Orion's Deep Blue 57 Gallon Rimless

Orion

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

3 month update:

taking things really slow...(but it’s working)

Tank has been up and running now for 3 months... lights have been only running at 4% intensity during this time to keep nuisance algae at bay. Going to start increasing that intensity to get ready for corals. Will use the group’s PAR meter and take measurements before adding any.

2 new utilitarian fish were added to the tank last month out of QT: a chestnut blenny, and a melanurus wrasse. 

Next up... algae. It’s coming. 
A cleanup crew has been ordered.

A Maintenance dose of Vibrant every 2 weeks was started. 

Current fish..

Lightning maroon clown

melanurus wrasse

Chestnut blenny

fish in QT: tomini tang

Doing it right. I've been cycling my rock for almost 4 months now, but now I have to run fallow for 90 days. All fish are now going through a QT. 

1 hour ago, YHSublime said:

Doing it right. I've been cycling my rock for almost 4 months now, but now I have to run fallow for 90 days. All fish are now going through a QT. 

oh no what happened to your setup?

17 hours ago, Orion said:

oh no what happened to your setup?

It's not good, pretty sure my house sitters added tapwater to my ATO.

• 1 month later...

Got my hands on the club par meter this weekend and took some par readings.  I was surprised at how much PAR  and even coverage the T5s were providing

Aquatic life t5 fixture w/3 blue plus and 1 actinic

2 radion xr15 G5’s set at 60% intensity ab+ schedule

D31615B0-5632-4C99-8094-9CA86C01A8DC.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Over that past two months I had been having difficulty maintaining calcium and alkalinity. I was dosing almost 200ml of both each day and could not figure out why I was having to dose so much. I think I figured it out, and it was not a low magnesium issue (mag is 1400+ verified by two different test kits). Keep in mind this is a small system.. with maybe 7-10 frags of SPS/LPS. 

I noticed last week my sand clumping together.  I stopped dosing for 24hrs, and left the lights off during this time. Alkalinity dropped fast - over 2dkh in the first 12 hours from 8.68dkh to 6.5dkh. Alk stabilized over the last 12 hours and hung around 6-6.5dkh. 

I then pulled out several “tiles” of clumped sand over the weekend. I was unable to break them apart. My guess is alkalinity and calcium were precipitating and forming these clumps of sand.  I performed a major water change afterwards to balance out the levels, and began dosing again.. but only 40ml each of calcium and alkalinity. This would equate to a 1dkh drop per day. 

So far the corals look good, and levels are stable. Alkalinity is still on the low side, but I’ll work on that over time.

79FE479C-9A41-4C5C-8006-E57DB38BA460.jpeg

That's crazy, are you spreading out the times that they are dosing? Are you just going to go barebottom now? 

On 10/27/2020 at 5:56 PM, YHSublime said:

That's crazy, are you spreading out the times that they are dosing? Are you just going to go barebottom now? 

I didn’t see this reply until now.. 

Yes.. dosing is spread out... so far alk and calcium are doing fine on a lower dose two weeks after removing those sand tablets.  Keeping the sand in the tank... I don’t think the wrasse would be happy if I removed it all

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well it happened again.

ich. 

I QT all my fish prior to going into the display, but not the corals (they just get dipped). 
I noticed 3 weeks ago the anthias acting strange. Hiding and not eating.. eventually dying. Then about a week ago I saw spots all over the tang, and various fish scratching/flashing. 
So all fish are in QT tanks being treated while the display remains fallow for 76 days for a second time in this tank’s history.

So frustrating. 

• 6 months later...

Photo updates!

Fish are all healthy, and corals are growing nicely. 

46B2407D-8092-44E2-8BDF-504525C5A1B3.jpeg

AF7F09D3-0016-4FD8-940A-B4ED884E501D.jpeg

6A6197F6-E3C7-4C3D-A8E2-0ADA0731D9AC.jpeg

Love it! Really nicely planned out, can't wait to see it all grown in!

• 7 months later...
36 minutes ago, roni said:

We need some updates!

+1

Holy cow, when did this turn into a matured tank!?

3 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

Holy cow, when did this turn into a matured tank!?

it literally all started growing like weeds around November. Some of this needs to be trimmed back!!

2 minutes ago, roni said:

Clearly you need to cut back on the steroids you're dosing!

? 

it’s just alk, calcium, and occasionally mag when the tank needs it. I swear!

• 4 months later...

Wow, you really experienced some growth!

The growth pattern on that stag makes for a nice centerpiece.  But what fish do you have in there now, I only see a Cardinal in the pics?