How many of you DON'T use GFO?

miggs76

I use GFO but I don't change very often. The other day I was talking to another wamas member about my coral growth during this past summer and he asked if I did so something different and I said NO. However after seeing this thread I remember that I installed the GFO/Carbon system in the spring 2013. I don't know if there is anyhing to do but my corals triple the size over the summer.

I don't use anything that has to be written in initials like GFO or GAC. I only like full word things that are not abreivated like water, rocks and Jello

Edited by paul b

I pulled mine last summer. GHA started multiplying rapidly. Lots of algae on glass built up quick. Started it back up again a month later. After seeing this thread and no more GHA in tank I'm thinking about pulling it again. The tank is more mature now also.

so for those of you that don't use GFO do you use carbon? or are you anti all things reactor?

I used to run carbon on freshwater tanks. I feel like an exception to the rule, but I don't want to have to put anything in without a need, and my levels stay right about where they need to be with heavy skimming and water changes. My water looks super clear, IMO, but maybe I'd see a huge change if I tried it?

If you don't need GFO, don't run it BUT its a very good idea to keep it on hand if 'trates start spiking. To rely on one and only one method of nutrient export is risky. People who overstock may wish to consider running GFO always.

Had a 20G tank long once upon a time and the water was so green you couldn't see through it. Ran carbon and the water was crystal clear in 48 hours.

I have always ran Rowaphos and have even been running ChemiPure Elite ever since my Cyano outbreak at the beginning of the year.

I'm thinking of pulling them out of the system this weekend, especially after reading these post.  I'll be keeping an eye on my phosphates and nitrates after I do, just encase.

Question for those not running it... Are you guys running carbon?

I have always ran Rowaphos and have even been running ChemiPure Elite ever since my Cyano outbreak at the beginning of the year.

I'm thinking of pulling them out of the system this weekend, especially after reading these post.  I'll be keeping an eye on my phosphates and nitrates after I do, just encase.

Question for those not running it... Are you guys running carbon?

Regardless of whether or not I've had GFO in my system, I've always run carbon.

Never used it, and don't plan on it.  In an emergency........maybe, but I think it just points to another problem in the tank that needs to be solved.

What would other problems be and how could you solve them? What emergency would call for gfo?

I am goin to also agree, it's a tool and a good one when used in the correctly and in the right situation.

Do you run carbon in bags or reactors?

Almost always reactors for me (because I had the space and wanted the flow through).

Edit: I ran bagged carbon in my old Biocube 24 and 34 gallon RSM a while back.

There is a fish diseases associated with running carbon in tumblers. I cannot recall WHAT THE DISEASE IS.

well not proven

Its from fines being released when its not packed and allowed to tumble

Hlle

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

There is a fish disease associated with running carbon in tumblers. I cannot recall WHAT THE DISEASE IS.

HLLE is linked to carbon fines suspended in the water column. This is not a reason in and of itself not to run carbon in reactors. First, do not tumble aggressively. In fact, if you can pack it in between two sponges it won't tumble at all. Second, pick the right type of carbon - Lignite for example, or ROX (which is extruded and hardened). Soft carbon-based GAC can be a problem. Third, if you are fluidizing your carbon in a reactor, run the effluent through a filter sock to capture the fines. Reactors give improved contact with the water flowing through a reactor.

The benefits of carbon far outweigh the very manageable risks of HLLE in my opinion.

HLLE is linked to carbon fines suspended in the water column.

It's also linked to phases of the moon, Rap music, transmission fluid, stray electricity, viruses, sea water, fresh water, bottled water, magnetism and just about everything else  :unsure:

Here's the HLLE thing from a few years ago. There were many, many reasons hypothesized up until 2011 when linkage was found to carbon fines.

Yes Tom, I read that and know about it.  I still feel that Rap music is worse as I don't use carbon and my hippo's still get HLLE.  That is why I don't get any more hippo tangs.

Of course it could also be from the 35 years I did use it and it may still be in my tank.  OK, so now I have to get another hippo tang.  But Tom.  If it develops HLLE, I am donating it to you. :rolleyes:

Interesting. I dont run carbon but I know the tank owner before me did. My tang developed a lateral line ulcer near its tail under my care soon after moving it to my house. It hasnt gone away. I always thought the stress and water quality after the move caused it.