

• I am really enjoying the look of T5s over LEDs on my tank.  LEDs are great, and the high end fixtures (some of the low end too) can produce any color and intensity you could imagine.  This can be a bad thing.  Sometimes having too much control can tempt you into constantly changing things.  I have found that the less you "mess" with your tank the better off it will be.  With T5s there really isn't much to control except the bulb combinations, but that costs money just to buy more bulbs to play around with so I'm less tempted to do so.  

Quarantine!

• Early on I had an outbreak of ich in this system.  I just remember a few fish being covered in white spots breathing heavily on the sand, and feeling like a total piece of crap for letting it happen.  I knew better.  I knew that quarantining fish was highly recommended in this hobby, but I didn't listen.  Well I learned my lesson the hard way.  I caught all the fish with the help of Flieger, put them into a 20g for treatment, and my tank was fishless for almost 10 weeks. I just set this tank up a couple months prior and it was empty again.  Ouch!  

Well enough rambling.  Pictures!!

16045732159_e6d281e430_c.jpg

16229984051_da5a1a91fd_c.jpg

16044337618_499b5250bf_c.jpg

16045993957_26f7d41524_c.jpg

16044337848_60f49ff172_c.jpg

16045993647_0da5003248_c.jpg

15611998943_f3f745d794_c.jpg

• 3 months later...