Orion's Deep Blue 57 Gallon Rimless

Orion

It's a nice feeling being able to just put fish in your tank worry free!

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New fish added last night from Marco/ERC

Pair of Pylei Wrasses - Gorgeous fish!!!

1 Blue/Green Chromis

1 Carberyyi Anthias

I was torn if I should get a Burgess Butterfly or not, but they are not 100% reef safe so I decided to get the Pylei Wrasses instead.  These fish will certainly add some color to the tank.  I acclimated them last night with the lights off in a dim room, and can't wait to see them once the lights come on later today.  

Pics in a couple of days once they all settle in.

Hey it was great meeting you last night!  It's great to see how far your tank has come in a short period of time.  It's looking really nice.  I also love that camera you have set up.  That acan is gorgeous!  Maybe we can swap acan frags sometime.  I need to take a few shots of mine this weekend.

Those fish are beautiful that you got.  My trigger was hiding in the rocks this morning when I left for work.  I talked with marco about getting some anthias down the road.  I really loved the coloring on the anal and caudal fins of that square spot anthias male.  Drool. 

Hey it was great meeting you last night!  It's great to see how far your tank has come in a short period of time.  It's looking really nice.  I also love that camera you have set up.  That acan is gorgeous!  Maybe we can swap acan frags sometime.  I need to take a few shots of mine this weekend.

Those fish are beautiful that you got.  My trigger was hiding in the rocks this morning when I left for work.  I talked with marco about getting some anthias down the road.  I really loved the coloring on the anal and caudal fins of that square spot anthias male.  Drool.

Great meeting you as well!

Let me know if you need any assistance setting up an Apex when you get one.

When you did your par meter readings here was the fixture still hung higher up (10" or so?) Do you think you would have had bleaching issues from LED's to T5 if you had just put the fixture in at the same height as the LED's?

When you did your par meter readings here was the fixture still hung higher up (10" or so?) Do you think you would have had bleaching issues from LED's to T5 if you had just put the fixture in at the same height as the LED's?

Yes. The fixture was hung about 10.5" above the water line when I took those readings.

It depends on the fixture, and bulb selection with regard to PAR output on T5s. ATI fixtures are simply the best out there as they provide the best cooling, and have the best reflectors. The light is an absolute PAR monster as I was getting 200 PAR on the sand almost 35" from the fixture! What I did to get my corals used to the light was put two layers of window screen across the top of the tank, and over the course of a month remove a layer every two weeks to see how they respond. So to answer your question, yes, if you are using an ATI fixture you can definitely bleach coral coming from LED.

Most T5s are hung really high over a tank. Marco has his hung at least 20" over his frag tank, and if I could hang my light higher, I would.

This morning I was doing a little maintenance, along with a water change. I noticed in the tiny fuge section of the sump that the chaeto I had was being overtaken by bubble algae. Rather than try to pick out all the BA I just ended up throwing everything out. So I think I am going to go without a fuge for awhile and see how it works out.

I plan on removing a couple of rocks from the DT during a water change in the near future to really work on the BA problem via manual removal.

Thanks for the quick reply on the T5's. As for the BA, I would just keep buying emeralds until you see a huge dent, but I'm ridiculous like that sometimes, and lazy.

Thanks for the quick reply on the T5's. As for the BA, I would just keep buying emeralds until you see a huge dent, but I'm ridiculous like that sometimes, and lazy.

You also have a much bigger tank than I do. It won't take much time for me to remove some rock and work on it. The tricky part will be not to knock off or break any corals in the process!

Just do it!  I removed and scrubbed every rock out of my tank this past weekend due to hair algae...  It's a pain, but will make you feel good in the end.

I am recruiting you to help!

Cool pics!

I love that zoa pic of the Rasta's!

I don't think I have seen a good macro pic that shows how they spread till now!

(edited)

I'll help for a frag.

You are always welcome to take a frag of anything you want out of the tank.

Cool pics!

I love that zoa pic of the Rasta's!

I don't think I have seen a good macro pic that shows how they spread till now!

Thanks! 

Here is a video I took of the tank yesterday running day time bulbs so you can see the colors of the fish better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJNB7-ahTn8&list=UU0Y8sgQgDnD0VifSrWSEeVg&index=1

Edited by Orion

I have declared war on bubble algae.

Took two large rocks out. Used needle nose pliers, and a flat head screwdriver. Both rocks are clean, but a couple corals were damaged slightly. Nothing major that a couple months of new growth won't fix.

I can't take the other rocks out the way the aquascape is set up so the next step is to buy a small foxface and let him get the rest for a few months (hopefully). If that doesn't work then it's off to get 10 emerald crabs. Yes, I said 10!

I want this crap gone!

Bubble algae down the drain.  Orion 1  BA 0

15032226601_22f8707e7f_b.jpg

lol Good Luck.  As of right now the score is BA=10256783940 TG=0  

Got it under control but still not 100% gone

lol Good Luck.  As of right now the score is BA=10256783940 TG=0  

Got it under control but still not 100% gone

I started this tank with dry rock so I wouldn't get BA. The only thing I can think of is that it hitchhiked on some acan frags from my old system. I should have probably sold or tossed the frags to avoid this issue completely.

Lol...I got a few tiny emerald crabs from reefcleaners .... They decimated my bubble algae :) though I wish they liked hair algae,lol

Okay I got 2 from John at reefcleaners that only eat hair algae and LRS food. I'll trade you!

Lol great idea..though I'm gonna say you're gonna have to catch mine,lol they hide with the stupid shrimp under the rocks...evil evil I say..only come out at night I think...and quick! Those little ones are so quick!

• 2 weeks later...

Sold the birdsnest colony which was fairly large for this size tank, and guess what? Calcium and alkalinity started to rise over the next few days after it left. It turned out that big colony was sucking up a lot of calcium/alkalinity! I was dosing 50ml of calcium/alk each, and I shut both dosers off today. I'll re-check the parameters over the next couple days to see what the new consumption rate becomes, but even after lowering both to 30ml/day each calcium and alk were still climbing.

Going to stop adding corals for awhile, or at least attempt to :) and focus on water quality. Even though I have seen a vast improvement in color in the SPS, I think it can be better.

T5 bulb combo update.

Since I can't raise the light fixture any higher I replaced two of the blue plus with actinic bulbs. This has cut down on the amount of PAR overall, and added a lower spectrum to the mix.

I am getting a Reefbrite blue tech light to add some more "pop" to the corals as well.

Front

Reefbrite

Blue Plus

Actinic

Coral Plus

Purple Plus

Blue Plus

Actinic

Back

I really like the look of this combo, and can't wait to see how the Reefbrite looks. Not to mention the dusk/dawn combo of a Blue Plus and an Actinic Bulb looks much better to me than two Blue Pluses.