How many of you DON'T use GFO?

miggs76

After using GFO for over a year I decided to pull the plug.  I initially used it to get over a cyano outbreak, but that was when my tank was only 5 or 6 months old.  It is now a fairly mature tank of about 20 months.  It hasn't even been a week but I'm seeing some really positive results in coloration of my corals.  There hasn't been an algae outbreak either.  I'm wondering if I'm in the minority.  My phosphates are still at .01 with a hanna ultra low phosphorous checker.  Unless I see things going downhill, I'm keeping the plug pulled.  What say you'all?

I just got annoyed with the mess it made despite my best efforts during the month I ran rowaphos. Now I have a powerful grow light over my fuge and grow shocking quantities of cheato and hair algae which I toss, and it seems to be keeping both NO3 and PO4 very low.

Keep it pulled. I ran my last tank for several years after pulling the plug on GFO. Worked fine. I had a little phosphate creep recently and put the GFO back on this "new" tank but may pull it again sometime down stream. I'm not wedded to GFO.

For those that don't use it, is a refugium a must have in place of gfo?

The key here is that GFO is a tool. Use it when you need it.

Sent from my Rezound on Tachyon using Tapatalk

wow...I'm glad I put this thread up.  I figured that most people ran GFO but it looks like that isn't the case. 

I've run it in the past, but just haven't gotten around to reinstalling it in my current setup - I even created a port off of my manifold just to feed my BRS Dual GFO/Carbon reactor. I did have a pretty significant break out of cyano, but I think that was due mostly to the fact that my skimmer was out of commission for a couple weeks while it got dialed in when it's feed was transferred to the manifold.

In general, I agree with much of what's been said, it's a tool to be used on an as-needed basis.

But sometimes its not about the best method but about multiple methods for purposes of backup. What you gonna do if your cheato fails while you're away? If you got GFO running your saved.

Never used it, and don't plan on it.  In an emergency........maybe, but I think it just points to another problem in the tank that needs to be solved.

I agree with Steve 100% on this one.