Orion's Deep Blue 57 Gallon Rimless

Orion

I also am getting a reefbrite. 7 blue plus and one purple plus for me! I've got 2 coral plus for switch if needed.

My montis sucked up my calk and alk. When I got rid of most of them, my alk shot up. I should have done what you're doing, but wasn't paying close enough attention to the numbers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

T5 bulb combo update.

Since I can't raise the light fixture any higher I replaced two of the blue plus with actinic bulbs. This has cut down on the amount of PAR overall, and added a lower spectrum to the mix.

I am getting a Reefbrite blue tech light to add some more "pop" to the corals as well.

Front

Reefbrite

Blue Plus

Actinic

Coral Plus

Purple Plus

Blue Plus

Actinic

Back

I really like the look of this combo, and can't wait to see how the Reefbrite looks. Not to mention the dusk/dawn combo of a Blue Plus and an Actinic Bulb looks much better to me than two Blue Pluses.

How's your overall color with this combination? I've got 2 blue plus running in addition to my PAR38 bulbs, and the tank is very very blue.

T5 bulb combo update.

Since I can't raise the light fixture any higher I replaced two of the blue plus with actinic bulbs. This has cut down on the amount of PAR overall, and added a lower spectrum to the mix.

I am getting a Reefbrite blue tech light to add some more "pop" to the corals as well.

Front

Reefbrite

Blue Plus

Actinic

Coral Plus

Purple Plus

Blue Plus

Actinic

Back

I really like the look of this combo, and can't wait to see how the Reefbrite looks. Not to mention the dusk/dawn combo of a Blue Plus and an Actinic Bulb looks much better to me than two Blue Pluses.

How's your overall color with this combination? I've got 2 blue plus running in addition to my PAR38 bulbs, and the tank is very very blue.

Blue plus bulbs are very blue but give the best growth out of any other T5 bulb ATI makes.

When all the lights are on this combo gives off a 18-20K look. Still a nice blue tint.

If I wanted more white I could swap the coral plus for a Aquablue Special.

You are always welcome to take a frag of anything you want out of the tank.

Thanks!

Here is a video I took of the tank yesterday running day time bulbs so you can see the colors of the fish better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJNB7-ahTn8&list=UU0Y8sgQgDnD0VifSrWSEeVg&index=1

Is that birds nest on the far left? Pink with green tips? I ♡ your tank

Is that birds nest on the far left? Pink with green tips? I ♡ your tank

Thanks!

Yes that was a birdsnest colony on the far left. I recently sold it to make room for more Acros.

A couple fish related updates -

Jawfish RIP. Cut on its gill finally got to him.

Anthias RIP. Not sure what happened to this guy. One day it was fine, and the next it couldn't swim or eat.

One spot foxface added.

Ruby Red Dragonet added.

Bangaii Cardinal added.

Nooooo to the anthias! And the Jawfish!

See that foxface eat bubble algae yet? Guess what I saw? My PURPLE TANG has a taste for it!!!

Just put the foxface in an acclimation box tonight.... with bubble algae. Marco thought that was hilarious.

No chewing of corals, no nipping of fins, and you will not go carpet surfing. This is not your tank.

Sorry to hear about your fish. Tank's looking great!

Edited by SunWyrm

No chewing of corals, no nipping of fins, and you will not go carpet surfing. This is not your tank.

Please tell me this is a Turner and Hooch reference?

Foxface is behaving himself for now. Really like this fish. Shame my tank will end up being too small for it when it gets big!

Foxface is behaving himself for now. Really like this fish. Shame my tank will end up being too small for it when it gets big!

Let me know when that day comes, I'd like to add a FF back into my system, and I know yours will be QT'd :)

Let me know when that day comes, I'd like to add a FF back into my system, and I know yours will be QT'd :)

Well if it doesn't eat any BA in a month or two he is all yours!

And that's correct. All fish in my system were QT'd before being placed in the display :)

Video update. 

This was taken this evening just after feeding.  The colors on all of the SPS are improving dramatically ever since I stopped using GFO, and cut Carbon in half.  Adding a few more fish probably helped too!

http://youtu.be/Oj_JX4RAT-I

Thanks Cliff. Now I'm just waiting patiently for everything to fill in.

I think the hardest part with SPS is knowing how every piece is going to grow out so you can place it properly. Still trying to figure it all out!

Lol. I just say I'll deal with that later! Mine have to actually grow for it ti be a problem.

Love the tank Ryan. It looks great. Have you named your ff yet? I've had one for months but still no name

Nah i don't typically name fish. My wife will probably end up coming up with one though.

Isaac should name him since the FF will eventually be his. :)

Added a Reefbrite (non-xho) strip to the T5 fixture last night. Wow I forgot how much more pop is added to the coral under royal blue LEDs.

Swapped the Coral Plus for an Aquablue Special due to the tank looking too "windex-y" with all bulbs on.

Light schedule is now close in line with World Wide Corals in Orlando -

10am Reefbrite on

12pm Actinic T5s on (2)

3pm All bulbs on (2 blue plus, 2 actinic, 1 Purple Plus, and 1 Aquablue Special)

8pm 4 bulbs off

9pm Actinics off

10pm Reefbrite Off