Orion's Deep Blue 57 Gallon Rimless

Orion

I have been planning and saving up for this build for almost two months now. The dry rock has been cooking for a month and a half, and the sump is ready to go

It began today with a trip to Quantum Reefs to pick up the tank, and return pump.

This is an upgrade from a 30 gallon Innovative Marine setup. All livestock and corals will be transferred over once this is up and running for a bit.

Custom stand to be made by Corsii

Drilling to commence at 1530 tomorrow. Wish me luck! Shoelace is coming over to supervise the operation.

So far....

Deep Blue Professional 57 Rimless 36 x 18 x 20

Glass-Holes 700 Overflow

3/4" Loc-Line Return

DIY 20L Sump with Refugium

Lighting TBD

Dry Rock courtesy of Reefrocks.net

SCA-301 Protein Skimmer

Jebao WP-25

Pictures

The tank!

bame7y3a.jpgagede7a2.jpgymu3a5us.jpgdavaju2y.jpg

Sump (I don't have a completed sump picture, but I assure you it's done!)

e8u9ere4.jpg

Rock

8ymyhumu.jpg

Water test tonight, drill tomorrow, and if successful, another water test tomorrow evening.

Plan is to paint the back of the tank once drilling is complete. Stand should be done in the next week or two. Once stand arrives, paint it, and then plumb tank.

Still a lot more work to do. I'll see if I can come up with some aquascaping ideas while the stand is being worked on.

Edited by Orion

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There couldn't have been a better follow up to Kim's statement, well played!

Tagging along!

Success! Drilling complete! A big thanks to Shoelace for his assistance!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The bulkhead gasket for the overflow is a tad too long despite Glass-Holes telling me I needed the Tall one due to the 1/2" thick glass. I'll email them to see if they will send me the short version, or if hacking off less than 1/4" of it will work...

Stand is currently being made, and will be here in a week or two. In the mean time I'll paint the back of the tank black while I'm waiting for the stand to be done.

As far as heaters are concerned I would like to get two heaters that are slightly undersized, and have them fit in the sump vertically.   The sump is 12" tall. 

Will definitely get a couple of Eheim Jager's, but which two to get?  Two 100w or two 125w?

Here is the chart from Eheim -

3614 26-40 gallons 100W 12.2"

3615 40-53 gallons 125W 12.2"

Edited by Orion

Two coats of Krylon and she's done. Came out great.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Me after all the spray painting was done..

Posted Image

Starting to think about plumbing, and getting it out on a diagram.  Need input from the membership if this will work, or what can be done better.

The stand will be closed in the back, and I will drill holes with a hole saw for the plumbing to go through.  For ventilation I will be installing two 120mm PC fans inside the stand.  One pushing air in, and one fan pulling air out.

I am trying to eliminate using any 90 deg elbows since you lose head pressure when you use them. Return pump is a Waveline DC 4000.  Max Height is 9.85", and Max GPH is 1056

Keep in mind this diagram is 2D so you'll have to visualize where the plumbing will go through the back of the stand.  There may be an additional elbow or two to get the PVC through the stand.

10961287914_3672f9c445_z.jpg

Where it says "Union" just before the 3/4" return hole it should read "Bushing".  I'll need to taper down from a 1" line to a 3/4" line.

Just a few thoughts. Leave yourself room and set the plumbing to allow you to put in a filter sock & holder in the left chamber.

Install a piece of egg crate just on top of the baffle to the far right (between the return pump and center chamber) so that it can act as a flow-through screen should you put chaeto or some other macro algae in the second chamber.

Isolate the return pump from the hard PVC plumbing with a short length of vinyl hose (connected with a barb adapter) to keep pump vibrations from traveling up the hard pipe. If the return pump doesn't have vibration-isolating feet, then put a mouse pad under it.

Just a few thoughts. Leave yourself room and set the plumbing to allow you to put in a filter sock & holder in the left chamber.

Install a piece of egg crate just on top of the baffle to the far right (between the return pump and center chamber) so that it can act as a flow-through screen should you put chaeto or some other macro algae in the second chamber.

Isolate the return pump from the hard PVC plumbing with a short length of vinyl hose (connected with a barb adapter) to keep pump vibrations from traveling up the hard pipe. If the return pump doesn't have vibration-isolating feet, then put a mouse pad under it.

Tom, 

As always thank you for your input.

Due to my travel schedule I won't have the time to use filter socks.  I know they are excellent at catching detritus, and keeping the water polished.  But I can't ask my wife to change those out while I'm out of town for a week (sometimes I am out of town for longer periods of time).  They are just another item to maintain, and they add the risk of overflowing if they get clogged.

I plan on getting a couple of pieces of egg crate to do exactly as you mentioned, and also a piece to go along / across the top of the sump to the 2nd baffle from the left.

The vinyl hose idea is great. I'll make note of it in the drawing.  I'll check the pump when I return home to see if there are feet that come with it.  I haven't even opened the box yet.

Edited by Orion

Tom, 

As always thank you for your input.

Due to my travel schedule I won't have the time to use filter socks.  I know they are excellent at catching detritus, and keeping the water polished.  But I can't ask my wife to change those out while I'm out of town for a week (sometimes I am out of town for longer periods of time).  They are just another item to maintain, and they add the risk of overflowing if they get clogged.

I plan on getting a couple of pieces of egg crate to do exactly as you mentioned, and also a piece to go along / across the top of the sump to the 2nd baffle from the left.

The vinyl hose idea is great. I'll make note of it in the drawing.  I'll check the pump when I return home to see if there are feet that come with it.  I haven't even opened the box yet.

There's a Hang-on filter sock holder that holds a sock lower than the edge of your sump. If the sock fills, the water just spills over into the sump.

Jenn, most mouse pads are made of neoprene and are safe for underwater use. You may want to peel off the cotton / poly cover but it's not necessary.

Per Tom's suggestion I installed a piece of egg crate to hold in macro algae.

Posted Image

I also made a top for the sump to set the light on for the fuge.

Posted Image

I should get the correct gasket in the mail tomorrow, and I'll install the overflow kit this weekend.

Stand will be done by next weekend.

Two PC fans arrived today with a power adaptor for a 4 pin molex connector.

I'll use these for ventilation inside the stand.

Posted Image